Zetterberg's career is over... So Sad

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
This is great news. 1 more year and Kronwall is gone too thank goodness.

While I agree it's time to move towards the future. Saying "great news" is too soon and maybe perceived as disrespectful. I agree though Kronwall is past his expiration date and should have called it a career a while ago.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
He was my favorite Wing. We don't win the Cup in 08 without his efforts and without him the team would likely have gone to mediocrity already back then as well. I don't know if I am sad about it, it's natural. Even Chelios couldn't cheat nature forever.

I'm the same age as Zetterberg, and it's just the passage of time. It's funny because when you start watching sports the players are all much older than you..then they are around your age and finally they're all younger than you. Takes a while to get used to the fact that the last phase is the longest in life.

For the Wings the "Z&D" era really already ended a few years ago. It probably should have ended sooner to be honest. I appreciate Z only played for the Wings but trading him after 2011 may have been sensible for both the Wings and him...for the Wings to initiate a quicker rebuild and for Z to finish his career on a team that isn't just an also-ran.

Reactions: TheMule93
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Hahahaha, you sweet summer child.

See: Chris Pronger. See: Johan Franzen. See: Marc Savard
But there's a lot of difference between being functionally retired and never saying it and the organization publicly announcing you're done with no intent to play. Remember, the NHL is run by lawyers. What the Wings say will be held against them. Honestly, I don't know why they put this out in the public. They should have let Z 'try' to come back and fail.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
He was my favorite Wing. We don't win the Cup in 08 without his efforts and without him the team would likely have gone to mediocrity already back then as well. I don't know if I am sad about it, it's natural. Even Chelios couldn't cheat nature forever.

I'm the same age as Zetterberg, and it's just the passage of time. It's funny because when you start watching sports the players are all much older than you..then they are around your age and finally they're all younger than you. Takes a while to get used to the fact that the last phase is the longest in life.

For the Wings the "Z&D" era really already ended a few years ago. It probably should have ended sooner to be honest. I appreciate Z only played for the Wings but trading him after 2011 may have been sensible for both the Wings and him...for the Wings to initiate a quicker rebuild and for Z to finish his career on a team that isn't just an also-ran.

No. It wouldn't have.

Trading him or Datsyuk in 2011 would have been stupid. Or should Chicago trade Patrick Kane right now? You know, for rebuild purposes.

Z in 2011 was a bonafide #1C who was 30 years old and had a 6M AAV. Saying "man, we should have traded him" is 100% hindsight driven and kinda ridiculous. What the Wings should have done is try to land something big to supplement their two elite Cs.

There is no trade that would have been made in 2011 involving Zetterberg that would have provided Detroit more value than holding onto Z did.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
But there's a lot of difference between being functionally retired and never saying it and the organization publicly announcing you're done with no intent to play. Remember, the NHL is run by lawyers. What the Wings say will be held against them.

Pronger worked for the league in the player safety office (aka a position where he'd have to be objective and not favor the team paying his salary) and they let that fly.

And with Pronger, there were numerous interviews with Pronger, with Flyers management, with whoever that all said his eyes were borked beyond NHL playing capability.

There is no difference whatsoever. The league knows that it overstepped its bounds by retroactively attaching the penalty to the contracts they themselves approved, so they're letting those contracts get LTIRetirement. It's the same reason that Nashville isn't going to get killed for Weber's recapture when they really ought to be when Weber hangs them up.

CaptainZetterberg40

Nov 2, 2014
I'm sad that Zetterberg retires today, but I am also happy that I had the chance to live alongside and witness his career from when I was a young kid to an adult now. He provided us with all he had and we couldn't ask any more of him. May he have a beautiful life from here on out

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Shame the Wings didn't win the 2 other cups they should have easily won.. Oh well.

Yeah, big time bummer that they lost in 2009. I still can't believe that one. If they replay that game 7 9 more times, the Wings probably take all 9. They lost a game on a couple bounces off Maxime Talbot's stick. Hell, I don't know how Pittsburgh got off the mat after Detroit bodied them so hard in game 5.

Reactions: KJoe88

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
No. It wouldn't have.

Trading him or Datsyuk in 2011 would have been stupid. Or should Chicago trade Patrick Kane right now? You know, for rebuild purposes.

Z in 2011 was a bonafide #1C who was 30 years old and had a 6M AAV. Saying "man, we should have traded him" is 100% hindsight driven and kinda ridiculous. What the Wings should have done is try to land something big to supplement their two elite Cs.

There is no trade that would have been made in 2011 involving Zetterberg that would have provided Detroit more value than holding onto Z did.

For one, it's not really all that much hindsight given I talked about it several years ago. Obviously I knew it'd never happen given this front office only admitted about 6 months ago that they're in a rebuilding scenario - smart fans noticed this over 5 years ago, even the dumbest fans probably about a year ago.

Secondly, the decision to trade someone is not derived from their current value but the value they have in relation to your team's ability to win a Cup. The Wings were not a Cup contender then and with their stars ageing and declining..they weren't really in position to be one again with their core (reality proved this quite convincingly as they didn't even get close to contending again).

Once they're no longer a contender, the smart team drops what they have of value for the current cycle and picks up stuff useful in the next cycle. Zetterberg was a very useful player then, so one could have gotten something useful in return. Useful not for 2012 or 2013, but useful for 2017, 2018 and so forth. What valuable thing did Wings fans or Wings stakeholders get between 2012 and 2018? Abysmal playoff failures? A slow but steady skid into terrible team territory? Rebuilding before it's obvious to even the last sentimentally attached fan out there gives you the distinct advantage of not wasting several years in no man's land while you're figuring out what to do. The Wings failed to do that, some fans knew it then, some fans still can barely accept it now. Sad.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
This is decidedly not good news. This is the end of an era of one of the greatest people to wear the winged wheel. Anyone happy about him being so broken that he can't play is sick in my mind.
We shouldn't be happy that he's so broken, but we should be happy he's not trying to push through his brokenness anymore. If he kept going, he could have gotten hurt even worse. At least he's got good quality of life now.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The league employed someone who was on LTIR...
And elected him to the HHoF!

Chris Pronger was simultaneously on the roster for the Flyers, an employee of the NHL Front office, and in the HHoF. That's quite the hat trick.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I imagine they'll do something similar to Daniel Alfredsson where he came out and skated one last time in his full uniform.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Or should Chicago trade Patrick Kane right now? You know, for rebuild purposes.
If they could get a good return for him? Absolutely, since I don't think they make it out of the first round again with this core. But we can start another thread to debate that, since this one is about Hank.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Yuck. Save that for tomorrow and beyond.

Why would I be upset about a broken down player retiring? I miss the Z from 5+ years ago. The current Z will not be missed. I have no desire to see a (now) mediocre player, play poorly for a bottom feeding team. I don't see why that would be fun for me, or anyone really.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
The general discussion board on Z retiring makes me want to do mean and rude things to those people. Ezekial, you are doing a great job trying to shut down that ignorant flyers fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad