Speculation: 2022-2023 General Lightning Discussion III: The school bus is actually a garbage truck edition

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Hoping Boston follows our example of winning the Presidents Trophy in a record number of wins, and getting swept by WC2
Can't see it happening. Panthers last year were full of Lightning2019 red flags but this Bruins team isn't showing them. Boston has dominated this season a lot through their defense, rather than outscoring all their problems like both the Lightning and the Panthers did.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Unless this is the ultimate game of playing possum, we really could get swept. Pretty much nothing is working except the PP.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
The wild takes about Kuch on the main board on the thread regarding Cap Circumvention and Vegas. Lordy.
10 teams could do the same thing in the same season and it would still come back to Kucherov.

My fav part is how some of them are saying "they even made shirts to brag about it".

Lmao, those shirts were made to mock people like them. And it's worked beautifully.

Lots of copium in that thread for sure.

Last edited:

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
Probably more delusional to think we have a better chance at the cup than a 1st round exit as of now.
I just meant that considering how much panic there has been on this forum over the last 3 years when the Bolts went to 3 SCF and won 2 that the level of panic must be through the roof right now. I'd imagine that the leafs HAVE to be more hungry, borderline desperate, than TB right now considering recent and decades old history, but the series is still a tossup. I'm not looking any farther than round 1.
On a side note, has anyone seen or done research on how many playoffs game each team has played over the last 3 years. I want to know how far behind the Bolts the #2 Eastern Conf team is.

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
Unless this is the ultimate game of playing possum, we really could get swept. Pretty much nothing is working except the PP.
Apparently the last 4+ years mean nothing. Historically dominate and get swept in Rd 1. Last 2 years - Multiple 3+ game losing streaks in the final 2 months of regular season and go to the finals. If there a correlation between reg season and playoff success with this team I haven't found it yet.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Apparently the last 4+ years mean nothing. Historically dominate and get swept in Rd 1. Last 2 years - Multiple 3+ game losing streaks in the final 2 months of regular season and go to the finals. If there a correlation between reg season and playoff success with this team I haven't found it yet.

There is a correlation between losing players from cup winning teams to losing earlier in the playoffs though..... which some people seem to ignore?

I mean context is everything not just some dumb W-L record entering the playoffs, 3 years ago we benefitted from the covid layover giving new players time to aclamate and our players time to get their heads straight.

2 years ago we didn't have Kucherov in the RS and got to go over the cap by 9.5M, adding an Art Ross caliber player for free to your roster entering the playoffs is game changing, sure last year they weren't playing well either, that evidently translated into nearly losing to the Leafs and benefitting from some lucky calls late in the series.

The roster is getting weaker every single year, that ability to play a playoff game with new faces and weaker players is going to take a hit every single year as well.

Last edited:

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
There is a correlation between losing players from cup winning teams to losing earlier in the playoffs though..... which some people seem to ignore?

I mean context is everything not just some dumb W-L record entering the playoffs, 3 years ago we benefitted from the covid layover giving new players time to aclamate and our players time to get their heads straight.

2 years ago we didn't have Kucherov in the RS and got to go over the cap by 9.5M, adding an Art Ross caliber player for free to your roster entering the playoffs is game changing, sure last year they weren't playing well either, that evidently translated into nearly losing to the Leafs and benefitting from some lucky calls late in the series.

The roster is getting weaker every single year, that ability to play a playoff game with new faces and weaker players is going to take a hit every single year as well.
Good points. First 2 counterpoints that come to mind: Hagel, healthy Point

I also FEEL like this year is different and we're unlikely to see a deep run. But that's how a lot of people felt last year and the year before. This team has been too good for multiple years to count them out before the postseason even starts. I bet the Leafs have a lot of teams they'd like to play instead of the Bolts in the first round

Last edited:

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Jennoit kinda sucks and I actually think Ace may be better right now. JBB really missed the mark on this one. But his strategy helped us win two cups. So we accept the failure. He got absolutely worked at the TDL this year

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
JBB fumbled hard this year. Gotta see if Jeannot pulls a Hagel and becomes useful.

He needs to retool the defense tho. Raddysh and Perbix should become staples but we need a shutdown dman to replace the GIANT hole McDonagh left.

All of this means nothing if Vasy is truly broken

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad