Barry Trotz compares Auston Matthews to Mario Lemieux

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
And that was not the only comparison.
So several people made the comparison with Laine and a coach made the comparison with Matthews.

I'm just saying that it's silly to act that the situation is any different.

and i'm saying that McCagg got his wires crossed and misheard, misunderstood and then misreported

seriously think about it, if Selanne or Kurri had made that comparison at all, the NA Hockey media, would've been on that like a fat kid on a cupcake, and blazed the headline on their front pages, made it the lead-in on their television presentations and yet none of that happened....you need to ask yourself why!

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
We also have Roenick saying he will be the best American player ever..... I feel my A*S already getting sore from the pounding Leaf fans will take on this, but it's the ESPN, TSN, Sportsnet, and NHL.com's of the world killing us! Industry professionals and analysts don't understand the amount of hate we get from these things.
I rather like all the attention matthews gets and love when things like this happen because "Papi" is locked away in Toronto and the rest of the world doesn't get enough exposure. He has only 1 sponsor in tv, there is no billboards with his face anywhere so things like this help bring his rep up.
Also grow a pair.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
I don't get the comparison at all. Huge Matthews fan but he couldn't hold Lemieux's jockstrap and he does not play like him at all. I see a crosby-lite if anything.

Reactions: ThewThew

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Meh. Didn't Trotz also call him generational last year too? Coaches have their favourites too and Matthews checks off a lot of boxes that coaches like.

It's not surprising to hear praise from other coaches about Matthews even if its just hyperbole.

Matthews is generational

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I have the same opinion as I did with the Laine=Lemieux threads from last year.

If you want to compare them stylistically, I really have no problem with that. Even though I don't agree with it for both players, it's all opinion based and who am I to say your perception is wrong.

Saying he's going to be AS good as Lemieux, it's ridiculous at this point. Matthews is in his second season and to compare him to the 2nd best player to ever play the game is getting EXTREMELY ahead of yourself. Lets wait to see if the kid can challenge for the Hart before comparing him to one of the best in history. I love Matthews, truly a special player, but it's far too early to be comparing him to the bests, as it was with Laine last year, and it is with McDavid at this moment.

Reactions: Pi

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I liked the main board more when the Leafs sucked.

I am sure you did. Lots of fun to be had back then.

-Waffles on the ice
-Team not saluting the fans
-Burke was bigger than the team
-Kessel being picked last in the All star draft and the trade being mocked endlessly
-Fans wearing paper bags and booing the team
-Jerseys being thrown on the ice

If I was someone who didn't like the Leafs, I would definitely like that version of the Leafs better than the current one.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
This may come as a shock to some but NHL coaches can have ulterior motives for pumping the tires of the opposing team.

Are you trying to imply that he doesn't believe the statement, but is pumping the tires as a secret plan to inflate the Salary of Matthews?

If not, then I'll need you to explain this to me as it must have gone over my head.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
At 19 year old Mario had 140pts on a putrid team. That was 60 more pts than the 2nd best. Mario and Wayne were the best players to ever play this game and no, mcdavid and matthews are no were close to these 2. Not now, not tomorrow.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I am sure you did. Lots of fun to be had back then.

-Waffles on the ice
-Team not saluting the fans
-Burke was bigger than the team
-Kessel being picked last in the All star draft and the trade being mocked endlessly
-Fans wearing paper bags and booing the team
-Jerseys being thrown on the ice

If I was someone who didn't like the Leafs, I would definitely like that version of the Leafs better than the current one.

I don’t mind the Leafs. Fun team to watch.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Matthews is generational

I don't agree but that's fine. I have a more stringent attitude towards using the "generational" label and as such Matthews is not there yet. That being said I may be able to concede now that Matthews has generational potential.

Reactions: francis246

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I love matthews, but never ever listen to what an opposing coach says about the opposition heading into the game. Those statements aren't actual takes, they are just part of whatever message that coach is trying to send.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad