GDT: 2022 NHL Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
We got some borderline historically bad goaltending last year but, somehow, trading for a viable NHL goaltender is deemed "not improving" just because we didn't sign Johnny Gaudreau. What world do some of you folks live in?

A world of 1 playoff appearance in 10 years and that’s probably going to be 11 years come next April.

Reactions: glenwo2

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
All of this "they missed out" on so and so is so f***ing infuriating. Nobody has ANY idea who they were or weren't in on, who got what offer, etc but y'all want to blame the team as if this is NHL22 and you can just force trades and the players have no actual input. None of you whiners think it's possible a guy just wants to go to a certain place and is will to leave money on the table? Some of you need a reality check. When you have 46 mil in the bank do you really think the difference between 68 and 77 is going to make you go somewhere you don't want to?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Again, is the offseason over?

the Devils signed the best FA last year, and went for the best FA this year. Thats not being "proactive"?
Or trying multiple seasons in a row to bring in goaltending help. Or adding literally half of our top 6 on defense. Or trying to trade the #2 pick for Tkachuk. Fitz is just a lazy ass who doesn't ever try!

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’m sorry for being negative but F me.Outside if one lucky run , we have been irrelevant for over a decade. Years in a row of being a bottom feeder. Every year people say “ oh we will be better next year “ amd by the end of November we are already left in the dust and playoffs are not happening. I don’t know about you but it sucks watchimg your team bet it’s ass handed to them all year long , with clinging to the hople we have a good off-season to turn things around. It’s just the idea of once again being the league floormat is depressing

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Until NJ starts to win something the fans will stay skeptical which makes sense. Somehow I think the goalies are the single biggest issue heading into next season. Gaudreau would have been a nice add but if the goalies fail he wouldn’t matter. Sure the team needs significant help but until you have consistent goaltending how can you even know where the help is most needed?

As an aside I think Gaudreau quietly tries to force a trade to PHI within 3 years and would have done the same in NJ the minute PHI had some cap space

Reactions: NJDevs26

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
A world of 1 playoff appearance in 10 years and that’s probably going to be 11 years come next April.
Yeah, let's be a treadmill team instead just so we can arbitrarily make the playoffs. Being a treadmill team is the last place you want to be.

Step away from the internet and go outside.

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
gadreau woulda been nice for next year and all but the following year is where it really needs to unfold between there will be some nice opportunities in the free agent market along with nemec and l Hughes knocking on the door to really open up this window

I don't understand this - 2 years ago we were saying the same thing about McCloud/Smith/Boqvist/Kuokkanen/Maltsev/Foote/etc. knocking on the door. "Oh look at all the picks we got for Palms/Hall/Coleman!"

Why do we keep kicking the rebuild timing down the road every failed season?

Is it really Hughes and Nemec we're waiting for now? In 2 years will it be X and Y when we don't get free agent Z?

The perpetual rebuild of the New Jersey Devils

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Devils goalies last year gave up 302 goals.

the Devils xGA last season (all situations) was 236.

SIXTY SIX Goals worse than expected. Thats basically like starting every game almost down 1-0.
Yeah we'd have had a positive goal differential of 12 if we had given up our xGA.

Two teams that made the playoffs with diffs worse than that, and the Preds were right in that range.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Yeah, let's be a treadmill team instead just so we can arbitrarily make the playoffs. Being a treadmill team is the last place you want to be.

Step away from the internet and go outside.

Think the last place we want to be is a doormat, too bad that’s exactly what we are

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I just hope Neidderier and Palat hurry up and sign somewhere soon so I can quit paying too much attention on UFA.
Really sucks our signing this year is a 7/8 D man or 13th forward.
Just please make it past Christmas next season before we are completely out of the playoff race once again.
Sick of watching this team get crushed every year while we trot out players like Johnson and try to convince and talk ourselves into thinking we have a good team. Yes we have added some skill but the roster is a joke they way it’s constructed.
Fitz said we need to add “heavier“ players . Brodeur said we need to add players that are harder to play against and allow our skilled core players to do what they do.
What do we do ? We sign a fringe NHL player thats probably in the pressbox 70% of the time and when he does play , will get about 6-8 mimites a game. Look out Metro divison !!!
They tried on the best FA on the market and weren't successful. We also tried trading for Tkachuk.

It would be nice if we signed someone like Marchment, but it doesn't seem like Fitz didn't try. Unfortunately we may end up having a lot of cap space remaining that could go unused.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
They tried on the best FA on the market and weren't successful. We also tried trading for Tkachuk.

It would be nice if we signed someone like Marchment, but it doesn't seem like Fitz didn't try. Unfortunately we may end up having a lot of cap space remaining that could go unused.
Are we even at the floor?

Devs4L

Mar 8, 2006
Fitz went hard after Gaudreau. That's great. But how's that praise-worthy, exactly? Like, as in, good to know he tried? Faith restored?

If anything that's why, especially in situations like the Devils are in (a rebuild), it makes more sense to go hard after trades when they're there rather than trying to sign guys. Because you may want the player in free agency, you may offer more to the player in every way, but the player may not want you. Not the case via trade. And this situation proves that.

You can't only make the easy trades. The completely lopsided in value trades, like Malsev for Graves. A 3rd for Seigenthaler. Sometimes you have to grind and push for a trade, and show some guts to trade some pieces that hurt to part with, but worth it if you have conviction on the player you're getting, and are certain he'll better your team.

I'd argue a few of those kind of pieces have already been moved to other teams.

I'm happy Fitz tried hard here to get him. The offer proves that, sure. But the pressure is absolutely still on him. Even more so now. He's swinging and missing on players. We've been rumored for many (to varying levels of truth, I'm sure), but we've gotten none. And you'd have to have your head in the sand right now not to realize that fans are getting pretty fed up with being promised what will be "eventually", and "3 years from now", while they've watched the team lose for about 10 years.

The signs of clear improvement have to be there. Not just the signs of potential. We can scoff at Columbus all we want, the bottom line is they had nearly 20 more points than us. And we missed the playoffs by almost 40 points.

The offseason is still long, and we'll see what happens. Fitz has time, and I think ultimately he will acquire a player of significance. But I'm not about to pat Fitz on the back because he gave a great offer to Gaudreau, but lost.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Until NJ starts to win something the fans will stay skeptical which makes sense. Somehow I think the goalies are the single biggest issue heading into next season. Gaudreau would have been a nice add but if the goalies fail he wouldn’t matter. Sure the team needs significant help but until you have consistent goaltending how can you even know where the help is most needed?

As an aside I think Gaudreau quietly tries to force a trade to PHI within 3 years and would have done the same in NJ the minute PHI had some cap space
I agree with all this especially the first sentence. Skepticism is deserved at this point for crying out loud. Anyone trying to claim it isn’t is just being a homer.

Re: Johnny forcing a trade to Philly as I said earlier at least we’d get assets back in that case

Reactions: My3Sons

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I don't understand this - 2 years ago we were saying the same thing about McCloud/Smith/Boqvist/Kuokkanen/Maltsev/Foote/etc. knocking on the door. "Oh look at all the picks we got for Palms/Hall/Coleman!"

Why do we keep kicking the rebuild timing down the road every failed season?

Is it really Hughes and Nemec we're waiting for now? In 2 years will it be X and Y when we don't get free agent Z?

The perpetual rebuild of the New Jersey Devils
Nemec,Hughes and holtz >>>>>>>> than any prospect you just listed above and then you combine that with Hughes, hischier and Bratt who aren’t even in their primes yet

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
@JrFischer54

Your new avatar for the year, as punishment.

F1F4BABE-5791-4DE6-8178-786FF01B1A43.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad