Injury Report: Zajac injured, out 4-6 months.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Last time Zajac got hurt in the off-season, the Devils made the Stanley Cup finals.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/30117234c8dc388b7892a045eacb2457/tumblr_nbndaimytX1r1axvjo1_250.gif

travis-zajac-of-the-new-jersey-devils-celebrates-after-he-scored-the-picture-id143348108

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
If Hall thought we were a playoff team this year he wasn't paying attention. It would of taken a lot to get this team over the hump.

This year is about developing all these kids and getting ready for next season.

Which is why I don't get people freaking out.

We went from 25th worst to probably 29th worst. Not a big deal

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Which is why I don't get people freaking out.

We went from 25th worst to probably 29th worst. Not a big deal

It may not end up being that big of a deal in terms of wins/losses, it just sucks to lose a key player due to a training injury. It also would have been nice to have a guy to take the tough assignments rather than relying on a lesser defensive player like Henrique or a kid to play those minutes. It could force a kid into a role he's not ready for yet.

Of course it's also possible Hischier, Zacha, or McLeod takes the opportunity and runs with it and come January/February when Zajac returns he can be the third line center everybody wants him to be.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It may not end up being that big of a deal in terms of wins/losses, it just sucks to lose a key player due to a training injury. It also would have been nice to have a guy to take the tough assignments rather than relying on a lesser defensive player like Henrique or a kid to play those minutes. It could force a kid into a role he's not ready for yet.

Of course it's also possible Hischier, Zacha, or McLeod takes the opportunity and runs with it and come January/February when Zajac returns he can be the third line center everybody wants him to be.

Adversity breeds opportunity.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yea, Henrique is probably going to get those assignments and minutes and he is going to get eaten alive by the competition.

Nonsense. He plays tremendously in the defensive zone, is a strong two-way player, plays the game the right way and most importantly, always mans his position in the D-zone. There's been many nights where I've been really tempted to give him the tough assignments over Zajac. He's definitely on the ice for fewer goals against than Travis Zajac is. - John Hynes

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Nonsense. He plays tremendously in the defensive zone, is a strong two-way player, plays the game the right way and most importantly, always mans his position in the D-zone. There's been many nights where I've been really tempted to give him the tough assignments over Zajac. He's definitely on the ice for fewer goals against than Travis Zajac is. - John Hynes

lololol.

For real, Henrique struggles against 2nd and 3rd line competition when centering a line, so if their plan is to play Henrique first line center minutes with this injury, that's pretty much embracing the tank. That's throwing out there something you already know is very mediocre just to throw it out.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Dang it, Zajac.... I was looking forward to the BS NHL.com was going to write on the Devils. How they had time to squeeze his injury into every segment just shows me how crappy the other preview was going to be. I am still optimistic about this season. My predictions, McLeod/Quenneville/Speers make it, Nico goes back to juniors.

Merrills Marauders

Jul 20, 2011
New Jersey
Dang it, Zajac.... I was looking forward to the BS NHL.com was going to write on the Devils. How they had time to squeeze his injury into every segment just shows me how crappy the other preview was going to be. I am still optimistic about this season. My predictions, McLeod/Quenneville/Speers make it, Nico goes back to juniors.

Nico would go back to the swiss league before Juniors.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I don't see rookies being thrown into situations they aren't ready for.

Henrique moves from wing to top center which Is fine I don't care how bad defensively he is. It opens up a spot for John q on the wing

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't see rookies being thrown into situations they aren't ready for.

Henrique moves from wing to top center which Is fine I don't care how bad defensively he is. It opens up a spot for John q on the wing

If we assume Henrique, Johansson, Hall, and Palmieri are our current top nine forwards, we are bound to have two lines of at least 2 kids on them in the top-nine now. We would be banking on a few of the kids to step into the line-up and be everyday NHL players from the get go and possibly carry their own line.

Without Zajac, we really lack the ability to shelter any of the kids. Henrique moving up to the first line means there would be a second line with two young players and Johansson AND an all kid line on the third line.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

I'd wager theres like 5% chance that Nico is not on the Devils. Especially after this news.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Zajac or not, I got the impression that there's a spot somewhere in the lineup for Nico that is his to lose. Losing Zajac for a few months means some rethinking is in order and it likely changes our game plan, but it doesn't necessarily change everything.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

:laugh: :laugh:

I started thinking of my response to this, until I realized you channeling Hynes.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I don't think this is as far fetched as some want to think.

I don't necessarily think it is either. I think now you can mess with line combos too. For example Hall is more of a creater so maybe pair him with Zacha who has the ability to finish. Kinda like maybe using Hischier with Palmieri who can finish what Hischier creates.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
lololol.

For real, Henrique struggles against 2nd and 3rd line competition when centering a line, so if their plan is to play Henrique first line center minutes with this injury, that's pretty much embracing the tank. That's throwing out there something you already know is very mediocre just to throw it out.

There's not going to be many options. Playing Henrique near 20 minutes is something they already do. I don't think Johansson is a better option than Henrique.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Full on youth movement. Nico makes the team, McLeod makes the team, let's go. No defensemen this year, 18 forwards. Schindler develops a drinking problem by Thanksgiving.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It's without question a devastating loss for all that Trav does for us. But it's going to be really exciting to see who steps up to try and fill those shoes. I would love nothing more than for Nico to show his capabilities early on, but between him, Rico, Mojo, Zacha, McLeod, Boyle and JQ we have plenty of options to alternate in.

It may not be an easy season again, but there's definitely more of a reason to watch.

Last edited:

Merrills Marauders

Jul 20, 2011
New Jersey
It's without question a devastating loss for all that Trav does for us. But it's going to be really exciting to see who steps up to try and fill those shoes. I would love nothing more than for Nico to show his capabilities early on, but between him, Rico, Mojo, Zacha, McLeod, Boyle and JQ we have plenty of options to alternate in.

It may not be an easy season again, but there's definitely more of a reason to watch.

i wouldn't say more of a reason; this board is going to be bored with watching losing hockey by Christmas (or even Thanksgiving). I want to see the kids play (and hopefully show up) as much as anyone but help us all if McLeod gets sent back and/or Nico goes back to Switzerland.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
i wouldn't say more of a reason; this board is going to be bored with watching losing hockey by Christmas (or even Thanksgiving). I want to see the kids play (and hopefully show up) as much as anyone but help us all if McLeod gets sent back and/or Nico goes back to Switzerland.

Of course, but the young guys are going to keep things more interesting over the course of the season assuming they are here. The board will be the same as it usually is, but hopefully this will keep things slightly more peaceful for longer. :laugh:

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Nico would go back to the swiss league before Juniors.

Nah he wouldn't. He was a full transfer from Bern to Halifax. He's Halifax's property with the CHL/NHL rules, he'd go back there. He was a CHL draftee. If he had been a loaned player to Halifax and a Europe draftee, he'd be AHL eligible or would go back to Bern. He's done with Bern.

And I'd put the chance of him not being in Newark all season at less than 5% and that would mean he's just awful or totally in over his head, which he won't be. He was arguably the best player in development camp, which doesn't account for much, but considering we're talking filling slots with young guys, any predictions of him not being in Newark are silly IMO.

Merrills Marauders

Jul 20, 2011
New Jersey
Nah he wouldn't. He was a full transfer from Bern to Halifax. He's Halifax's property with the CHL/NHL rules, he'd go back there. He was a CHL draftee. If he had been a loaned player to Halifax and a Europe draftee, he'd be AHL eligible or would go back to Bern. He's done with Bern.

https://swisshockeynews.ch/index.ph...-hischier-could-return-to-sc-bern-next-season

I've also read from multiple tweets that alludes to it is basically NHL or men's swiss league, unless that has been disproven. I agree Nico should and likely will be up; however if he's not then back to juniors does not make much sense.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
https://swisshockeynews.ch/index.ph...-hischier-could-return-to-sc-bern-next-season

I've also read from multiple tweets that alludes to it is basically NHL or men's swiss league, unless that has been disproven. I agree Nico should and likely will be up; however if he's not then back to juniors does not make much sense.

I've read that its Halifax or the Devils. I can't see us sending him to Switzerland, which we probably could do since we own his rights, but I dont know what the CHL rules are in that respect since Halifax owns his rights if he doesnt make his NHL team. Bern doesn't since he was a full transfer to the Q. That link is also 4 months ago.

He was not a loanee to Halifax and that matters in respect to the up/down rules due to his age.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
This season should be more watchable because it will be somewhat tough for things to get worse than last season which was among the worst in franchise history. First time in exactly 30 years we didn't win 30 games and was 6th worst season we've had.

2016 was a step in the right direction so coming into the 2017 season, expectations were to build off of that, taking a step in the right direction and we got the opposite which is why things became even more frustrating and tougher to watch. This season, there are essentially no expectations and this injury further puts that notion into play and will make things easier to take in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad