Barry Trotz compares Auston Matthews to Mario Lemieux

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

From Sportsnet:

"Auston Matthews show rolls through town.
Barry Trotz saw first hand what the young American is capable of when his team faced the Maple Leafs in the playoffs this past April. This week the Capitals head coach has made a lofty comparison between the Maple Leafs star and an all-time great.

Trotz referred to Matthews as “a young Mario Lemieux” when speaking with reporters in Washington Tuesday.

“If he was playing 20 years ago, we’d be saying he’s Mario Lemieux-like,” Trotz told reporters Monday. “He’s [tall], he skates great, he’s got unbelievable hands, and a hockey IQ and he’s strong on the puck.”

Last edited by a moderator:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
this is Barry Trotz saying this

Barry Trotz is a fairly respected NHL coach, by many here and many who are in the hockey business

is he right or is he wrong?

discuss

Last edited:

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Yay another Leafs thread, I was concerned we were only at like 6 on the first page before this post.

I won't even touch this. Thank god it's hockey people and not fans saying it though. I am still preparing to get dumped on HUGE

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Trotz seems to love Matthews more than I do

We also have Roenick saying he will be the best American player ever..... I feel my A*S already getting sore from the pounding Leaf fans will take on this, but it's the ESPN, TSN, Sportsnet, and NHL.com's of the world killing us! Industry professionals and analysts don't understand the amount of hate we get from these things.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Meh. Didn't Trotz also call him generational last year too? Coaches have their favourites too and Matthews checks off a lot of boxes that coaches like.

It's not surprising to hear praise from other coaches about Matthews even if its just hyperbole.

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
I think before anyone overreacts, they should read this...

Matthews has 45 goals and 77 points in his first 87 regular-season games in the NHL. Lemieux had 52 goals and 122 points in his first 87 appearances, but point production isn’t the only thing that comes to mind when comparing the two centres.
“If he was playing 20 years ago, we’d be saying he’s Mario Lemieux-like,” Trotz told reporters Monday. “He’s [tall], he skates great, he’s got unbelievable hands, and a hockey IQ and he’s strong on the puck.”

Reactions: BagHead

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
We also have Roenick saying he will be the best American player ever..... I feel my A*S already getting sore from the pounding Leaf fans will take on this, but it's the ESPN, TSN, Sportsnet, and NHL.com's of the world killing us! Industry professionals and analysts don't understand the amount of hate we get from these things.
Well if Roenick said it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
With what happened last year one could have fun in this thread.
But I won't and instead ask nicely if we could not create 20 new Leafs related threads every day.

They have a bright future with future superstars on the roster but there should be a limit, these won't end well in the end.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Matthews is one of the greatest of all time. We are all in 100% agreement. Leafs fans can be happy he is the best and do not need to compare him to anyone any more.

Reactions: DDRhockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad