Injury Report: Zajac injured, out 4-6 months.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If you go that route then you probably have to accept a step back for two more years before Blackwood is ready. A criticism of last year's team was a subpar year between the pipes for Schneider. Blackwood isn't ready yet and any other goalie who replaces him will be no better than last year's goalies most likely. Plus you send a message to the vets that you don't see a turnaround in the near term. At that point you might as well trade Hall. You probably have to trade MarJo as well. Maybe Henrique stays since he seems to like the area. I understand your point and it isn't crazy but it does change the team's current direction. Maybe trading Schneider to a contender for an NHL ready goalie prospect would work but you have to hope the younger goalie plays at a high level right away.

At least Johanssen isn't jaded from missing the playoffs every year the way Hall is but yeah the competitiveness of the team could be a factor in re-signing him too.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
At least Johanssen isn't jaded from missing the playoffs every year the way Hall is but yeah the competitiveness of the team could be a factor in re-signing him too.

i think NJ will have to overpay a bit to sign almost any in demand veteran while the team is rebuilding. Hopefully MarJo plays an important role this year and enjoys the area and his new teammates.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It is going to take a crazy big contract to keep Hall, but I think as long as we get to the playoffs by his contract year with a clear upward tracjetory we can convince him to stay with the big money and extra year.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Hall has two more seasons after this one under contract. The team will be not the same by then and even if they don't believe they could re-sign him they will still be able to trade him. If the Devils don't have the pieces to be at least a playoff team by the time his contract is up then that would be whole other problem. I can't get worried about things happening three years from now -- three years ago the Devils didn't have Hall or Hischier who knows what the next three could bring. Even two months ago we didn't know they would get Johansson.

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think we have until the summer of 2019 to convince Hall to stay, and if it doesn't sound like he wants to stay, deal him before going into the final year of his contract. But let's cross that bridge when we get there. Who knows what happens between now and then.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think we have until the summer of 2019 to convince Hall to stay, and if it doesn't sound like he wants to stay, deal him before going into the final year of his contract. But let's cross that bridge when we get there. Who knows what happens between now and then.

I think we can go even later if we are a playoff team his contract year. Legit. Not by a fluke of course.

It isn't fun and he will be cranky, but if he can get his point totals back up and develop chemistry with one of the kids I think he will be a bit patient.

I think he understands we aren't standing pat like the Oilers did for years until McDavid fell in their lap. Shero is adding pieces constantly.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I think we can go even later if we are a playoff team his contract year. Legit. Not by a fluke of course.

It isn't fun and he will be cranky, but if he can get his point totals back up and develop chemistry with one of the kids I think he will be a bit patient.

I think he understands we aren't standing pat like the Oilers did for years until McDavid fell in their lap. Shero is adding pieces constantly.

The Oilers tried to add pieces as well but it just didn't click. I'm 110% certain that if we don't make the postseason in the next 2 years, he'll either demand a trade or just sign wherever he wants at the end of his term. With the loss of Zajac and all the youth we'll have in our lineup this year, I'm basically writing this season off.

If that's the case, we should really consider moving Schneider and Hall. Showing both players that we're moving in the right direction isn't going to cut it, we need results in order for them to stay, and I don't see how we'll get there when playing in the toughest division.

We're stockpiling some very nice talent up front and both players can land us solid packages. The Jets should be a prime candidate for someone like Schneider and as for Hall, Shero will get offers left and right if he's made available.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The Oilers tried to add pieces as well but it just didn't click. I'm 110% certain that if we don't make the postseason in the next 2 years, he'll either demand a trade or just sign wherever he wants at the end of his term. With the loss of Zajac and all the youth we'll have in our lineup this year, I'm basically writing this season off.

If that's the case, we should really consider moving Schneider and Hall. Showing both players that we're moving in the right direction isn't going to cut it, we need results in order for them to stay, and I don't see how we'll get there when playing in the toughest division.

We're stockpiling some very nice talent up front and both players can land us solid packages. The Jets should be a prime candidate for someone like Schneider and as for Hall, Shero will get offers left and right if he's made available.

Taylor Hall should be more qualified than just about any player to assess how a rebuild is going, since he's already been through an extended one himself. If the team's showing progress towards winning, he's happy in New Jersey off the ice, and the team makes him a good offer, I don't see why he wouldn't stay. New Jersey is also going to destroy his value to other teams - Edmonton already did by being terrible around him, and then he came here and had a not-great season, and I expect similar numbers next year.

Trading Hall makes no sense whatsoever. If they have to dump him off a year before he turns free agent, fine, but it makes zero sense to consider trading him at this point.

Cory Schneider has a no-trade clause and Winnipeg consistently ranks among the least popular places to play in anonymous surveys. Try again.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Taylor Hall should be more qualified than just about any player to assess how a rebuild is going, since he's already been through an extended one himself. If the team's showing progress towards winning, he's happy in New Jersey off the ice, and the team makes him a good offer, I don't see why he wouldn't stay. New Jersey is also going to destroy his value to other teams - Edmonton already did by being terrible around him, and then he came here and had a not-great season, and I expect similar numbers next year.

Trading Hall makes no sense whatsoever. If they have to dump him off a year before he turns free agent, fine, but it makes zero sense to consider trading him at this point.

Cory Schneider has a no-trade clause and Winnipeg consistently ranks among the least popular places to play in anonymous surveys. Try again.

Didn't know you had all the answers right there in your back pocket! Next time I'll just send you a PM to have more inside knowledge on how both Hall and Schneider are feeling halfway through another season of mediocrity.

I doubt someone would rather stay in NJ and play on a bottom feeder for the reminder of his prime years instead of going on a promising team, like the Jets for example, but hey what do I know. Having a no trade clause is basically to assure that he won't be moved to another bottom feader, since he can veto a trade he doesn't like. I'm not saying that the Jets are a prime destination, just saying that they're a legit goaltender away from making real noise in the West.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Didn't know you had all the answers right there in your back pocket! Next time I'll just send you a PM to have more inside knowledge on how both Hall and Schneider are feeling halfway through another season of mediocrity.

You're the one claiming to have the answers - regarding Hall, I used the word 'if' and presented three conditionals, all or none of which may or may not be true.

I doubt someone would rather stay in NJ and play on a bottom feeder for the reminder of his prime years instead of going on a promising team, like the Jets for example, but hey what do I know. Having a no trade clause is basically to assure that he won't be moved to another bottom feader, since he can veto a trade he doesn't like. I'm not saying that the Jets are a prime destination, just saying that they're a legit goaltender away from making real noise in the West.

What do you know is right. Is Cory Schneider married? Yes. Does his wife want to live in Winnipeg? I don't know the answer to that. Does he want to live in Winnipeg? Again, I don't know. He has a 2 year old son, do they want to raise him in Winnipeg? These are legitimate questions - a player spends a lot more time away from the rink than on it, so these things matter as much if not more than 'Is the team good?' to some players.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We are a promising team though. People really need to learn a little patience. Forget the final Lou years. Lou wasn't rebuilding.

Shero is and he is doing it right and I think the major vets understand this.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Besides the two big injuries, the guy has managed to stay remarkably healthy. Just needs to be more careful in offseason training or something. :laugh:

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
While this year is probably a wash now, I think next year could be really good. I'm expecting big seasons from Severson, Zacha, Santini and Hischier. Those guys should end up coming into '18 - '19 as established core players. They're all right on the cusp, IMO.

A push for the playoffs next year is a good possibility. We'll likely be adding McLeod, Rykov, Speers and maybe our '18 1st rounder next year, as well.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
While this year is probably a wash now, I think next year could be really good. I'm expecting big seasons from Severson, Zacha, Santini and Hischier. Those guys should end up coming into '18 - '19 as established core players. They're all right on the cusp, IMO.

A push for the playoffs next year is a good possibility. We'll likely be adding McLeod, Rykov, Speers and maybe our '18 1st rounder next year, as well.

A wash? They have center depth. McLeod and sowers have a really good chance this year to make team.
You should at least let them play the games. Nothing is won or lost on paper ... nobody knows how hisxiwr McLeod Dantonio mueller etc etc will develop or play. Yes things will have to break right but we likely have 3 first rounders coming into the picture in prominent roles this. Year don't write anything off because we have an injury.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
A wash? They have center depth. McLeod and sowers have a really good chance this year to make team.
You should at least let them play the games. Nothing is won or lost on paper ... nobody knows how hisxiwr McLeod Dantonio mueller etc etc will develop or play. Yes things will have to break right but we likely have 3 first rounders coming into the picture in prominent roles this. Year don't write anything off because we have an injury.

I mean, we "earned" the 5th overall pick last year, we haven't fixed our biggest problem area (defense), and we just lost our top center for 4 to 6 months. I think we can make a lot of progress this year, but I don't expect us to seriously compete for the playoffs.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007

Man, they're gonna be a bottom 5 team baring Schneider heroics. Prepare yourself.

And it's fine because it will still be entertaining watching the future develop.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We were going to be bad with Zajac. Maybe less fun too because Nico or Zacha can't do much with limited minutes on a third line.

Our team is insanely young. Young kids make bad mistakes and the otter kids aren't experienced enough to cover those mistakes. We don't have enough vets to cover those mistakes.

We will have some games where the kids just take over. Pot like 7 goals combined and it looks amazing. We will have more games where kids misplace passes that lead to goals against that cost us.

This is just the nature of development.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Without Zajac, we only have 4 players projected to be in our lineup who are 30 or older....Boyle, Greene, Schneider and Lovejoy

thats kinda crazy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad