Injury Report: Zdeno Chara

Status
Not open for further replies.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I hope not, because that's not what this d skill set is. I hope he lets them use what there good at, skating and moving the puck.

But your probably right, Clode loves lock down D...

I think he's really gonna use the forwards to cover up the middle. Breakouts could be slow for a while cuz everyone's always going to be behind our own blue line. Either way I'm interested to see what happens here. Not so much hopeful, just interested.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Mike Green wasn't afraid of Lucic because everyone in the hockey world knows he can't fight with his injured wrist. If his wrist was healthy, Mike Green would have peed his pants like Nick Brophy.

It's his left wrist...Lucic throws righty...Was atleast looking for a patented Lucic gloved punch to his face./

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Just flirt with .500 and turn it up in January to push into a top 8 spot.
That might be harder than you think. They're under .500 with Chara (with one shootout win), so it'll be interesting to see what they'll be without him.

Now is the time when Claude's defensive system really shows its strength. Roster wise, as it stands for the next game, the Bruins are probably icing one of the bottom 5 teams in the league talent wise, but they'll play better than that.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Just shows you how crazy and unpredictable this game is. All the talk yesterday was on acquiring a RW to play on the top line, Chris Stewart and his compete level, or lack thereof, being the main focus of discussion.

Today it's Chara's condition, the Boychuk trade and the impact on the Bruins 'D'.

Next week, who knows. Avoid the panic now, it could get worse.

The FO can't predict injury, but I am hard pressed to think that they don't consider that there may be injuries, be it to forwards, d-men, goalies, etc. and attempt in some manner to prepare. Thing is, there are risks inherent in every move, especially when you're up against a cap. The B's made a move (Johnny Rocket) to alleviate a cap issue, that trade carried a risk (thinner D corps), and they may have gotten burned here.

No time to cry about it...it'll be more interesting to see what they do about it and a lot of the answer (outside of Chara's prognosis) hinges on whether management thinks this team has any shot to win this year (or next) to begin with.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
You want to talk about suck, look at Stewart's game recently. Guy has been under performing for 3- 4 years. I like him as a player when he's playing well, but don't fool yourself about what he is right now. He'd be a guy that they hope can find his game through a change of scenery. He's basically a flier that if it works out great, but he has the potential to be nothing more than an overpaid 15 goal scorer if he doesn't return to form. That's not a guy I trade an asset like Marchand for.

Why we talking about Marchand like he is this great asset. He is not anymore, I am tired of his play, his turnovers, his antics. Ok maybe Stewart is not the answer, but neither is Marchand.

Like I said if we trade for Myers, we give up a top 6 and I think Marchy is it. Also, I think Buffalo would insist we take Stewart. Do you do that trade to get Myers?

acr*

I actually think as long as Chara comes back without needing surgery, even if it's two months, they'll be ok. Just flirt with .500 and turn it up in January to push into a top 8 spot. Screw winning the division, just get your ass to the dance and see what happens.

What I am interested in now is the game planning. Do they pull back and play to win 1-0 or do they use the swift skating youth on defense and try to win 4-3 every night? Both have huge risks, cuz their D right now isn't strong enough to play for 1-0 and they don't have the firepower to trade punches 4-3. They can't play it both ways though, they're not nearly skilled and deep enough now. Time to pick your poison, your move Julien.

He will want to win 1-0, but that is not how this team is built. I think Chia makes a move to get a RW on the top line, we push the offense and tell Tuukka to keep us in it.

acr*

It's his left wrist...Lucic throws righty...Was atleast looking for a patented Lucic gloved punch to his face./

He has to hold on with the left though, which is not easy and hard on the wrist.

If he punches Green in the face, he could be forced into a bad situation where he has to fight with a bad wrist (not from Green of course) or turtle. Would either of those be a better option than him just looking at Green and thinking "I'll see you again in February mofo."

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I hope not, because that's not what this d skill set is. I hope he lets them use what there good at, skating and moving the puck.

But your probably right, Clode loves lock down D...

He's going to have the forwards help more on D than they do now, I can see it coming from here.

IMO he only let his D skate & move the puck because they've had Chara & Seids to help them out. With Z out and Seids still trying to regain his form no way Julien lets those kids off the leash now. If anything he will tighten it.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Can we start pretending Johnny Boychuk is Bobby Orr . He's not,he's just not. Even if we would have kept Boychuck it would be no different.

The difference is the Bruins would have had another top 4 defender. They are definitely lacking one now if they weren't already. You can try to spin it any way you want but this team is better with Boychuk than without Boychuk.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
The difference is the Bruins would have had another top 4 defender. They are definitely lacking one now if they weren't already. You can try to spin it any way you want but this team is better with Boychuk than without Boychuk.

They'd also probably be over the cap with Boychuk. You can't have it both ways.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
That might be harder than you think. They're under .500 with Chara (with one shootout win), so it'll be interesting to see what they'll be without him.

Now is the time when Claude's defensive system really shows its strength. Roster wise, as it stands for the next game, the Bruins are probably icing one of the bottom 5 teams in the league talent wise, but they'll play better than that.

So losing Chara has the Bruins go from one of the top teams in the league to bottom 5?

For sure, it is a huge blow losing the top shutting down D in the league. The task will be harder no doubt. But all the forwards are healthy, We have an advantage on depth over many team there. Rask is also a better G than many teams. Our D is weakened for sure. But we'll see who steps up and how they do.

Like I said, if a weaker TB team could get 100+ pts without Stamkos for almost a whole year, no reason why this Bruins team can't do the same thing. Not that it would be easy but if they play like they can, it's doable.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I think he's really gonna use the forwards to cover up the middle. Breakouts could be slow for a while cuz everyone's always going to be behind our own blue line. Either way I'm interested to see what happens here. Not so much hopeful, just interested.

So glad we implore our forwards to play 2 way hockey and that we have depth at the center position.

Bergeron, Krejci, Campbell, Kelly and Soderberg are going to be relied upon the most.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
So losing Chara has the Bruins go from one of the top teams in the league to bottom 5?

For sure, it is a huge blow losing the top shutting down D in the league. The task will be harder no doubt. But all the forwards are healthy, We have an advantage on depth over many team there. Rask is also a better G than many teams. Our D is weakened for sure. But we'll see who steps up and how they do.

Like I said, if a weaker TB team could get 100+ pts without Stamkos for almost a whole year, no reason why this Bruins team can't do the same thing. Not that it would be easy but if they play like they can, it's doable.
Bruins have always been pretty low talent wise. That's not how this team is built. They got a talented goalie, first Thomas now Rask, and then a couple talented guys at key positions, but the rest are hard working grinders who play like Julien tells them to play. Whenever they've had sparks of offensive talent they've traded them for more of the same hard working grinders. They don't really have a first line, nor do they really have a fourth line. They just have lines. They were weaker this season to begin with, and with Chara gone they're pretty bad. They'll still play the system though so it'll get some points on the board.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site

You do realize we are already missing Boychuk, Miller, Iginla and now Chara

This isnt one player...

#1, #2/3, #4 defensemen and #1 RW. Thats a lot for any team to handle. This isn't last year's team minus Chara. Its a lot different.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Dunno if this has been posted already - is this the cause of injury? Chara makes a very small change of direction just before impact and Tavares drives into his left knee

PhonyMenacingBlackfootedferret.gif

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I'm hoping this injury is the kick in the butt this team needed to start playing like they can.

-Many team don't have a Chara and are still winning games.
-Many teams don't roll Krejci-Bergy-Yeti shift after shift and are still winning games.
-Many teams don't have a top goalie like Rask and are still winning games.
-How many Clode out there?

With Chara injury, it will be tougher to win games. But they have the horses to win more than they lose if they play like they can. And I think they will.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Losing Chara probably hurts more than any other player but the Bruins are still a team and they have other players who are going to have a say in how good or bad they are without Chara.

I am pretty sure Chiarelli wouldn't have traded Boychuk if he could have seen this coming but he didn't.

Time to see what they have without Chara and Boychuk.

The biggest thing is that they may have to alter their style because Chara isn't there.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
You do realize we are already missing Boychuk, Miller, Iginla and now Chara

This isnt one player...

#1, #2/3, #4 defensemen and #1 RW. Thats a lot for any team to handle. This isn't last year's team minus Chara. Its a lot different.

Sure we are not going to win the President trophy with this current lineup. We were #1 in almost every categories last year. Won't happen either. But this is still a playoffs team. Especially in our weak division.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center

and then they were swept in the playoffs in the 1st round when they lost their hot goalie. what does that tell you? Stud goal scorer < either stud goalie or stud d-man.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Sure we are not going to win the President trophy with this current lineup. We were #1 in almost every categories last year. Won't happen either. But this is still a playoffs team. Especially in our weak division.

our division is not that weak though. We get the Habs who you can basically pencil in for 3 or 4 losses. Detroit is still dangerous. Tampa is solid, and Toronto plays hard against us. And divisional play is less important now when we play every western team twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad