Speculation: 2022-2023 General Lightning Discussion III: The school bus is actually a garbage truck edition

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Also, if we don't bring in a center at all and roll with who we have next year, can they all spend the summer working on faceoffs with Bergeron? Shit is so predictable.

They sucked on face-off against Toronto last year too, just a bad match up for face-offs against their centers. Point was 57% in 2020, Stamkos is usually in the upper 50% range but they both struggle against TO's centers. Another reason why the RoR add is huge, he's one of the best in the league.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Flames fan in peace.

How do you guys feel about Lalonde's comments on sportsnet about the Lightning doing a study revealing Vasi struggling with shots from the point? Does it annoy the fans? Or does should it not really matter in the grand scheme of things?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Flames fan in peace.

How do you guys feel about Lalonde's comments on sportsnet about the Lightning doing a study revealing Vasi struggling with shots from the point? Does it annoy the fans? Or does should it not really matter in the grand scheme of things?
I find it a bit weird that he’s going public with internal knowledge. Then again everybody can see it in actual games so it’s not that this information is secret. The Lightning are a pretty tight lipped organization so it’s more surprising than disturbing that a former employee breaks this “rule”.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Who cares, I prefer this type of stuff as a fan. If that's a weakness from years ago and still is a weakness then you clearly are doing something wrong. This type of technical stuff should be more open, if you don't like it then fix it and make it false. It's not like other teams don't do their own research, this just brings it out to the fans. It means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Flames fan in peace.

I’d be shocked if there’s a team in the league that didn’t already know this. That said Lalonde would have been better served simply providing the analysis of Vasy’s strengths and weaknesses and not spilling internal details of his time with the Lightning. It’s one thing to say “this is a weakness that Vasy has and this is how the team has adjusted to compensate” and quite another to essentially say “we knew Vasy sucked at this so this is what we did to cover for him.” Yes, everybody knows Lalonde used to work for the Lightning and could guess that his analysis was based on inside knowledge, but it would have been classier on his part not to openly say it.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Flames fan in peace.

Doesn't matter, and honestly any team worth a f*** already knows this and has the statistics. The fact that so many people think they've found the konami code with this is funny.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I dont know man. I cant think of another guy going into hockey media and giving out a specific player's weakness. If nothing else, it's disrespectful to the player to make it public knowledge.

In the grander scheme, we simply dont have the personnel to deal with this this year. The Cooper Shell won us two cups and got us to a third final, so I will never say it doesnt work, but this year we are trying to pull it off with rookies and journeymen. And it's kind of insane to think we have to shelter Vasy in that way anyway.

StammerHammer

Dec 23, 2021
Even though I don't think strategic inside info should be shared I do think the Lightning are a bit too anal about communicating with the fans. Cooper lawyering I guess.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I dont know man. I cant think of another guy going into hockey media and giving out a specific player's weakness. If nothing else, it's disrespectful to the player to make it public knowledge.

In the grander scheme, we simply dont have the personnel to deal with this this year. The Cooper Shell won us two cups and got us to a third final, so I will never say it doesnt work, but this year we are trying to pull it off with rookies and journeymen. And it's kind of insane to think we have to shelter Vasy in that way anyway.

This, not sure why people are crying about it, it was Tampas bread and butter the last 3 years. We just don't have the guys to lock it down anymore, McD and Cernak were pivotal in that.

It's not like it's just Tampa either, teams woth the lead will always go into a more defensive, less risk style and teams behind will take more chances.

As for the comments about Vasi, it's not disrespectful at all, his job is to provide insight, like someone else said he could've worded it better and gone into positives as well but this type of stuff is fair game for a guy on an analyst panel. People getting upset at this type of thing is why hockey is so vanilla and full of PR robots.

Reactions: Hoek and DFC

bov

Nov 13, 2010
He didnt spill any beans at all, it would be common knowldge for any team worth a damn already. Just insightful for the average fan, which is is something you dont always get from a network panel. No issue with Lalonde, always liked his interviews and perspective.

Reactions: Felonious Python

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad