Injury Report: Zajac injured, out 4-6 months.

Holtz My Bahls

Jan 5, 2011
New Jersey
This season should be more watchable because it will be somewhat tough for things to get worse than last season which was among the worst in franchise history. First time in exactly 30 years we didn't win 30 games and was 6th worst season we've had.

2016 was a step in the right direction so coming into the 2017 season, expectations were to build off of that, taking a step in the right direction and we got the opposite which is why things became even more frustrating and tougher to watch. This season, there are essentially no expectations and this injury further puts that notion into play and will make things easier to take in.

We can say this now, but this board is going to be nuclear level bad by November. :laugh:

Merrills Marauders

Jul 20, 2011
New Jersey
If you can't get excited to watch the literal future of the team, idk what to tell you

This to me is an oversimplification; every poster is excited about the future and watching the kids develop. But no one wants to see a bunch of 18/19 year old kids getting shelled night in night out and losing confidence or developing poorly. Sure, if they're ready they're ready.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If you can't get excited to watch the literal future of the team, idk what to tell you

I'm pretty excited to see Hischier this season.

I am looking forward to seeing the progression of Zacha, Quenneville, Santini, Wood, Blandisi and even Severson...But I wouldn't necessarily classified that as excitement...I'm actually somewhat nervous about it to be honest...So much is riding on some of these players taking big steps sooner rather than later.

Not sure if Mcleod will be here or not? That will be interesting to see...I am very interested to see what Bastian does next season. I would really like to see him have a season in Binghamton like Quenneville had in Albany last year. Same for Speers unless he is here of course.

I'm really interested in seeing Blackwood this season in Binghamton...That'll be interesting..Would love to see Blackwood push out Cory sometime in the future.

There is a lot that can happen this season...If more goes right than not It'll be fun to watch.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
This to me is an oversimplification; every poster is excited about the future and watching the kids develop. But no one wants to see a bunch of 18/19 year old kids getting shelled night in night out and losing confidence or developing poorly. Sure, if they're ready they're ready.

That's the thing, some are assuming we are going to be awful, and we might be, but I don't rule out guys like Zacha, Nico Santini, playing really well and perhaps we win more games then people expect. Not to mention we added Mojo.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
That's the thing, some are assuming we are going to be awful, and we might be, but I don't rule out guys like Zacha, Nico Santini, playing really well and perhaps we win more games then people expect. Not to mention we added Mojo.

If we are not better next season that doesn't bode well for the future...Sure some of these kids will get better but for some of them like Zacha and Severson it's time to take a step forward...

There should be a massive infusion of talent with Hischier... Then Quenneville, Speers seems like the dependable types that can handle bottom 6 duties relatively quickly.

Blandisi needs to make the most of opportunities this season too. If he doesn't he'll get lost in the shuffle quickly.

There is a lot here but it is "show me" time.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

Build and improve off of last year. That goes for individual players and of course the team as a whole. Otherwise there really aren't other expectations to be had going into the season. Very similar to the Yankees of late. 2015 they surprised and snuck into the final wild card spot with a so-so team. 2016 they took a step backwards. 2017 with a young set of guys coming in to full time roles, there weren't many expectations coming into the season as it was a see what you got scenario. They've shattered expectations to start what is hopefully a new wave. We are where the Yankees were prior to this season in that sense. Potential is there, but still very much in believe it when we see it mode.

If some of the young guys and rookies struggle can't be too upset and if they succeed, excellent, things have begun going according to plan.

DevilDog

The Original Dog
Mar 2, 2007
Dirty Jerz
Can someone please tell Travis to lay off and enjoy himself in the offseason? This is the 2nd major injury he's suffered training during the summer.

We appreciate the effort but he seems to be going overboard.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
There's actually more than a little bit of optimism in me - if only because Zajac's injury basically moves an excellent 3rd-line center off of Hall's line and gives Rico, Zacha, Nico, or someone else an opportunity and a chance that maybe we see some chemistry.

Let's not kid ourselves - With the exception of an exceptional backcheck in OT and a significant amount of other times when Zajac saved our teams' bacon defensively...

It isn't like he was setting Hall up. So - the only plus is that maybe Hall finds someone he can play with, and when Trav comes back, he comes back to the 3rd line center role - one which he can excel in.

I think the biggest worry is that we'll never be able to control the puck long enough to start a rush or get it out of our zone with Travis out.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I'd love to see Zacha center Hall.

As would I. They rarely played together last season but when they did I loved watching them. Zacha was one of the few that could keep up with Hall. In little dream scenario Zacha takes on more of a shooting role as Hall's center and the two of them have great chemistry. Maybe even have MoJo on the first line with them so Palmieri can play with Nico. It'll be really tough not having Trav but the two young guys I'm most excited for this season, Zacha and Nico, could really grab the reins in his absence.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I'm pretty excited to see Hischier this season.

I am looking forward to seeing the progression of Zacha, Quenneville, Santini, Wood, Blandisi and even Severson...But I wouldn't necessarily classified that as excitement...I'm actually somewhat nervous about it to be honest...So much is riding on some of these players taking big steps sooner rather than later.

Not sure if Mcleod will be here or not? That will be interesting to see...I am very interested to see what Bastian does next season. I would really like to see him have a season in Binghamton like Quenneville had in Albany last year. Same for Speers unless he is here of course.

I'm really interested in seeing Blackwood this season in Binghamton...That'll be interesting..Would love to see Blackwood push out Cory sometime in the future.

There is a lot that can happen this season...If more goes right than not It'll be fun to watch.

I know exactly what you mean. Particularly with Zacha, Severson and Santini. If those guys don't hit close to their potential it would be a huge blow to the rebuild. If we end up with less than a 3 W, a 2 D and a 4 D out of those three the team may never reach contender status.

Q'ville, Wood and Blandisi are also important because they represent future depth forwards, and possibly future trade bait for an elite defender. Both are crucial for a contender.

IMO any NHL success we get out of McLeod or Speers this year is icing on the cake, though. Those kids don't need to be ready this year. If they are, awesome. If not, no big deal.

Seeing Blackwood dominate the AHL would also be fantastic. I definitely think he has the potential.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
The way Blackwood played at the end of the season gave me hope that he was finding a groove and ready to make the next step in his pro career and keep going with it. Especially the way he played in the playoffs, specifically the last playoff game.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
There are many Travis haters primarily because of lack of production and his salary and terms.
This loss should get them to appreciate how value he really is to this team. I am really hoping the young players step up during his absence.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

i agree not that an injury to your most seasoned forward is a good thing, but it will certainly give the organization a look at its forward depth.

it happens to be the one position that the organization has perceived depth if your looking for a silver lining.

and just maybe the team can stay afloat and then all of a sudden you get your all around best forward back mid season. could be a boost right when needed.

or they could be a disaster .. whatever.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
There are many Travis haters primarily because of lack of production and his salary and terms.
This loss should get them to appreciate how value he really is to this team. I am really hoping the young players step up during his absence.

they will have to turn it into a positive somehow.. if you are going to be a playoff team you have to have the ability to sustain injuries... so theres that.. this is a big one.. but the team can still roll out a decent set of centerman.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I had no expectations heading into the season and with this injury, it just confirms we'll be picking in the top #5 and I couldn't be happier. There's a boat load of talent in this years draft, especially on defense, and adding a couple of bluechip dmen will definitely help out balance our prospect pool.

Watching our youngsters like Hischier, Zacha, Santini, Severson, Quenneville and Mueller will be the highlight of my season. I just hope we don't rush McLeod because of Zajac's injury.

I'm not pushing for it but I wouldn't be mad if Shero entertained the idea of possibly moving Schneider. He's a great goaltender but we're just wasting a very solid asset on a bottom feeding club. If there's a package out there that will have Shero thinking, I hope he pulls the trigger.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
The way Blackwood played at the end of the season gave me hope that he was finding a groove and ready to make the next step in his pro career and keep going with it. Especially the way he played in the playoffs, specifically the last playoff game.

He was fantastic by the time the Playoffs started (and that's even including the really bad game he had). I'm almost positive the ECHL affiliation with Adirondack was so we could figure out our goaltending carousel a little bit more. I have high hopes for Blackwood next year in Binghamton.

In an interview, Paul Castron said (specifically about Evan Cormier but it applies to all goalies) that the most important thing for a young, developing goalie is that he gets as many starts as possible. I am hoping Blackwood really runs away with the AHL starting job this year.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I had no expectations heading into the season and with this injury, it just confirms we'll be picking in the top #5 and I couldn't be happier. There's a boat load of talent in this years draft, especially on defense, and adding a couple of bluechip dmen will definitely help out balance our prospect pool.

Watching our youngsters like Hischier, Zacha, Santini, Severson, Quenneville and Mueller will be the highlight of my season. I just hope we don't rush McLeod because of Zajac's injury.

I'm not pushing for it but I wouldn't be mad if Shero entertained the idea of possibly moving Schneider. He's a great goaltender but we're just wasting a very solid asset on a bottom feeding club. If there's a package out there that will have Shero thinking, I hope he pulls the trigger.

If you go that route then you probably have to accept a step back for two more years before Blackwood is ready. A criticism of last year's team was a subpar year between the pipes for Schneider. Blackwood isn't ready yet and any other goalie who replaces him will be no better than last year's goalies most likely. Plus you send a message to the vets that you don't see a turnaround in the near term. At that point you might as well trade Hall. You probably have to trade MarJo as well. Maybe Henrique stays since he seems to like the area. I understand your point and it isn't crazy but it does change the team's current direction. Maybe trading Schneider to a contender for an NHL ready goalie prospect would work but you have to hope the younger goalie plays at a high level right away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad