Barry Trotz compares Auston Matthews to Mario Lemieux

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Nice bit of gamesmanship. Babcock needs to counter with something like "Holtby has the best glove hand he has ever seen..."

Reactions: Hunter368

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Man... I made that same comparison in the Mcdavid vs Matthews thread yesterday

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
I think the word generational is used too often. We say Connor is generational because he was called that as a young player growing up, I think it was the worst thing to happen to him, and it doesn't even make it true. I really can't say who or what is generational, but the Orr's, Howe's, Mario's, Gretz's, Roy's, and maybe Sids of the world seem like they were, I feel it was more slapped on Connor. I still love him though!

Agreed. I'm not even sure McDavid is generational yet, let alone anyone else mentioned. To me Lemieux and arguably Jagr are the last generational players to play the game.

Would it be such a bad thing to let Matthews just play hockey without these crazy burdens to carry around by his fanbase?

Reactions: Casanova and DanM

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Would it be such a bad thing to let Matthews just play hockey without these crazy burdens to carry around by his fanbase?

You can't seriously be obtuse enough to think Matthews actually cares or knows what HF users are saying about him, are you?

It's okay to admit that you simply just don't like reading about it because it makes you feel insecure/bothered about McDavid. Which is also ridiculous because McDavid is one hell of a f***ing player.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Agreed. I'm not even sure McDavid is generational yet, let alone anyone else mentioned. To me Lemieux and arguably Jagr are the last generational players to play the game.

Agreed! I feel like Mario was truly the last one, Jagr sounds close as well. These kids should all be allowed to create their own legends, they don't need us jumping all over them, picking them apart.

I will say this about Mcdavid though, the one thing I see that could potentially put him in the generational convo is that his speed could change the game. Not just the speed, and also the way he thinks at that speed, he could get faster still and he is already unreal.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's hard to conclusively identify a generational player during their time because you can't simply use the bar that separated generational players in previous generations.

Otherwise it'll be Gretzky, Orr and Lemieux until the end of time.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
You can't seriously be obtuse enough to think Matthews actually cares or knows what HF users are saying about him, are you?

It's okay to admit that you simply just don't like reading about it because it makes you feel insecure/bothered about McDavid. Which is also ridiculous because McDavid is one hell of a ****ing player.

He was only sharing his opinion. McdavidCrushedLarkin is a good poster, makes good points. I don't believe he feels that way at all...

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
What I really want to know, Barry, is if last year during the playoffs, did Matthews' unique blend of size and skills...give Caps Dmen the Trotz?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
It's hard to conclusively identify a generational player during their time because you can't simply use the bar that separated generational players in previous generations.

Otherwise it'll be Gretzky, Orr and Lemieux until the end of time.

But just maybe that's all right now? Maybe we are still waiting for another?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
But just maybe that's all right now? Maybe we are still waiting for another?

The margin of their offensive dominance was off the charts, but they also played during offensive friendly eras.

Does their advantage compound in that kind of situation?

For example, normalized by era, Ovechkin's goal scoring is truly generational.

Pnep used to post the top goal scoring seasons normalized by goals scored in the league and he occupied a lot of those slots of best seasons of all-time.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
The margin of their offensive dominance was off the charts, but they also played during offensive friendly eras.

Does their advantage compound in that kind of situation?

For example, normalized by era, Ovechkin's goal scoring is truly generational.

Pnep used to post the top goal scoring seasons normalized by goal scored in the league and he occupied a lot of those slots of best seasons of all-time.

Good points! It is difficult to compare with the style and era of play, I guess if we do it that way it would open things up more to how truly great some players seasons were...

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
He was only sharing his opinion. McdavidCrushedLarkin is a good poster, makes good points. I don't believe he feels that way at all...

To clarify, I wasn't calling him obtuse. Just the notion that our (Leaf fans) insane expectations are somehow going to be a burden to Matthews, which is ridiculous. Matthews is a grounded kid, he knows what is expected out of him, and also based on things he has said, it seems he expects even more out of himself.

I just don't see why some Oiler fans get so up in arms when the Matthews vs McDavid debate comes up. It's way too premature still, what we know is McDavid just potted 100+ points and cleaned up @ the awards in his sophomore season, yet some of them still act pretty insecure when it's brought up. Both are going to be incredible players, as of now you obviously have to predict McDavid stays the better player -- but it really isn't so crazy to think that Matthews could challenge him in some seasons.

Just wanted to clarify what I meant as it seemed like I was attacking that poster, which wasn't what I was trying to do.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
To clarify, I wasn't calling him obtuse. Just the notion that our (Leaf fans) insane expectations are somehow going to be a burden to Matthews, which is ridiculous. Matthews is a grounded kid, he knows what is expected out of him, and also based on things he has said, it seems he expects even more out of himself.

I just don't see why some Oiler fans get so up in arms when the Matthews vs McDavid debate comes up. It's way too premature still, what we know is McDavid just potted 100+ points and cleaned up @ the awards in his sophomore season, yet some of them still act pretty insecure when it's brought up. Both are going to be incredible players, as of now you obviously have to predict McDavid stays the better player -- but it really isn't so crazy to think that Matthews could challenge him in some seasons.

Just wanted to clarify what I meant as it seemed like I was attacking that poster, which wasn't what I was trying to do.

Fair Fair :) and all very vaild points as well

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
I won't. I personally embrace the hate. I can read the jealousy that goes on with the other fanbases. Specially Habs fans. :)
Why do you assume Habs fans hate the Leafs ? neither team has won in a long time hopefully one of these years it happens for one of them

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Why do you assume Habs fans hate the Leafs ? neither team has won in a long time hopefully one of these years it happens for one of them

I actually agree 100 percent! Yes we both have idiots among our fanbase, and we don't love each other, but I for one have a LOT of respect for the Habs, how can you love hockey and not respect such an organization, same with the Leafs, we are two storied franchises.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
All of the noteworthy lists have him ranked as a top-10 player in the world.

One of the most knowledgeable coaches in the world has no issues praising him as a generational talent.

But the HFBoards experts still believe he's overrated and should get around 35 goals and 70 points this year.

I think says a lot about how serious people should take HF posters' opinions. It's generally just bias drivel, especially when it comes to Matthews.

Reactions: ThewThew

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If anyone is similar to Mario in the NHL it's Malkin.
He's probably the closest.

I don't think Laine or Matthews plays like Mario. Mario's game was more graceful than Matthews, although Matthews has great hands and is elite at driving the center of the ice similar to Mario. Laine has similar size and some flair moves but plays a way more perimeter game, tending to hang out between the hash-marks and the blueline waiting for a pass like Brett Hull, but obviously, has good vision and passing (Hull did too), but Laine is bigger and more mobile.

Reactions: Stad and FVM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad