A Letter to Jon Ledecky

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Ledecky and Malkin spent 485 million buying the Isles and are also part of the group investing 1 billion into the Belmont project.

What kind of a massive payment penalty could there be that wouldn't justify fixing the snow issue with money as well?
How the hell should I know? Can you come up with another explanation that uses logic and not emotion?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
How the hell should I know? Can you come up with another explanation that uses logic and not emotion?

Yes - The scariest explanation of all...

Ledecky/Malkin actually think snow is the best man for the job.

After all, wang did and it certainly feels like he still runs the team.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yes - The scariest explanation of all...

Ledecky/Malkin actually think snow is the best man for the job.

After all, wang did and it certainly feels like he still runs the team.
If the owners had been anything close to as unconventional as Wang was I’d go along with this, but they haven’t been. Before what I’m sure is going to happen tomorrow I’d say L&M had done almost everything right. That’s why I feel there has to be an underlying reason why they’d be willing to keep the status quo. Either THEY really believe keeping things as is will get Tavares to resign or there’s a penalty payment in Snow’s contract that they don’t want to eat.

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007
If the owners had been anything close to as unconventional as Wang was I’d go along with this, but they haven’t been. Before what I’m sure is going to happen tomorrow I’d say L&M had done almost everything right. That’s why I feel there has to be an underlying reason why they’d be willing to keep the status quo. Either THEY really believe keeping things as is will get Tavares to resign or there’s a penalty payment in Snow’s contract that they don’t want to eat.

So let me get this straight....L&M pay a half a billion dollars and they don't want to buy out Snow? They bought this team with a lead "weight" attached to it? Then what is their motivation to own? Doesn't make sense. This team is f***ed if Snow stays at GM.....period. Sinking ship......I'm out!

Reactions: Nassau Revisited

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
So let me get this straight....L&M pay a half a billion dollars and they don't want to buy out Snow? They bought this team with a lead "weight" attached to it? Then what is their motivation to own? Doesn't make sense. This team is ****ed if Snow stays at GM.....period. Sinking ship......I'm out!
What if the buyout price included a $5M penalty?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

The Tavares theory is a theory I can buy. I don't know why Tavares would want to stay with snow around, but I could see at least Ledecky thinking that.

What I can't understand is if it's just money that could get snow out the door, how can Ledecky/Malkin not justify spending it considering how much more they have spent? Not just the team and Belmont, but also the updated Northwell Ice Center which they didn't have to do.

That was a luxury...Firing snow is a necessity.

Now if you tell me that snow's contract has some sort of language that prevents a firing or has some sort of legalese that makes the Isles keep snow is some capacity or something else, I could understand that. However if it's just money it makes no sense they wouldn't buy him out if they truly felt he wasn't the GM who would bring the team their "fifth Stanley Cup" Ledecky won't stop talking about.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The Tavares theory is a theory I can buy. I don't know why Tavares would want to stay with snow around, but I could see at least Ledecky thinking that.

What I can't understand is if it's just money that could get snow out the door, how can Ledecky/Malkin not justify spending it considering how much more they have spent? Not just the team and Belmont, but also the updated Northwell Ice Center which they didn't have to do.

Now if you tell me that snow's contract has some sort of language that prevents a firing or has some sort of legalese that makes the Isles keep snow is some capacity or something else, I could understand that. However if it's just money it makes no sense they wouldn't buy him out if they truly felt he wasn't the GM who would bring the team their "fifth Stanley Cup" Ledecky won't stop talking about.
Yes the legalese part you mentioned may be a real part of Snow’s golden parachute and us getting a golden shower from the team. I still think that the probable reason is that the owners believe keeping things in place will get Tavares to re-sign. Sad because that would be L&M’s first major misplay in what has otherwise been a fairly positive first 3 years of control of the team.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Also remember it’s been reported that JT’s agent Pat Brisson had been dealing with Scott Malkin throughout the last year, not so much Ledecky.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yes the legalese part you mentioned may be a real part of Snow’s golden parachute and us getting a golden shower from the team. I still think that the probable reason is that the owners believe keeping things in place will get Tavares to re-sign. Sad because that would be L&M’s first major misplay in what has otherwise been a fairly positive first 3 years of control of the team.
For the record I posted here last week that I thought the team had bent over backwards to get JT to resign, bent over too much, imho. I would have given Tavares and Brisson a January 1st deadline to resign or risk getting traded instead of getting jammed up should he decide to walk away on 7/1.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Also remember it’s been reported that JT’s agent Pat Brisson had been dealing with Scott Malkin throughout the last year, not so much Ledecky.

So why doesn't Malkin want to fire snow?

Also remember the quotes from Ledecky saying that an owner should let the hockey people run their jobs and not step on toes? How can he say that and his partner doing exactly the opposite?

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
L $ M could have just taken the money they are paying Mr. Andrew Ladd and bought out Snow. Mismanagement through and through.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Also remember the quotes from Ledecky saying that an owner should let the hockey people run their jobs and not step on toes? How can he say that and his partner doing exactly the opposite?
So L&M are not firing Snow over 1%????????
I’m just throwing it out there that something in Snow’s contract might make it prohibitive to fire him. See my other posts to Periferal because I’m not going to run 2 different conversations saying the exact same things.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

That “owner’s own” spiel was just a cop out by Ledecky so he didn’t have to answer tough questions about accountability.

Reactions: periferal

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007
I’m just throwing it out there that something in Snow’s contract might make it prohibitive to fire him. See my other posts to Periferal because I’m not going to run 2 different conversations saying the exact same things.

How can someone legally own something and have no say in their staff?? That makes no sense.

No......I'm not going to read your previous posts. If L&M can't fire someone from their staff then they don't own the business. Period.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
How can someone legally own something and have no say in their staff?? That makes no sense.

No......I'm not going to read your previous posts. If L&M can't fire someone from their staff then they don't own the business. Period.
Sometimes people buy things with conditions attached to it. You and I might not but maybe they did.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
Sometimes people buy things with conditions attached to it. You and I might not but maybe they did.

McKenzie is guessing Snow has 4-5 years left on his deal. The highest paid coaches made around 2-3 million when Snow signed his contract. Lets assume a GM makes more than the head coach and put Snow at 4 million a year. We are talking a maximum of 20 million to fire Snow. Letting Snow, Weight and his staff torpedo the season had to cost L&M at least 5 million this year. A buyout of Snow easily pays for itself over 3-4 years.

The 20 million guess is probably much higher than real life and the 5 million guess is probably lower

L&M are simply frauds

Reactions: Stercrazy

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
What if the buyout price included a $5M penalty?

Then don’t buy him out

Change his title or job description. Keep him as GM if his contract states that, but hire a new “executive GM” whose powers supersede Snow’s

There are many ways to skin a cat

He’s here cause ownership wants him here, there is no other explanation

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Then don’t buy him out

Change his title or job description. Keep him as GM if his contract states that, but hire a new “executive GM” whose powers supersede Snow’s

There are many ways to skin a cat

He’s here cause ownership wants him here, there is no other explanation

Why don't people understand that if garth snow is in the Islanders building even as a janitor that no one great is going to want to take the president/GM positions? He needs to be 100% removed from the franchise.

That said at this point the way Ledecky & Malkin have run things I'm not sure anyone worth a damn would want to work for them anyway.

Reactions: CBG

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Like the poster who said Ledecky was only as powerful as sparky...its time for all fans to stop mentioning the minority owner. At least the other minority owner installed a front office that cant be replaced. So that owner can be critized. But Ledecky does nothing...hes a cheerleader for a man who has other interests and Malkin would hire Dale hunter As GM over here if it added to his bottom line. The guy simply doesnt care about islander hockey I doubt he watched half the games or spent 10 % of the time thinking islanders that you guys did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad