Barry Trotz compares Auston Matthews to Mario Lemieux

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Stylistically I don't think he's wrong, the way he weaves around players without top-end speed is very Lemieux/Jagr like, they're very good at handling the puck far away from their body.

Reactions: therealkoho

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
That's ridiculous. Trotz doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. We already have a "young Lemieux" in the league and that's Patrik Laine.

Matthews is Gretzky on steroids.

And Werenski is Orr reincarnated.

Reactions: DanM

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Can you imagine the damage Mario could do without all the obstruction. There certainly would be an offensive seperation.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I don't 100 percent disagree, they all need to stop and let this kid be Auston and see where it takes him, instead of proclaiming him anything. Plus it gives Leaf fans a break from the beatings on here lol

imagine the beatings during the parade, tough luck for those on the outside looking in...it's so funny they can't stand it

Muggs

Oct 29, 2016
I don't 100 percent disagree, they all need to stop and let this kid be Auston and see where it takes him, instead of proclaiming him anything. Plus it gives Leaf fans a break from the beatings on here lol

I wouldn't worry about Leaf bashers on here, they are largely irrelevant. Get used to it and embrace it. The fact some make it a mission is something to relish.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Can you imagine the damage Mario could do without all the obstruction. There certainly would be an offensive seperation.

Oh it would be impossible to stop him, I can't even imagine the damage he would do. Made defensemen like Ray Bourque look like pee wee players back in the day :popcorn::popcorn:

Reactions: Sundinisagod

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
With what happened last year one could have fun in this thread.
But I won't and instead ask nicely if we could not create 20 new Leafs related threads every day.

They have a bright future with future superstars on the roster but there should be a limit, these won't end well in the end.
How exactly could you? lol There were actually legit pages on pages of discussion and debate with people that actually believed Laine was comparable to Mario last year. This is basically a one off.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

the obstruction didn't really start until the 2000's, when Mario was winding down, through the 80's and 90's the game was pretty free wheeling, and importantly no cap

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think Trotz is right.

Matthews isn't the "next" Mario. Lemieux for my money is the best offensive force the sport has ever seen. For me, Orr is the best all-around player of all-time, Lemieux the best offensive player of all-time, Gretzky is the greatest as he accomplished more than any player, but 5 Marios beat 5 Waynes every day of the week.

But Matthews STYLE is like Mario. Neither were super-fast but above-average speed. Both had big bodies and expansive wing-spans, but neither were terribly physical players.

Both are adept passers, posses devastating wrist shots, super-soft hands, great hand-eye, and are very creative offensively. Matthews has that ice-water vein composure with the puck like Mario that few have.

The style comparison is sound.

Reactions: TDK88 and Sky04

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
How exactly could you? lol There were actually legit pages on pages of discussion and debate with people that actually believed Laine was comparable to Mario last year. This is basically a one off.
Laine doesn't play for the Leafs, it means he is automatically legendary

Reactions: ThewThew

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
fans believed, this is an nhl coach

nobody that plays. coaches or manages at that level pays attention to the fans, it's a sad truth, but a truth never the less

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
People here seem to be misunderstanding him, he compared him to a young Mario Lemieux, not a prime Lemieux. A young Lemieux, for his first 3 seasons was not close to being the best player in the league yet, especially in his first two. He also was a black hole defensively, so those are some things to consider. It also goes without saying how much higher scoring the league was when Lemieux came in compared to now.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm pretty sure Rory was better with a six shooter, and Auston is miles ahead as a puck handler

i agree 100%, difference being this is an nhl coach actually being on the record as saying this, instead of the "many people are saying" that the thread last year was based around:nod:

99% of the talk was style comparisons that some loved to turn into ceiling projections.
We have different hype threats here everywhere now.

We had to listen ......... all year because of those comments made by ex/current NHL players/NHL experts.
And now this forum is just full of Leafs related threats, everywhere you go. I understand Leafs fans are happy, they should be, it's a helluva time to be a fan. But these threats won't turn this forum better, just worse.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
99% of the talk was style comparisons that some loved to turn into ceiling projections.
We have different hype threats here everywhere now.

We had to listen ......... all year because of those comments made by ex/current NHL players/NHL experts.
And now this forum is just full of Leafs related threats, everywhere you go. I understand Leafs fans are happy, they should be, it's a helluva time to be a fan. But these threats won't turn this forum better, just worse.
lol that might have been how the talks began but I can straight up tell you that I got into debates with people that took it a lot farther then a stylistic comparison last season.

Reactions: therealkoho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad