A Letter to Jon Ledecky

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I love these "as a fan this guy must go or else I am not going to be spending my money on them" topics, I remember the same thing was done about Yashin back in 06 how he needed to be bought out or else the fans were going to boycott, well he was bought out, and the Islanders proceeded to suck , the fans were calling for Capuano's head last year and he was fired and how did that turn out for the Islanders? anyway Snow may or may not return but I am willing to bet our success is not going to be any worse or greater with him or without him here, he has made some bad moves he has made some good moves
So why do we have 4 playoff appearances in 12 years where half the league makes the playoffs? Puck luck? Battle level?

Reactions: BTrotts19

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
So why do we have 4 playoff appearances in 12 years where half the league makes the playoffs? Puck luck? Battle level?

as said there are other factors while the Islanders suck, like not being able to get quality FA, the FA the Isles attract are always 2nd and 3rd rate and the Islanders have to overpay them in order to lure them here, and fans are going to say "it is a result of Snow and the team he has built", it is a result of the Islanders essentially being a 2nd rate team and among the least desirable teams to play for, these guys especially the competitive guys who want to win want to do it it an actual hockey market where they are playing in a packed house every night, not a embarrassing arena (Barclays) or an old arena (Nassau) where they are playing in front of thousands of empty seats every night.

Last edited:

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
as said there are other factors while the Islanders suck, like not being able to get quality FA, the FA the Isles attract are always 2nd and 3rd rate and the Islanders have to overpay them in order to lure them here, and fans are going to say it is a result of Snow and the team he has built, it is a result of the Islanders essentially being a 2nd rate team and among the least desirable teams to play for, these guys especially the competitive guys who want to win want to do it it an actual hockey market where they are playing in a packed house every night, not a embarrassing arena (Barclays) or an old arena (Nassau) where they are playing in front of thousands of empty seats every night.
You don’t build a team through free agents. See: Andrew Ladd, Kyle Okposo, Frans Nielsen, Milan Lucic, Loui Ericsson, Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook, Jonathan Toews, Carey Price

Reactions: redbull

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
as said there are other factors while the Islanders suck, like not being able to get quality FA, the FA the Isles attract are always 2nd and 3rd rate and the Islanders have to overpay them in order to lure them here, and fans are going to say "it is a result of Snow and the team he has built", it is a result of the Islanders essentially being a 2nd rate team and among the least desirable teams to play for, these guys especially the competitive guys who want to win want to do it it an actual hockey market where they are playing in a packed house every night, not a embarrassing arena (Barclays) or an old arena (Nassau) where they are playing in front of thousands of empty seats every night.

You do realize that if Snow build a better, competitve team, the quality FAs wouldn't care about playing in an "embarassing arena" and that people would come watch them? Look at Tampa. Or San Jose. Or St. Louis. Not really hockey markets, but the teams are solid and the fans show up for the games.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

of course there are other factors. That's why you look at the whole body of work and the results.

Failure wears many hats on Long Island. But Garth's is the biggest-baddest-hat of them all. A super-sombrero, if you want to visualize, blocking out the sun (just like Mr. Burns wanted)

Drafting
Development
Coaching (head coach and whole staff)
Managing cap
Managing assets (player contracts and on-ice play, assessments, etc.)
UFAs
Trades

I can easily make the case that each of these are a failure, sprinkled with some successes in each case. b

But the sum-of-the-parts equals one thing - FAILURE.

And over a long period of time, way too long.

With no end in sight (I'd say it's as dire now as it was in 2008)

Reactions: Instant

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
You do realize that if Snow build a better, competitve team, the quality FAs wouldn't care about playing in an "embarassing arena" and that people would come watch them? Look at Tampa. Or San Jose. Or St. Louis. Not really hockey markets, but the teams are solid and the fans show up for the games.

as said, signing FA's is what helps become a competitive team, and San Jose and St. Louis and probably Tampa as well are significantly better hockey markets than the Islanders are

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
as said, signing FA's is what helps become a competitive team, and San Jose and St. Louis and probably Tampa as well are significantly better hockey markets than the Islanders are

No, you don't build a competitve team by signing FA's. You add FA's to a competitve team to become a contender. The ground work needs to be done internally by drafting and developing players and then smart trades. Sorry, but no one is gonna sign of their own free will to shit team and the teams that Snow assembled are shit.

Reactions: SteveH124

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Ah, well I will never stand in the way of fun. I just didn't see a whole lot of that in the replies to that loon.

He's not as fun as BLANK CHECK!!!!, but still quite entertaining. I need something to keep me up until 1.30 AM.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You don’t build a team through free agents. See: Andrew Ladd, Kyle Okposo, Frans Nielsen, Milan Lucic, Loui Ericsson, Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook, Jonathan Toews, Carey Price
I call bullshit on the cheap shot on KO. He was actually playing very good for us (good enough to be an all star) until he, you know, almost died.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
I enjoy the shock value of Bood's posts. Just when I think Bood can't post anything dumber, he shocks me with another whopper.

If L&M care about their investment and want (HAPPY) fans in the seats attending games (snapping selfies with Ledecky), Snow and Weight are out.... But when?

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I enjoy the shock value of Bood's posts. Just when I think Bood can't post anything dumber, he shocks me with another whopper.

If L&M care about their investment and want (HAPPY) fans in the seats attending games (snapping selfies with Ledecky), Snow and Weight are out.... But when?

When fans stop showing up?!

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Team sucks, we need to find fun elsewhere?
What helped me get over the isles becoming a pathetic joke franchise on purpose in 96 was playing hockey. I started playing 2 nights a week and it was more fun than the games were. I even missed game 6 of the yankees in 96 for a hockey game. I was a obsessed baseball fan but eventually if you find other things to do the Isles may lose your $$ forever. I cut my sports spending by 80% as a result of the lockouts strikes in 95. Most of it goes to concerts.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY

That the $500M question. They are business guys and certainly see the majority of the value coming thru the real estate aspect but they can only enhance their profits but making a relatively short money decision to buy out dumbass's contract. The payback period of having a competent GM who runs a team correctly and the fanbase approves seems to be pretty short.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
What helped me get over the isles becoming a pathetic joke franchise on purpose in 96 was playing hockey. I started playing 2 nights a week and it was more fun than the games were. I even missed game 6 of the yankees in 96 for a hockey game. I was a obsessed baseball fan but eventually if you find other things to do the Isles may lose your $$ forever. I cut my sports spending by 80% as a result of the lockouts strikes in 95. Most of it goes to concerts.

I feel like it's easier for me, living in Europe. I don't think any of the people in my work would be able to say they watched even one hockey game in their lives, so at least no one is making fun of me for being a fan. And I can always say that I value sleep more and just don't stay up for games anymore. Or, like, pick another team. That's also an option :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I love these "as a fan this guy must go or else I am not going to be spending my money on them" topics, I remember the same thing was done about Yashin back in 06 how he needed to be bought out or else the fans were going to boycott, well he was bought out, and the Islanders proceeded to suck , the fans were calling for Capuano's head last year and he was fired and how did that turn out for the Islanders? anyway Snow may or may not return but I am willing to bet our success is not going to be any worse or greater with him or without him here, he has made some bad moves he has made some good moves

You could say the same thing about Milbury then. The team hasn't had any more success under Snow than it had under Milbury, so maybe the Isles should have just kept Mad Mike all these years since you're convinced the GM shouldn't be blamed for a bad roster, as long as he made some good moves at some point along the way.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
What if Ledecky/Malkin have wanted to get rid of snow since they took over, but what if there's a clause in his contract guaranteeing him a massive payout (like 25 million) if fired/reassigned at all so they are handcuffed right now?

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
What if Ledecky/Malkin have wanted to get rid of snow since they took over, but what if there's a clause in his contract guaranteeing him a massive payout (like 25 million) if fired/reassigned at all so they are handcuffed right now?

Then make him come to work and clean the freakin bathrooms!!!....wash cars....greet fans.....the more demeaning the better.

Reactions: Darth Bangkok

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
I just had a kid. Feel free to come by and take my 9-3am shift anytime.

If you like your kid you don't want to leave them with me. More of a cat person.

I usually don't mind staying up late, but we had a time change this weekend so no more midnight games for me, 1 AM from now on. Also, the back to back games are the worst, I can survive after one night without too much sleep, but two are shit. The game ends around 3.30 AM and I have to wake up at 7 AM to go to work, sooo...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad