Speculation: 2022-2023 General Lightning Discussion III: The school bus is actually a garbage truck edition

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
And you expect him to sign for 1.5 too I guess. What is the reason Hagel was brought in? I hope your answer is to score goal with two of the best play makers in the league. If you were the player going into a contract negotiation would you be better off at 30 or 40 goals? I will say again he is a good player but on this line he should easily hit 40.

Palat was not a pure scorer he had other areas of his game that made him valuable. But Hagel was brought here to replace Palat on the top line he did not move in to that role until Palat moved on. It’s my opinion that was the determining factor to upgrade that line. I would bet if Colton were moved to that line opening night and played there the entire year he would have 25g and 50 off points. Which would hit your expectations of great.

I suppose we’re just going to disagree about where Hagel should top out. On that line there’s no reason he should not have 40 goals and probably 30 assts. what the guy was paid this year is immaterial. What he will earn on his next contract is material especially if JBB does in fact move out more goals from Killorn to sign Hagel. I say again you can not continue to subtract scoring to sign guys that chase no reasonable chance in recouping the goals lost in the other player. This is especially critical now due to the fact there are no players in the system that can come in and make up the lost goals from Killorn.
LOL you have to be f***ing kidding! Literally 1 person has put up 30 or 40 goals playing with Point and Kucherov...Stamkos. Literally zero other people have. No one. What the f*** are you expecting? Seriously you make Hose look rational.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Point actually sucks as a playmaker not sure why this guy thinks its easy to score with him. He only gels with other high skill players otherwise he just skates it in and tries to do everything himself.

I dunno man harping on Hagel right now just looks dumb.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Point actually sucks as a playmaker not sure why this guy thinks its easy to score with him. He only gels with other high skill players otherwise he just skates it in and tries to do everything himself.

I dunno man harping on Hagel right now just looks dumb.
Pretty much at this point, if you don't put up 40 goals playing with Point and Kuch, consider yourself a bum and a scrub.

Reactions: J T Money

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Funny after all this nbthe pregame they point out that Hagel needs to get hot and come out of his scoreless streak.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Re lines: The weird thing is that we’ll most likely see lines similar to last year’s playoffs against Toronto. So why not have a little fun with the lines right now, Coop?

I’m expecting this for game 1:

Hagel-Stamkos-Kucherov
Point-Cirelli-Killorn (against Matthews/Marner)
Bottom-6

It’s gonna be interesting to see what we do when Toronto splits #34 and #16 which they did a lot this season IIRC.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Re lines: The weird thing is that we’ll most likely see lines similar to last year’s playoffs against Toronto. So why not have a little fun with the lines right now, Coop?

I’m expecting this for game 1:

Hagel-Stamkos-Kucherov
Point-Cirelli-Killorn (against Matthews/Marner)
Bottom-6

It’s gonna be interesting to see what we do when Toronto splits #34 and #16 which they did a lot this season IIRC.

Honestly would be insanely stupid to split up Kucherov and Point, you make both of them weaker and I just don't see him doing that. The biggest reason Stamkos and Kucherov were together is because they played nearly the entire season together last year, we went back to Point-Kucherov this season with Stamkos splitting time on wing.

Contrary to some belief, we did not randomly change our lines midway through the series as discovered a "shutdown pairing in Cirelli and Point" the entire team did a 180 and found their playoff game, with Vasilevski being the biggest difference in the latter half of the series. Stamkos and Kucherov, Point and Cirelli were the pairings from game 1 as they were for the majority of the season last year. Cooper makes some odd decisions but he's not going to start random lines on day 1 of the playoffs after a full 82 games.

We'll likely see an iteration of:

Hagel-Point-Kucherov
Killorn-Cirelli-Stamkos

or

Stamkos-Point-Kucherov
Hagel-Cirelli-Killorn

as those have been the most common use pairings this season, maybe he'll figure out Cirelli is best used as a 3C but that's asking a bit much.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I've not done the math, but given how the teams behind us are playing, it might be enough with just another win to be in the playoffs, 96 points should definitely be enough for the third place.

In theory, 92 will probably be enough to get into the playoffs.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I've not done the math, but given how the teams behind us are playing, it might be enough with just another win to be in the playoffs, 96 points should definitely be enough for the third place.

In theory, 92 will probably be enough to get into the playoffs.

If Florida wins out they have 44 wins and 95 points, if Buffalo wins out they have 44 wins and 94 points, Ottawa, 44 wins and 93 points. So 2 wins or 96 points will guarantee 3rd in the Atlantic and a playoff position.

Remaining schedule is Caps, Islanders, Rangers, Islanders, Sens, Leafs and Wings, honestly could see us losing 6 or 7 of those. Would be funny if the Isles and Panthers get hot swapping us to WC1 and played the Hurricanes instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maelmoor

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Honestly would be insanely stupid to split up Kucherov and Point, you make both of them weaker and I just don't see him doing that. The biggest reason Stamkos and Kucherov were together is because they played nearly the entire season together last year, we went back to Point-Kucherov this season with Stamkos splitting time on wing.

Contrary to some belief, we did not randomly change our lines midway through the series as discovered a "shutdown pairing in Cirelli and Point" the entire team did a 180 and found their playoff game, with Vasilevski being the biggest difference in the latter half of the series. Stamkos and Kucherov, Point and Cirelli were the pairings from game 1 as they were for the majority of the season last year. Cooper makes some odd decisions but he's not going to start random lines on day 1 of the playoffs after a full 82 games.

We'll likely see an iteration of:

Hagel-Point-Kucherov
Killorn-Cirelli-Stamkos

or

Stamkos-Point-Kucherov
Hagel-Cirelli-Killorn

as those have been the most common use pairings this season, maybe he'll figure out Cirelli is best used as a 3C but that's asking a bit much.
Just before last season’s playoffs Point was with Paul and Colton on the 2nd line and Cirelli with Killorn and Hagel on the 3rd:

Coop came up with / started using 17-71-21 in game 1.

To be clear I don’t want to split up Point and Kuch either.

Last edited:

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Lightning played better defense these last two games, and it was nice to watch, but I'd like to see more secondary scoring. Secondary scoring usually wins one or two games during a playoff series. But saying that.... during "Cup" playoff runs. Lightning only scored 2 goals or less a bunch of times, while they won playoff games 1-0 & 2-1 after getting swept in 2019. If Lightning play D like they have these last 2 games, they can beat anyone in a playoff series.

After a month road trip from hell (4 games a week & 4 back-to-back Sat/Sun road games). I'm thinking the Lightning going on-the-road, for only 4 of next 17/18 days, will give them some needed rest before playoffs start. Plus, they'll get more time to practice because they haven't had much of time to practice since trade deadline. We'll see if more practice time can tighten Defense up even more so. Fingers crossed....

Go Lightning !!!!

Last edited:

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Trade Cirelli in the offseason
Teams generally don't trade core pieces they just signed to an 8 year extension. Tampa certainly wouldn't be moving him for picks and/or prospects in a win now position, so unless they found a team willing to trade probably 2 players equal to or less than his cap hit and that were at least as talented at their positions, it's not happening. Many teams that might have these kind of pieces also have their own cap issues, so they wouldn't be able to take on Cirelli's 6.25 without sending comparable cap back. Even if they could find a great dman+lower tier F as the basis of a trade, odds are they'd then have to factor in an extension on one, if not both of them much sooner than later, which may or may not be possible given the cap situation. Maybe if some team wants to offer up two quality players+, then JBB at least listens, but otherwise it's likely a quick no thanks.

UseYourHedman

Hold my beer for a sec
Mar 17, 2018
PNW
If Hagel does any more the guy is gonna make like $7 million per season
This! I actually want him to chill out so his contract price can stop sky rocketing!
I think we're all good here. No state taxes!

giphy.gif

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Tampa will likely be able to keep both Cirelli and Hagel, as JBB will probably work on extending Hagel this summer to have more certainty on the amount of cap they'll have(at least ballpark) for the following Summer(and it's been the usual plan with how JBB has done extensions as of late). After next season, the cap goes up more than a million more than likely, and Stamkos takes a small discount to finish his career in Tampa. Cirelli is going nowhere, as it's very evident the front office and staff believes he's part of the core moving forward. Killorn should be the only piece of the top 9 that is gone, unless they value him over Colton. I guess all the members of the Cirelli scapegoat club will likely be disappointed.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Tampa will likely be able to keep both Cirelli and Hagel, as JBB will probably work on extending Hagel this summer to have more certainty on the amount of cap they'll have(at least ballpark) for the following Summer(and it's been the usual plan with how JBB has done extensions as of late). After next season, the cap goes up more than a million more than likely, and Stamkos takes a small discount to finish his career in Tampa. Cirelli is going nowhere, as it's very evident the front office and staff believes he's part of the core moving forward. Killorn should be the only piece of the top 9 that is gone, unless they value him over Colton. I guess all the members of the Cirelli scapegoat club will likely be disappointed.
Thinking Cirelli would be traded is dumb. That contract was given out as part of the new core. Point as 1C, Cirelli as 2C. The production rate is low for Cirelli there but is offset by his defense/pk. The issue is that our team has lost a lot of speed the last two years. Whoever can replace Killorn will likely not be as productive offensively, nor would we have any cap space/capital to trade and put someone equal in his place. So yeah, Colton being the guy makes sense. I'm just not sure how well rolling the Cirelli/Stamkos tandem with whoever as LW will work when we are wasting one of the best shots in the game with a shutdown center. It should be a playmaker on the wing or a center. Unfortunately our asses are so strapped and unable to accommodate but we have redundant pieces nearly everywhere in the bottom 9 makeup of the forward group.

Reactions: Byrddog

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Thinking Cirelli would be traded is dumb. That contract was given out as part of the new core. Point as 1C, Cirelli as 2C. The production rate is low for Cirelli there but is offset by his defense/pk. The issue is that our team has lost a lot of speed the last two years. Whoever can replace Killorn will likely not be as productive offensively, nor would we have any cap space/capital to trade and put someone equal in his place. So yeah, Colton being the guy makes sense. I'm just not sure how well rolling the Cirelli/Stamkos tandem with whoever as LW will work when we are wasting one of the best shots in the game with a shutdown center. It should be a playmaker on the wing or a center. Unfortunately our asses are so strapped and unable to accommodate but we have redundant pieces nearly everywhere in the bottom 9 makeup of the forward group.
With good line management, they could still roll out these lines next year:
Hagel-Point-Kuch
ABB-Paul-Stamkos
Colton-Cirelli-Jeannot
Maroon-Eyssimont-(best Crunch option or cheap ufa signing)
ABB has earned another shot next season. He's over ppg this year in Syracuse, and he's only had 32 NHL games, which is far from enough to say he's a bust. Put him on a scoring line and see if he can make it work.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
With good line management, they could still roll out these lines next year:
Hagel-Point-Kuch
ABB-Paul-Stamkos
Colton-Cirelli-Jeannot
Maroon-Eyssimont-(best Crunch option or cheap ufa signing)
ABB has earned another shot next season. He's over ppg this year in Syracuse, and he's only had 32 NHL games, which is far from enough to say he's a bust. Put him on a scoring line and see if he can make it work.
It's probably his last shot if he honestly gets another, which I don't think he will. I don't watch the crunch to know other than what I've seen him do with us, but I'm doubtful he gets another crack. It's not a bad lineup if Jeannot could move his feet. If not, swap Colton and try Fortier there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad