Barry Trotz compares Auston Matthews to Mario Lemieux

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I can see the style comparison actually, talent level aside. Not particularly fast but supreme control over the puck with a wide wing span. Matthews is also a cerebral player that makes everything look smooth and easy. Love watching him play.

I don't quite see the same playmaking though. That's what made Lemieux the level of player he was. Second greatest playmaker and hockey iq ever behind only Gretzky.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
What's the point of being a fan if you can't pump tires?

Should I silently wish well for my team, while simultaneously making sure all opposing fans think I am a bipartisan commentator?

Reactions: ThewThew

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Trotz really loves Matthew. When he skates by tonight, Trotz will stick his neck out just a wee bit.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
lol that might have been how the talks began but I can straight up tell you that I got into debates with people that took it a lot farther then a stylistic comparison last season.

And you should know these threads will turn ugly and will be painfull to listen to for a year.

Comments of few are made to comments by the whole nation.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I can see the style comparison actually, talent level aside. Not particularly fast but supreme control over the puck with a wide wing span. Matthews is also a cerebral player that makes everything look smooth and easy. Love watching him play.

I don't quite see the same playmaking though. That's what made Lemieux the level of player he was. Second greatest playmaker and hockey iq ever behind only Gretzky.

Yeah he doesn't have anywhere close to the vision and playmaking abilities of Lemieux, infact he is behind Nylander and Marner there.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

I love Matthews, but putting him in a sentence with Mario is tough. Let him be Matthews and write his own story, but it is a little flattering I guess. Man oh man Mario was something, I just have that guy in a whole other league lol

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
I will say that effortless mannerism he has while playing does remind me of Lemieux, especially the way he shoots the puck, that most of all mimics Lemieux. Mario had this ability to shot from anywhere in what looked to be a lackadaisical way but was actually quite dangerous because of his accuracy and strength.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
People here seem to be misunderstanding him, he compared him to a young Mario Lemieux, not a prime Lemieux. A young Lemieux, for his first 3 seasons was not close to being the best player in the league yet, especially in his first two. He also was a black hole defensively, so those are some things to consider. It also goes without saying how much higher scoring the league was when Lemieux came in compared to now.

In Mario's 2nd season he had 141 points in 79 games and won the Ted Lindsay.

I like Matthews, but no. He's not in the discussion with Lemieux, or Gretzky, or any other all-time great. Crosby and Ovechkin are barely in that discussion, if at all, and they've got a body of work of more than a decade and a zillion awards between them.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
Comments like this make me warm inside.

Seriously, though: While it's definitely early and one cannot justifiably compare Matthews to Mario in terms of production and career longevity yet, Matthews is a generational player and could well end up being considered one of the League's best of all time.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I will say that effortless mannerism he has while playing does remind me of Lemieux, especially the way he shoots the puck, that most of all mimics Lemieux. Mario had this ability to shot from anywhere in what looked to be a lackadaisical way but was actually quite dangerous because of his accuracy and strength.

The closest player stylistically I've seen to Lemieux is Malkin. I think if you were to compare Matthews's style to Malkin's people might still disagree but there would be a lot less blowback than comparing him to one of the all-time legends in the history of the NHL.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'm a big lemieux fan. But so what? Matthews is great and it's not like Gretzky and lemieux are some god like figures we can't compare anyone to.

Lemieux >> Matthews. Doesn't mean Matthews can't have a similar skill set and also do great.

Reactions: Pi and Garthinater

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad