Barry Trotz compares Auston Matthews to Mario Lemieux

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I meant the exact opposite, I wish they would all shut up lol it creates so much hatred on boards like this.

Agreed. Lets wait until he even has a PPG season first before we compare him to the greats.

Reactions: DanM

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
This thread just made my day. Thanks everyone. Inc Mr. Trotz.

Who would win in a fight, Superman or Austin Mathews?

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Lemieux is a band apart, but Auston's release is one of a kind. He's also quite solid on his skates, rarely pressured off the puck and the game seems to slow around him. Just a unique talent, Leafs are lucky to have him. Trade offers would be interesting if he were to hit the market.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
This probably could have gone in that "What do other people think of Auston Matthews" thread tbh. This is what Trotz thinks. Nice to read.

Reactions: bukwas

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Agreed. Lets wait until he even has a PPG season first before we compare him to the greats.

Agreed! It's one thing to compare to current stars, but Mario is legendary status, and a different era. Honestly, I am just happy it didn't come from a fan, but still annoying.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
All of the noteworthy lists have him ranked as a top-10 player in the world.

One of the most knowledgeable coaches in the world has no issues praising him as a generational talent.

But the HFBoards experts still believe he's overrated and should get around 35 goals and 70 points this year.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Matthews is a way better 2-way player than Lemieux was, and he's going to have better longevity because he takes fitness and diet much more seriously. and plays for the Leafs.

Muggs

Oct 29, 2016
Matthews doesn't really remind me of anyone to be honest. He's his own special blend.

That being said, Barry is a smart hockey guy.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
He reminds me of a young Rory Calhoun

I'm pretty sure Rory was better with a six shooter, and Auston is miles ahead as a puck handler

With what happened last year one could have fun in this thread.
But I won't and instead ask nicely if we could not create 20 new Leafs related threads every day.

They have a bright future with future superstars on the roster but there should be a limit, these won't end well in the end.

i agree 100%, difference being this is an nhl coach actually being on the record as saying this, instead of the "many people are saying" that the thread last year was based around:nod:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Agreed! It's one thing to compare to current stars, but Mario is legendary status, and a different era. Honestly, I am just happy it didn't come from a fan, but still annoying.

I just wish we could see Matthews at the Olympics playing with the games best, as an american I think we'd have a shot to beat Canada.

Reactions: DanM and Muggs

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
When I watch Matthews play, I see a mix of Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky, Sergei Makarov with a dash of Steve Yzerman.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Look! Another leafs thread! Would like to congratulate auston matthews on this colossal achievement

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I just wish we could see Matthews at the Olympics playing with the games best, as an american I think we'd have a shot to beat Canada.

You know, that would be amazing! I agree, USA would have a great shot, especially with Auston and Jack down the middle to start :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad