Zetterberg's career is over... So Sad

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Why would I be upset about a broken down player retiring? I miss the Z from 5+ years ago. The current Z will not be missed. I have no desire to see a (now) mediocre player, play poorly for a bottom feeding team. I don't see why that would be fun for me, or anyone really.

Because it’s the end of a fabulous career? Because even broke down he was still damn good?

Because one of the two last holdovers from the prior era is gone.

If you can promise me you weren’t sad at Yzermans retirement or you don’t at all post your reaction at Z’s retirement ceremony when it happens this season... I’ll believe you. If you did or you do, you’re full of crap.

stu the grim reaper

Jul 3, 2002
we'
He was my favorite Wing. We don't win the Cup in 08 without his efforts and without him the team would likely have gone to mediocrity already back then as well. I don't know if I am sad about it, it's natural. Even Chelios couldn't cheat nature forever.

I'm the same age as Zetterberg, and it's just the passage of time. It's funny because when you start watching sports the players are all much older than you..then they are around your age and finally they're all younger than you. Takes a while to get used to the fact that the last phase is the longest in life.

For the Wings the "Z&D" era really already ended a few years ago. It probably should have ended sooner to be honest. I appreciate Z only played for the Wings but trading him after 2011 may have been sensible for both the Wings and him...for the Wings to initiate a quicker rebuild and for Z to finish his career on a team that isn't just an also-ran.

i think we'll have to wait and see a few years from now if players like Larkin et al attribute their success to learning professionalism from veterans likes zetterberg

stu the grim reaper

Jul 3, 2002
There's no point in debating with them. They're only interested in getting attention. Pisses me off though that one of the best players and leaders of his generation can't have a respectful retirement thread.

Im not impressed with how detnews and freep are covering it either

RoyalDoubleMcCheesie

Aug 31, 2008
Knew this day was coming sooner than later with all of the reports not practicing the entire 2nd half of last year.

But still a sad to see him go so close to 1000 points hell of a warrior and what a pleasure to watch especially him and dats on the same line showing a amazing display of magic.

Enjoy your time to recoup and hopefully see you again in some kind of capacity in the organization.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
For one, it's not really all that much hindsight given I talked about it several years ago. Obviously I knew it'd never happen given this front office only admitted about 6 months ago that they're in a rebuilding scenario - smart fans noticed this over 5 years ago, even the dumbest fans probably about a year ago.

Secondly, the decision to trade someone is not derived from their current value but the value they have in relation to your team's ability to win a Cup. The Wings were not a Cup contender then and with their stars ageing and declining..they weren't really in position to be one again with their core (reality proved this quite convincingly as they didn't even get close to contending again).

Once they're no longer a contender, the smart team drops what they have of value for the current cycle and picks up stuff useful in the next cycle. Zetterberg was a very useful player then, so one could have gotten something useful in return. Useful not for 2012 or 2013, but useful for 2017, 2018 and so forth. What valuable thing did Wings fans or Wings stakeholders get between 2012 and 2018? Abysmal playoff failures? A slow but steady skid into terrible team territory? Rebuilding before it's obvious to even the last sentimentally attached fan out there gives you the distinct advantage of not wasting several years in no man's land while you're figuring out what to do. The Wings failed to do that, some fans knew it then, some fans still can barely accept it now. Sad.

You rebuild so you can get a player of Zetterberg's ilk. You don't willfully toss him into the ether at 30-31 years old.

The problem isn't that they had Henrik Zetterberg. It's that they kept signing a bunch of worthless grinder types, a bunch of meh, and missed at the big tickets they went for.

Also, the Wings were ABSOLUTELY a cup contender in 2008-2009 (should have won), 2009-2010 (2nd in division and lost to the Sharks) 2010-11 (won the division), 2011-12 (didn't they have the best record in hockey at the TDL before everyone got hurt?).

Make the argument that they should do stuff after they missed out on Ryan Suter in the 2012 offseason. That's an argument with more legs.

However, guys like Z and Datsyuk are those that you keep and try to add to. They were absolutely a core of players you could contend with if the Wings got ****ing ANYTHING substantial out of their drafts from 2005-2012. But yeah, they should have dumped a still close to PPG Zetterberg for another draft pick shot, a prospect chance, and that. Good call.

Zetterberg is one of the types of players that you draft and you feel lucky as **** to have for his entire career and you trade him to a better team if he asks you. You don't toss him into the cycle as another asset you could possibly have. This whole "if you're not first, you're last" or "if you're not a Cup favorite, you should be the worst team in the league" is ludicrous to me. And the fact that this is what goes through you head on the day that one of the most venerable faces of the franchise has to call it quits because he is literally too injured to contniue is disugsting to me.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Class act and a great player. Was hoping he could hang in there long enough to hit 1000 but I'm glad he's putting his health first.

Is the cap penalty for retired players Cap Hit minus Total Salary?

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Major, Major Debate there... Going to be fascinating
Ya as an outsider I don't think his should be retired. Considering the bar for Detroit players is a little higher as you've had a ton of stars. I don't think he makes the cut or should. Hit 80 or more points 3 times and broke 30 goals 4 times high of 43. I know he did a lot more then score though being a great defensive player as well. A great career regardless sad to go that way.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Class act and a great player. Was hoping he could hang in there long enough to hit 1000 but I'm glad he's putting his health first.

Is the cap penalty for retired players Cap Hit minus Total Salary?

He’s going on LTIR. So same cap ramifications as Franzen

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
He’s going on LTIR. So same cap ramifications as Franzen

Did the Wings confirm this? Seen a lot of discussion around it, not sure what to believe at this point.

EDIT: Yup, you're right. "Assistant general manager Ryan Martin said the Wings will place Zetterberg on LTIR when they need relief." –St. James

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Did the Wings confirm this? Seen a lot of discussion around it, not sure what to believe at this point.

EDIT: Yup, you're right. "Assistant general manager Ryan Martin said the Wings will place Zetterberg on LTIR when they need relief." –St. James

I mean, that's what makes sense. Z announcing his retirement is no different than what Pronger, Franzen, etc. did, so it should be treated indentically. If Hossa can get away with quite literally "I would play with this disgusting gunk for 7M but not for 3M", Zetterberg would have no issues saying "My back is ****ed and it's quite literally never going to get better."

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I mean, that's what makes sense. Z announcing his retirement is no different than what Pronger, Franzen, etc. did, so it should be treated indentically. If Hossa can get away with quite literally "I would play with this disgusting gunk for 7M but not for 3M", Zetterberg would have no issues saying "My back is ****ed and it's quite literally never going to get better."

For sure, works a lot better for us but that shit is just confusing. I read "Zetterberg retires" and think he retired, but I guess technically he didn't.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
For sure, that **** is just confusing. I read "Zetterberg retires" and think he retired, but I guess technically he didn't.

He retired. He's done playing hockey.

But by the letter of the CBA, if he submits his retirement paperwork, Detroit gets slapped with recapture (I believe it would be 4.3M for the next three years). So, he's going to be on LTIR like Franzen has been, get his full paycheck, and the Wings will be able to replace his and Franzen's money on the cap with players. So, maybe two more years of dallying around with LTIR games and we are back to clear on the board.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Stupid question but when a player is on LTIR, do they still get paid?

I assumed they did but it goes against the narrative that Z is retiring because his salary dropped down. Hossa as well. I guess it's something I never really pondered.

EDIT: Just saw tsweeny's post which states that they do get paid.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
There's a new Z in town and if he turns out to be half as good as the old one, the Wings did well picking him 6th.

filip-zadina-2017-2083.jpg

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Pretty unfortunate his career ended up this way.

But I’ll remember him as being a great leader and a great Wing. He still owns the best shift I’ve ever seen someone have in a SCF game.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Because it’s the end of a fabulous career? Because even broke down he was still damn good?

Because one of the two last holdovers from the prior era is gone.

If you can promise me you weren’t sad at Yzermans retirement or you don’t at all post your reaction at Z’s retirement ceremony when it happens this season... I’ll believe you. If you did or you do, you’re full of crap.

What aren't you understanding? I appreciate everything Z has done over the years, he was a great player. However, he's not what we once was, and I have no desire seeing a broken old man, average at best hockey player (at this point), slowly skate around for a last place team. That gives me no joy whatsoever, and i'm not sure why it would give to anyone.

We need to move on from the prior era. Its over. Time to start a new era. Once Kronwall is gone now.....we can finally move past holding onto past glories and pretending they still matter at this point.

And no, i've never gotten sad when past their prime, former starts retire, Yzerman included. I'm sad they aren't superstars anymore and I miss the glory days of Z....but I won't miss the Z from the last couple years one bit.

And BTW, Zetterberg is MY FAVORITE RED WING OF ALL TIME. This version of Z simply does nothing for me, so it doesn't take me sad one bit that he's gone.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
This is decidedly not good news. This is the end of an era of one of the greatest people to wear the winged wheel. Anyone happy about him being so broken that he can't play is sick in my mind.
Rare that you and I agree, but am 100% with you on this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad