Zetterberg's career is over... So Sad

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
For a new era moving forward, it has to be Larkin in my opinion. Giving it to Kronwall for 1 year would just be a waste when in reality Kronwall should be hanging them up too with his knee issues.
You don't have to give it to anyone immediately. Maybe next season when the Z-less Wings have an idea who is taking up the mantle, but not just yet.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's become a cliche phrase but when coaches talk about compete level, Zetterberg is the gold standard.

Even at 37 years old playing with a back so bad he couldn't practice, he managed to put up 56 points and be the second highest scorer on the team. The beard is strong...

Sad he didn't get to end it on his terms or hit 1,000 points but what a player. He should also have a Selke or two in addition to that Conn Smythe.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
The inevitable has happened. I was expecting this news for some time. Henrik, no doubt, want to make sure before calling it quits. It's not worthy of him to go out in this matter but health can be a liabity for an athlete.

Boss. Legend. Hall of Famer.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Has a presss conference been announced? I can't wait to tear up with Z one last time. Would be great if Datsyuk would attend but that's highly unlikely.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Honestly, part of me is really happy I won't be watching a clearly hobbled Z be the heart of this team, playing more minutes than he should. His effort, even while clearly injured on the recent bad teams was remarkable - a true leader and one of the best Wings ever.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
So, wait... this sounds more definitive than LTIRetirement. Are we going to have to eat the penalty? Surely you can't admit a guy is done playing, but then keep them on LTIR as though there's still a chance, right? The league would want that player to fill out retirement paperwork, I would imagine.

BeersHockey

Jun 15, 2011
Chicago, IL
So, wait... this sounds more definitive than LTIRetirement. Are we going to have to eat the penalty? Surely you can't admit a guy is done playing, but then keep them on LTIR as though there's still a chance, right? The league would want that player to fill out retirement paperwork, I would imagine.

Eh, look at Pronger - he was working for the league and still on LTIR. The only thing the league cares about is whether he is actually injured, or if it's a ploy to retire when the $$ goes way down (like Hossa).

Reactions: Oddbob

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
I'm so sad. It's moments like these where you don't realize how great of a time you were in where you watch players like Datsyuk and now Zetterberg until they are gone :(. No player will ever replace that glorious bears and slicked back flow combination.

So, does Zetterberg go back home or does he work with the organization?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
They are considered retired only once they submit the proper paperwork.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Right, but I'm saying the league might not allow the Wings to receive cap relief for a player who has publicly announced that they are retiring. LTIR is for players who still hope to play, is it not?

Until he officially files his retirement papers there's nothing the league can do.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Hahahaha, you sweet summer child.

See: Chris Pronger. See: Johan Franzen. See: Marc Savard

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Sorry to see his career end but I'm also am happy he's finally able to make the call. I never for a second lamented Lidstrom's retirement despite the fact he clearly could have helped the team. Z is one of the top 10ish Red Wings of all time and I've greatly enjoyed watching him play. Any time anyone has lingering health issues like Z and Mule I am probably more relieved than most when they finally retire - or LTIR. Thanks for the great career Z, it was tremendously enjoyable watching you, Pav and Homer take over the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad