Speculation: 2022-2023 General Lightning Discussion III: The school bus is actually a garbage truck edition

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I love Coop as a coach, even if I don't agree with everything he does lineup-wise. But I'll always see Verhaeghe blossoming elsewhere as Cooper's fault for not giving him the space on the top6 to show his potential with us.

It is what it is, we got 2 cup so we can't complain too much lol

He's a big reason why I complain about our player development. We over-think young guys WAAAAAYYYY too much. But what? At least we have Ross Colton and Nick Perbix? Let's hope to God they can reach some sort of potential like this

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
He's a big reason why I complain about our player development. We over-think young guys WAAAAAYYYY too much. But what? At least we have Ross Colton and Nick Perbix? Let's hope to God they can reach some sort of potential like this
I’ll say it. As long as Colton is relegated to 3rd and 4th line duties, he may very well be on the CV path as well. Exactly how Z posted above.

Maybe this off-season, with some forthcoming roster moves, he makes his ascension to the top 6.

Or maybe he gets dealt - the latter I would hate to see happen as I think he solves either top six wing void that is to come

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I love Coop as a coach, even if I don't agree with everything he does lineup-wise. But I'll always see Verhaeghe blossoming elsewhere as Cooper's fault for not giving him the space on the top6 to show his potential with us.

Man, it's a stretch to put this on Cooper and not JBB.

Maybe, *maybe* there's an argument that different deployment would've gotten Verhaege to take a discount and stay with us, but even that is questionable.

edit: I mean, it's really on the cap. But if anybody has to take the blame for that kind of issue, it's the GM.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Don't think it's Cooper's or JBB's fault, Verhaghe bet on himself and he won. Even if we matched Florida's offer he knew he was getting more chances in that lineup, and on this side, there was simp,y no room in the top-6 at the time, going into the 2nd cup run all of Palat, Gourde, Coleman and Goodrow were still on the team.

We saw flashes of offense but nobody saw a 40 goal scorer, only thing I'm cheesed about is that it would've been a big f*** you to Toronto if he panned out here.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Man, it's a stretch to put this on Cooper and not JBB.

Maybe, *maybe* there's an argument that different deployment would've gotten Verhaege to take a discount and stay with us, but even that is questionable.

edit: I mean, it's really on the cap. But if anybody has to take the blame for that kind of issue, it's the GM.
I say it's on Cooper because after Verhaeghe finishing the AHL season with 82 points, we didn't give him an appropriate role in order for him to express his offensive talent, thus showing us we should have re-signed him.

It's a "what if" thinking, so it doesn't hold much value, but I think if properly used by Cooper he could have shown us he was worth keeping

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL

There is nothing more annoying - and weak - than the 20/20 hindsight post. Not to mention that this team did not need what Verhaeghe, even potentially, brought at that time. The meltdown at the hands of the CBJs proved that offensive firepower was not what was lacking and the roster moves made in it's wake and subsequent results bore that out.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I say it's on Cooper because after Verhaeghe finishing the AHL season with 82 points, we didn't give him an appropriate role in order for him to express his offensive talent, thus showing us we should have re-signed him.

It's a "what if" thinking, so it doesn't hold much value, but I think if properly used by Cooper he could have shown us he was worth keeping
Eh, as Bill Parcells might have put it, Cooper doesn't buy the groceries, he cooks the dinner

Hard to argue with his cooking when we won a Cup in Verhaeghe's last season here. In fact, I'll take the not-too-controversial position that I would not have wanted Cooper to do a single thing different that year (because winning a Cup is really hard and you never know what might have come out differently, butterfly effect and all).

It's on the GM to identify the talent. Not Cooper's job to make JBB's job easier.

And nobody get me wrong, I have only the mildest complaint with letting Verhaeghe go. I think JBB was doing just about the best he could under the constraints he was dealing with, and this is really more of a "man wouldn't it be nice if..." sort of situation. Florida just made the smart offer, and Verhaeghe was up for it.

Reactions: DrMartinVanNostrand

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
I think with Verhaeghe, what hurt the most was seeing the contract he got after we didnt qualify him... 2y x 1m per would have been a steal for us considering we gave Maroon 1.8 per for 2 years that same free agency. yeah he had arb rights but for a guy who only had 9 goals and 13 points in 52 games, it wouldnt have been that expensive to keep him around. Joseph got 737k for 2 years that year... so for 300k more we could have kept Verhaeghe and moved out Joseph (granted we ended up with Paul in the long run)

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think with Verhaeghe, what hurt the most was seeing the contract he got after we didnt qualify him... 2y x 1m per would have been a steal for us considering we gave Maroon 1.8 per for 2 years that same free agency. yeah he had arb rights but for a guy who only had 9 goals and 13 points in 52 games, it wouldnt have been that expensive to keep him around. Joseph got 737k for 2 years that year... so for 300k more we could have kept Verhaeghe and moved out Joseph (granted we ended up with Paul in the long run)

And you're forgetting we were right against the cap to the last dollar that season?

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
It wasn't about what he was going to cost, it was about what the roster needs were. Even with a value contract, CV wasn't that and we already had enough of what he brought.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012

Fs0LdhtX0AMkkCX.jpg

A happy Kuch watching Vasy catch a fish

Reactions: Zwui21

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You know this is the kind of thing that kick-starts everything into a good direction. It's not a trip to Sweden but in my experience, cutting loose and genuinely having fun like this does wonders before taking the plunge into something as harsh as the playoffs.

I don't know just have this really weird feeling right now that I can't describe. Like it's more optimistic than usual

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
They still have 3rd rd and on in '24 and 2nd rd on in '25. It's just this year that's been gutted with, primarily, the Jeannot trade. I'm fine with him moving some more '24 and '25 picks this off-season as well, if it means finding a better 3LD and one more middle/bottom 6 F.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
So I looked to see what draft picks we still have left and holy shit boys.

We aren't drafting anyone for like 3 years now.

I really hope JFBB knows what he's doing here
TB scouts got achievment "get starplayers at 2nd 3rd and latest rounds" they are bored thats why they decided to get new achievment "get starplayers from undrafted players" xD

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Might be BB season again but honestly, i wouldnt mind seeing Finley get his cup of tea in the bottom 6 for the final few games to give some guys rest

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
Sorry for popping in unannounced but I have a question for you.

Why is Hedman not getting PP time?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad