[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

there-it.gif

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I forget who mentioned Jeni's ice cream earlier in this thread, but having tried it last week for the first time, yeah I'd move to Columbus for it too.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I’d take the current Jets braintrust over the Devils without even hesitation. And I realize they haven’t won jack yet either but they at least look like they have a plan and are proactive. The Devils continue to be reactive and wait for the perfect move for the perfect age to fall out of the sky and hit them on the head a la Hall or Dougie who nobody else bid on.
lol talk about being off your rocker and wanting to be miserable for the sake of it. If you actually believe this, you definitely need to step away from the internet for a while. The Devils have a plan, you just don't like it.

Reactions: Billdo and Triumph

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Hughes is a budding superstar - not saying anything to the contrary - but I just take issue with folks pretending JG doesn't immediately make this team better.

Reeks of copium to me. Yes, this contract probably sucks in years 5-7, hell maybe even earlier. But, assuming he stays healthy, he would've immediately, drastically, improved this roster next year.
I never said he doesn't make us better, you're putting words in my mouth. I said he doesn't solve our biggest problems, because he doesn't. Most of the games we lost we did so because of atrocious goaltending and a dysfunctional power play run by one of the worst power play coaches in NHL history.

The Grinder

No Respect
Oct 17, 2008
Jefferson, NJ
Maybe when the team has some consistent success more FA’s will want to sign here? You know build a foundation that clearly has some promise, not just the “hope” of promise?

Which is why I thought this whole thing was a little premature.

It seemed like we were the only legit option for Dougie last year. Add our horrendous RHD depth and THAT move made sense.

We got a solid Assistant coach.
Zacha is gone
Acquired a 3 C for next year so Boq doesn’t need to be solely relied upon.
And we’re not done yet.

Oh yea Nemec and Vany at the draft

How is this not a solid, sensible offseason?

We missed on Slaf and JG, at what appears to be no fault of our own.

Can we please step off the ledge.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Just get Bratt signed for 7 or 8 years and it's still a good off-season.
They need to get it done, but it isn’t a good offseason.

I like the Vanichek trade, but they struck out on the goalie upgrades overall. They struck out (it looks like) on a forward addition. They still have Lindy Ruff as coach! This is an offseason that gets an entire front office canned at the end of October.

Wife has to have family there. What else could it be.
His wife and her family is from Philly and works in Philly

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I mean an elite 80+ point player on this team immediately puts us into the playoff discussion, all else constant. No?

I would agree with that, but I also don't think the team is completely doomed either. With average goaltending I think we are a bubble team.

The folks who think it's the end of the world seem to think without JG we are completely hopeless garbage. That being the case (assuming the team is so bad it's gunning for 1OA next year) how much better does one player really make them? Seems an odd take that we would go from the basement to a contender with only the addition of JG.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Maybe when the team has some consistent success more FA’s will want to sign here? You know build a foundation that clearly has some promise, not just the “hope” of promise?

Which is why I thought this whole thing was a little premature.

It seemed like we were the only legit option for Dougie last year. Add our horrendous RHD depth and THAT move made sense.

We got a solid Assistant coach.
Zacha is gone
Acquired a 3 C for next year so Boq doesn’t need to be solely relied upon.
And we’re not done yet.

Oh yea Nemec and Vany at the draft

How is this not a solid, sensible offseason?

We missed on Slaf and JG, at what appears to be no fault of our own.

Can we please step off the ledge.
All I keep reading here is how good our prospects are and how great our youth is. How great our cap situation is. How good our foundation is. Eventually that has to translate into more.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
All I keep reading here is how good our prospects are and how great our youth is. How great our cap situation is. How good our foundation is. Eventually that has to translate into more.

Best prospect pool in the league 7 years running lol

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Yes, JG makes the team better next year. The issue is, and the issue I had with the move this morning so it's not copium, is that it doesn't add a new dimension to the team. It's not a great fit. Yeah, the team's better, but they have to move a bunch of pieces around and probably keep certain players away from other players when making lines. It would've been exciting. But then making this into a Cup contender in a few years becomes that much more challenging.

It wasn't, but you can go ahead and pretend like it was. Bratt was having a great season well before the season went into the toilet.

What makes the Devils a Cup contender in a few years? We never hear that from the spreadsheet types.

Camille the Eel

But why though?

Columbus is a small town. I can imagine reasons. He can live nicely in suburban Bexley, drive to the rink in 15 minutes down High Street, with no traffic, not spend his life in a car. Can send his family to good schools. The team isn’t bad and was significantly better than we were last year. He puts them in the playoff hunt in our division. He’s certainly earned the right to play where he wants.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I just hope Neidderier and Palat hurry up and sign somewhere soon so I can quit paying too much attention on UFA.
Really sucks our signing this year is a 7/8 D man or 13th forward.
Just please make it past Christmas next season before we are completely out of the playoff race once again.
Sick of watching this team get crushed every year while we trot out players like Johnson and try to convince and talk ourselves into thinking we have a good team. Yes we have added some skill but the roster is a joke they way it’s constructed.
Fitz said we need to add “heavier“ players . Brodeur said we need to add players that are harder to play against and allow our skilled core players to do what they do.
What do we do ? We sign a fringe NHL player thats probably in the pressbox 70% of the time and when he does play , will get about 6-8 mimites a game. Look out Metro divison !!!

Reactions: glenwo2

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
They didn't strike out on goalies. The goaltending market sucked this year
They didn’t go into the offseason targeting Vanichek. They struck out on Kuemper (and Campbell) and pivoted. Maybe you can say that hit a fly out because they didn’t end up paying more for Matt Murray. That’s fine.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Signing Tomlinson and a few other guys this offseason? Trading up twice early in the draft? Joe Douglas didn’t just say sorry we’ll try again next year when Tyreek told us to take a hike.

Again, is the offseason over?

the Devils signed the best FA last year, and went for the best FA this year. Thats not being "proactive"?

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad