GDT: 2022 NHL Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I’m not sure how many “wins” you guys think a single player is responsible for if you think missing out on one guy massively shifts things. If you think we suck ass and have no chance of doing anything, Johnny wasn’t changing the picture.

Reactions: My3Sons

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
It's certainly not incompetence. Today could have gone much worse with some of the contracts that were thrown around. It's just the frustrations of a 12-15 year rebuild.
I'm a Packers and Bucks fan. You think 12-15 years is bad? Try doing it for 25+ years. Patience pays off in the end unless you're an incompetent franchise like the Sacramento Kings or New York Jets. No need to jump off the ledge right now. We're fine.

Reactions: Guttersniped

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I really don't think not getting Gaudreau is a big deal. He's a very good winger, no doubt, but he would be a luxury, honestly. We have plenty of small forwards who can score. We need bigger dudes in the top 6.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Gaudreau mostly gives us more of what we have. It would have helped for sure and been great to have, but not having that player is not why we lost so many games last year.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
I really don't think not getting Gaudreau is a big deal. He's a very good winger, no doubt, but he would be a luxury, honestly. We have plenty of small forwards who can score. We need bigger dudes in the top 6.

He had 40 goals and 115 points but yeah let’s go sign Maroon again

Reactions: LoktionovMVP

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
if the Devils had league average goaltending last year, yes, they would have won 8 to 10 more games.

They had league worst goaltending last year. Their goalies allowed almost 70 goals above expected in all situations. SEVENTY.
Yeah but that’s not how it works. Imagine if they got allstar goaltending would that mean playoffs? Hall of fame goaltending would that mean a cup?

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Tampa just went to 3 straight cup finals without a single FA in their top 9 and a completely homegrown top 6. Colorado won with a completely homegrown top line and 1 FA who averaged 29 points per 82 games prior to this season (was also an analytics reclamation project). St. Louis had 1 FA in their top 9 which was Tyler Bozak

So can we calm down because we missed out on one FA winger

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
It just has to be the right stuff.
Agreed

C03C7901-9165-4F2B-85E5-F68A9B3D4063.jpeg

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I’m not sure how many “wins” you guys think a single player is responsible for if you think missing out on one guy massively shifts things. If you think we suck ass and have no chance of doing anything, Johnny wasn’t changing the picture.
There's a universe where the internal progression on this team propels us forward. I'm just so tired of banking on that, likely ending up disappointed to one degree or another, while we watch other teams be aggressive.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Gaudreau mostly gives us more of what we have. It would have helped for sure and been great to have, but not having that player is not why we lost so many games last year.
Respectfully, we don't a 100 point player on this roster.

I get what you're saying, but not having a bonafide elite winger definitely cost us games last year.

Reactions: Killing Joke

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
Laine isn’t going anywhere. Also if they wanted to move assets out they should have done it for Fiala or Debrincat who are better players. Laine is too much of a passenger and won’t be worth the deal he gets.
Fiala didn’t want to come here and re-sign

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I mean, yes?

Shesterkins goaltending likely gets us about where the rags got last season.

I do wonder, for all those sky is falling folks, what would the thought have been had we got JG? Sounds like right now the organization is a black hole of total garbage that is doomed to spend all eternity simply hoping not to be bottom 5 in the league. If we are THAT horrendous, was JG going to make any meaningful difference anyway? If we are that bad, what is missing out on JG making people so upset about?

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Fiala didn’t want to come here and re-sign
Maybe true (seems to be a runaway train theory from one ambiguous tweet), but Fitz himself said he didn't call Minnesota about Fiala, Minnesota called him. And by the time they spoke, Minnesota was pretty far down the road with LA and the deal was just about done. So not exactly being proactive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad