GDT: 2022 NHL Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
Just get Bratt signed for 7 or 8 years and it's still a good off-season.
Is it? Rolling out the same 63 point roster qualifies as "good"?

Love me some Bratter but I don't see this as the team improving. They are a bad team that stood still. I don't think Vanacek and Haula are worth 40 points and a playoff push.

I know there aren't games tomorrow but just looking at it from where we stand today, and technically Bratt is not on the team but I'm counting him as being there.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
gadreau woulda been nice for next year and all but the following year is where it really needs to unfold between there will be some nice opportunities in the free agent market along with nemec and l Hughes knocking on the door to really open up this window

Reactions: My3Sons

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Google how the passing of time works
The point the other poster was trying to make is that it's gotta end eventually.

Busting on the Zachas and McLeods of the world certainly doesn't help, but I think I speak for many here that I'm tired of watching time pass without the Devils becoming significantly better..

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I just hope Neidderier and Palat hurry up and sign somewhere soon so I can quit paying too much attention on UFA.
Really sucks our signing this year is a 7/8 D man or 13th forward.
Just please make it past Christmas next season before we are completely out of the playoff race once again.
Sick of watching this team get crushed every year while we trot out players like Johnson and try to convince and talk ourselves into thinking we have a good team. Yes we have added some skill but the roster is a joke they way it’s constructed.
Fitz said we need to add “heavier“ players . Brodeur said we need to add players that are harder to play against and allow our skilled core players to do what they do.
What do we do ? We sign a fringe NHL player thats probably in the pressbox 70% of the time and when he does play , will get about 6-8 mimites a game. Look out Metro divison !!!
Just assume Palat is going to the Isles and Niederitter is signing with Columbus after they banish Laine to Arizona and you’ll be better off sanity wise. It would just fit with the pile of dung we’ve gotten this offseason.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
They need to get it done, but it isn’t a good offseason.

I like the Vanichek trade, but they struck out on the goalie upgrades overall. They struck out (it looks like) on a forward addition. They still have Lindy Ruff as coach! This is an offseason that gets an entire front office canned at the end of October.

His wife and her family is from Philly and works in Philly
Families move around. Unfounded claims of it on Twitter, yes Twitter, but I do wonder.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
They need to get it done, but it isn’t a good offseason.

I like the Vanichek trade, but they struck out on the goalie upgrades overall. They struck out (it looks like) on a forward addition. They still have Lindy Ruff as coach! This is an offseason that gets an entire front office canned at the end of October.

It's 'July 1', the offseason is not over. I think Vanacek is a way better upgrade than Campbell or Kuemper or Husso. If Brunette is actually here (no one's confirmed this), that's also a great sign.

I doubt they are just taking their $9M and sitting on it. Now will they put it to worse use, possibly, but we're a long way from September.

Camille the Eel

I just hope Neidderier and Palat hurry up and sign somewhere soon so I can quit paying too much attention on UFA.
Really sucks our signing this year is a 7/8 D man or 13th forward.
Just please make it past Christmas next season before we are completely out of the playoff race once again.
Sick of watching this team get crushed every year while we trot out players like Johnson and try to convince and talk ourselves into thinking we have a good team. Yes we have added some skill but the roster is a joke they way it’s constructed.
Fitz said we need to add “heavier“ players . Brodeur said we need to add players that are harder to play against and allow our skilled core players to do what they do.
What do we do ? We sign a fringe NHL player thats probably in the pressbox 70% of the time and when he does play , will get about 6-8 mimites a game. Look out Metro divison !!!
What fringe player? Haula will play for and improve us. Smith too. We may or may not be done but I am more optimistic about next season already. Now sign Bratt. There are other ways to skin the cat than free agency.

McLeod will be pushed by Haula. We are in a fair way to develop a forecheck with him and perhaps he and Zetterlund will function together well.

Reactions: beekay414

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
They didn’t go into the offseason targeting Vanichek. They struck out on Kuemper (and Campbell) and pivoted. Maybe you can say that hit a fly out because they didn’t end up paying more for Matt Murray. That’s fine.
What? They literally traded for Vanecek prior to free agency. How do you strike out on UFAs when you traded for your goalie option before UFA began?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

Love me some Bratter but I don't see this as the team improving. They are a bad team that stood still. I don't think Vanacek and Haula are worth 40 points and a playoff push.

I know there aren't games tomorrow but just looking at it from where we stand today, and technically Bratt is not on the team but I'm counting him as being there.

it’s already not the same team with zacha gone, brunette and haula in, and an upgrade in net. and we’re not 24 hours into the offseason yet, plenty of time left

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

all of their best players got injured and their goaltending was horrific.

And yes, if Vanacek can simply be league average and not league worst, thats probably a 15-20 point boost in the standings. Like I said, the Devils goalies allowed something like 68 goals above expected last year.

Again, not saying the roster doesnt need improvement. It does.

Reactions: My3Sons

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
So Vanacek Haula and Smith are going to propel us from the 5th shittiest team in the entire league to a possible WC spot? I’ll believe it when it happens.
Id put more money on us being out of the playoff talk before Christmas than playing meaningful games in the last 1/4 of the season

Its frustrating watching teams I thought were is similar situations as us make very nice games wife moves ( Senators and Wings ) while we sign Smith…

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
I'm pleased getting rid of Zacha & bringing in a good assistant coach, but the addition of Haula & Vanecek doesn't really move the needle even a little bit. Add in the fact we're still running with Ruff, unless we somehow find a top 6 winger. We will end up being a bottom dweller yet again with Ruff getting fired mid season. I'm getting sick & tired of this.

Reactions: glenwo2

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Columbus is a small town. I can imagine reasons. He can live nicely in suburban Bexley, drive to the rink in 15 minutes down High Street, with no traffic, not spend his life in a car. Can send his family to good schools. The team isn’t bad and was significantly better than we were last year. He puts them in the playoff hunt in our division. He’s certainly earned the right to play where he wants.

Stop it with the practical reasoning! Just STOP IT! :thumbu:

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
I’m sure Columbus has some great suburbs and it’s way cheaper to live there than here so if that’s his reasoning then god bless him. Gonna assume the wife had a very heavy influence in the decision.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020

The Avalanche essentially ran out the same roster from 2016-2017 where they finished dead last with 48 points to 2017-2018 where they made the playoffs with 95 points. Young teams get better just through development.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Again, is the offseason over?

the Devils signed the best FA last year, and went for the best FA this year. Thats not being "proactive"?
Who else do you even want that’s realistically on the market at this point? Other than Thackuk who with our luck will sign with another division team. Palat is going to get gross term probably from the Isles. If you’re not going to sign stars in FA then you might as well wait on trades to fall out of the sky and as we know from JG and Fiala guys aren’t dying to come here other than Dougie, who we gave a bag to.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
What makes the Devils a Cup contender in a few years? We never hear that from the spreadsheet types.

You literally never hear that from anyone on the internet. It's just a bunch of outsider keyboard warriors (myself included) yelling opinions at each other. Stats based, gut based, member berry based, whatever it is. No one really knows. No one has a formula.

What I can say is all we have known for quite some time is losing so I get staying the current course is super hard. Hasn't worked to this point, why would it next season? I wonder if Avs fans thought the same thing? Or Tampa fans? I bet they did. Though I bet Toronto fans and Edmonton fans did/do as well.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
We got some borderline historically bad goaltending last year but, somehow, trading for a viable NHL goaltender is deemed "not improving" just because we didn't sign Johnny Gaudreau. What world do some of you folks live in?

It always gets like this and I always get suckered into trying to post against it. The offseason is so far from over. Yes, almost all of the UFAs are gone. But not all the free agents.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Yeah hf time is 10 years or longer
3lYi.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad