Barry Trotz compares Auston Matthews to Mario Lemieux

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
When a coach makes that comparison, it's worth discussing.

Yes I agree..... Just not a Leaf player, which is stupid. If this was Gretz talking about Mcdavid being more dominant than Orr, it would be fantastic and agreed upon by all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ThewThew

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Nowhere in there, does Arthur claim that Matthews is a shoo-in for the Hart. It discusses the idea that he should be in the conversation for the award -- prompted by a comment by one of Matthews' teammates.

He will 100 percent be in the discussion, only a hater would not really see the impact he has.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

DeeQ

Apr 1, 2017
When a coach makes that comparison, it's worth discussing.

So you must agree that it was worth discussing last year when Laine was compared to him?

Last edited by a moderator:

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I was going to say something negative about Mathews but its not his fault Barry Trotz is clueless

Agreed! he should have kept his opinion to himself on this one, not that he cares about HFboards, but Auston doesn't deserve the venom that gets spewed at him. Sad that most cannot enjoy the talent in the league for what it is.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Some people around here don't realize how good Matthews really is. Stop letting the leaf hate cloud your mind.

Reactions: ThewThew

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
We also have Roenick saying he will be the best American player ever..... I feel my A*S already getting sore from the pounding Leaf fans will take on this, but it's the ESPN, TSN, Sportsnet, and NHL.com's of the world killing us! Industry professionals and analysts don't understand the amount of hate we get from these things.
That's not even that impressive though.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Oh yes. So you also agree it was worth discussing?

Can't remember who originally said it, but no it was not, and in all honesty this is not either, but who am I to really say. Honestly, it is almost an insult to the legends of the game to be compared to any young player, because they are kids, Mcdavid included.

Some could have certain similar attributes, but lets leave them alone, let them play hockey a bit longer.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Oh brother, more noise. No AM is not close in anyway to Mario. /thread and premise

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Oh yes. So you also agree it was worth discussing?

I will say that if real hockey minds in the sport say this, we can discuss, it is allowed. I just think no matter what it is something that is not really comparable with such young careers.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
So you must agree that it was worth discussing last year when Laine was compared to him?

that was based on an offhand comment by a scout at McKeens, Grant McCagg

"I can't honestly recall scouting a forward over 6-4 with a skill set as similar to Mario's as Laine's," says McCagg. "The way he creates space when he has the puck, his hands, his release, his shot, his vision...maybe he's not quite at Mario's level...but he's not that far off. He's a tier above Rick Nash at the same age...and as we know both Nash and Mario were first overall picks. I have a hard time thinking anyone should be drafted ahead of him even if I really like Matthews a lot...I see a future 50-goal NHL scorer, maybe a 60-goal guy. I don't see that same upside with Matthews."

you'll also notice he thinks Matthews will go second and had Mike McLeod going 3rd overall, so there is that, the other thing is that McCagg does not work for any NHL team, he does not work for ISS nor CSS...so he's more a fan like you and I and an obsessive collector of information who fancies himself as an honest to god scout

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
I keep forgetting that Matthews is American. I don't know why I think of him as a Good Ol' Western Canadian boy.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Can't remember who originally said it, but no it was not, and in all honesty this is not either, but who am I to really say. Honestly, it is almost an insult to the legends of the game to be compared to any young player, because they are kids, Mcdavid included.

Some could have certain similar attributes, but lets leave them alone, let them play hockey a bit longer.
McKeen's scout McCagg, Alexander Moginly and Jari Kurri compared him to Lemieux in his draft season + Marian Hossa in the last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad