Speculation: 2022-2023 General Lightning Discussion III: The school bus is actually a garbage truck edition

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
It's probably his last shot if he honestly gets another, which I don't think he will. I don't watch the crunch to know other than what I've seen him do with us, but I'm doubtful he gets another crack. It's not a bad lineup if Jeannot could move his feet. If not, swap Colton and try Fortier there.

He's getting another crack for sure, he's been outstanding this year for the crunch despite getting sent down again.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
It's probably his last shot if he honestly gets another, which I don't think he will. I don't watch the crunch to know other than what I've seen him do with us, but I'm doubtful he gets another crack. It's not a bad lineup if Jeannot could move his feet. If not, swap Colton and try Fortier there.
No reason ABB shouldn't get another chance. He's under a cheap contract for another year, and he's the best forward the Crunch have. Ryfors is another option for a possible call up, but neither Koepke nor Fortier have been that impressive for them this season. ABB hasn't had more than 15 games in any season with Tampa, so I wouldn't write him off just yet(he is running out of chances however, I agree). If Tampa can find a decent 4th liner ufa for ~1 million, maybe bump Colton up to 2LW and Eyssimont to the 3rd line, but I believe ABB will get another shot(not to say Tampa won't find a solid vet ufa F for the 4th/13th F).

Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
He's getting another crack for sure, he's been outstanding this year for the crunch despite getting sent down again.

No reason ABB shouldn't get another chance. He's under a cheap contract for another year, and he's the best forward the Crunch have. Ryfors is another option for a possible call up, but neither Koepke nor Fortier have been that impressive for them this season. ABB hasn't had more than 15 games in any season with Tampa, so I wouldn't write him off just yet(he is running out of chances however, I agree). If Tampa can find a decent 4th liner ufa for ~1 million, maybe bump Colton up to 2LW and Eyssimont to the 3rd line, but I believe ABB will get another shot(not to say Tampa won't find a solid vet ufa F for the 4th/13th F).
Has he gotten any stronger or faster since his last call up? Those were the two biggest knocks I noticed. It's good to hear he's doing well.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Has he gotten any stronger or faster since his last call up? Those were the two biggest knocks I noticed. It's good to hear he's doing well.
We will probably need someone for the bottom 6 at least and maybe top 6 depends what we do with celly and colton in the offseason or draft. Ideally Id like Colton get a shot at top 6.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I dont think ABB is in the plan anymore, if he ever was. He's more of a Cory Conacher, minus Conacher's miracle 20 games that got us Ben Bishop.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
The problem with ABB is we don't have space to utilize his skillset. He needs minutes to get acclimated to the NHL, he won't get minutes barring injuries in our top 6. Also the Coop gon' Coop factor will take over. Ideally you put ABB with smart players who cycle, give him a full season to get his skating up to NHL level. His ideal partner ironically would be someone like Killorn in my opinion.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
ABB will be contending for a top 6 role next year in camp. You dont have a guy go better than ppg in the AHL and not give him a real chance the next season. He has to be in a top 6 scoring line role though, as if they have him on a checking line he won't be successful. Put him with Paul and Stamkos, or Point-Kuch, and see if he can thrive. 15 games one year and 14 in another is far too small of a sample size to tell much.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
ABB will be contending for a top 6 role next year in camp. You dont have a guy go better than ppg in the AHL and not give him a real chance the next season. He has to be in a top 6 scoring line role though, as if they have him on a checking line he won't be successful. Put him with Paul and Stamkos, or Point-Kuch, and see if he can thrive. 15 games one year and 14 in another is far too small of a sample size to tell much.
Top 6 you say?

ABB - Eyssimont - Jeannot coming right up.

Reactions: JTBF81

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The problem with ABB is we don't have space to utilize his skillset. He needs minutes to get acclimated to the NHL, he won't get minutes barring injuries in our top 6. Also the Coop gon' Coop factor will take over. Ideally you put ABB with smart players who cycle, give him a full season to get his skating up to NHL level. His ideal partner ironically would be someone like Killorn in my opinion.
I think the problem is more that he doesnt process the game the same way NHL speed. He's not a guy who's never been given a chance -- he's had chances with two different teams.

Some guys are just stars at the AHL level, but can't cut it in the NHL, while other guys who might not be as good in the AHL are the better NHL player. There have always been guys like that and it feels like ABB is one of them. Hasnt shown the flashes that JAM and Verhaeghe showed.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Top 6 you say?

ABB - Eyssimont - Jeannot coming right up.
Yeah, lol, knowing Coop and his inability of late to roll optimal line configurations, that wouldn't surprise. ABB would probably be doing well and then that top 6 line will go cold for a game or two, and it'll be well, time for the blender...

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I think the problem is more that he doesnt process the game the same way NHL speed. He's not a guy who's never been given a chance -- he's had chances with two different teams.

Some guys are just stars at the AHL level, but can't cut it in the NHL, while other guys who might not be as good in the AHL are the better NHL player. There have always been guys like that and it feels like ABB is one of them. Hasnt shown the flashes that JAM and Verhaeghe showed.
He's had 30 total games in Tampa, and he had two in Seattle. I'm not going to say that his AHL success will translate as well as Verhaeghe's or JAM's(or even Raddysh based on his results thus far), but he hasn't had anything close to.enough games or consistent line mates to say he's a bust at the NHL level.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's had 30 total games in Tampa, and he had two in Seattle. I'm not going to say that his AHL success will translate as well as Verhaeghe's or JAM's(or even Raddysh based on his results thus far), but he hasn't had anything close to.enough games or consistent line mates to say he's a bust at the NHL level.
He's also had pre-seasons, where most guys in his position will really show up. For whatever reason, he just never excels in that spot, and even when he does make the team it's mainly because we just needed a guy.

I think he will continue to get fair shots at cracking the roster for as long as he's in the organization. I just don't think he'll be part of any long term plan until he shows something at the NHL level.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

His ideal partner would be Stamkos which he has had like 10mins TOI with and Killorn is gone next year which opens up a spot in the top 6 so not sure why he wouldn't get a shot.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
the ABB plan is thus: to move him up to the NHL and put him on a line with point and kuch, and then trade him to anyone else for two first round picks to restock the cabinet.
Honestly I hate how accurate this is

He's also had pre-seasons, where most guys in his position will really show up. For whatever reason, he just never excels in that spot, and even when he does make the team it's mainly because we just needed a guy.

I think he will continue to get fair shots at cracking the roster for as long as he's in the organization. I just don't think he'll be part of any long term plan until he shows something at the NHL level.
Because he just isn't good enough. Hes too soft to stuff in your bottom six and he isn't good enough to stick in your top six, so he becomes the kind of guy that is a top flight AHL scorer for you.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
the ABB plan is thus: to move him up to the NHL and put him on a line with point and kuch, and then trade him to anyone else for two first round picks to restock the cabinet.
I think they call that "The Conacher Maneouver" behind closed doors.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Ive seen enough to suggest the 3rd round is within our reach.

That's only if we actually try. This team hasn't given us more than like a 5 game stretch of hitting even SOME of its potential all season long and the playoffs at absolute most is 28. I can't recall any other year where we mailed it in this bad. Probably 2015-2016 fresh off a Cup run?

Like I'm sure they can do it but it would literally be the first time all season they actually played well and played up to their potential

Reactions: TheFurryPickle

StammerHammer

Dec 23, 2021
I was really hoping ABB was going to be a Tyler Johnson type of player. Too bad it didn't work out.

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
That's only if we actually try. This team hasn't given us more than like a 5 game stretch of hitting even SOME of its potential all season long and the playoffs at absolute most is 28. I can't recall any other year where we mailed it in this bad. Probably 2015-2016 fresh off a Cup run?

Like I'm sure they can do it but it would literally be the first time all season they actually played well and played up to their potential
I get as frustrated as anyone watching this team play at times but when I step back from it for a minute I realize that a veteran team that has been through the wars more than any other team over the last several years by a significant margin shouldn't then keep it's foot on the gas for the whole 82. The one time we tried that because the team and individuals were more focused on setting regular season records we flamed out completely in the first round. As hard as it is to watch sometimes, I'll take the current approach that de-emphasizes regular season success and focuses on the games that really matter. Ultimately I applaud Coop for taking the heat while keeping things in their proper perspective. It's no guarantee that it will work as other teams have improved but it still gives us our best chance to have the energy required when it will be needed most.

Reactions: Hoek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad