07: Sam Ganger
06: Derick Brassard
05: Gilbert Brule
04: Al Montoya
03: Milan Michalek
02: Scottie Upshall
01: Mikko Koivu
00: Scott Hartnell

I mean, take your pick. I see three elite level players in there. And then a lot of good to quite bad. Assuming Tatar!Zadina, he's still one of the better 6OA picks in the last good while here.

Just curious as to why you omitted Matthew Tkachuk at #6 in 2016? With Monahan and Tkachuk both taken at 6 in their respective drafts, Calgary has made some solid picks at 6.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
an opinion based on an entire junior career vs an opinion based on a handful of games at the next level

overall I think people just need to chill and let the kid learn, he's 18
You can have a critical opinion of him based on his AHL AND his entire Junior career.

Of course no one knows and we have to wait it see, but it's frustrating that anyone with a slightly negative opinion is being attacked for jumping the gun, even though the positive people are going way further with their proclamations and doing it way earlier.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
You can have a critical opinion of him based on his AHL AND his entire Junior career.

Of course no one knows and we have to wait it see, but it's frustrating that anyone with a slightly negative opinion is being attacked for jumping the gun, even though the positive people are going way further with their proclamations and doing it way earlier.

I mean, it's less about positive and negative and more saying what it is. Zadina right now isn't ready to be an NHL player. That has nothing to do with the ceiling that he had on draft night. There has been nothing in his game that is impugning his ceiling or should be making you think something different. If you liked the pick at the draft, you should like it now. If they weren't already taking up Rasmussen, Sulak, Cholo, Hronek, etc. Zadina probably makes the roster. If he was a C like Ehn, he definitely makes the roster.

It's kind of like how a stock like Apple will take a beating for a bad earnings quarter. They'll shave off 10-20% of their value, but the fundamentals that make it a blue chip stock are still there. I think that Zadina is still the 40 goal future guy to be and I'm not remotely worried about him needing time to adjust to the league.

It's more frustrating to read, ad infintum, people ****ing about the fact that we didn't take Evan Bouchard or Noah Dobson or whoever. That how on Earth could we take a WING of all things when we need a defenseman.
And really, the bigger thing is the contingent of guys who want Zadina up on the Wings for good when he's done nothing to show that he deserves it right at this second. That it somehow is some tragic miscarriage of justice that Wade Megan gets a game or two and poor Filip Zadina gets to work on his game in Grand Rapids.

I mean, this would be like complaining that your hot shot startup company that has great backing and a solid fundamental business plan hasn't turned a profit in its first month of business. Like I said, give it till January. If Zadina is still laboring and looking unimpressive by then, I'll join you on the criticism tour. But I don't know how you can see roughly three total weeks of hockey and draw many negative conclusions about a guy who just moved up big time in league skill.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Critical is fine, but we could all use a little optimism during the rebuild. Don't forget that he's an elite talent who put up 82 points in 57 games last year.

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
LOL wut?!? Ryan Leaf wasn't a first overall pick.

Okay fine. In order to be labeled Ryan Leaf..Zadina had to be drafted SECOND overall. Calling him a bust in just 8 games of the season is the "LOL wut?!?" statement. And for God sakes and hope of mankind..that you're not an adult talking childish lingo such as "LOL wut".

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Okay fine. In order to be labeled Ryan Leaf..Zadina had to be drafted SECOND overall. Calling him a bust in just 8 games of the season is the "LOL wut?!?" statement. And for God sakes and hope of mankind..that you're not an adult talking childish lingo such as "LOL wut".
In all fairness, your grammar is equally as childish so I wouldn't be throwing insults around and stick to the subject at hand.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
No, not so much. But way to stick up for your buddy.

He wasn't sticking up for anyone. He was just saying that tossing around insults isn't a good look on you. Disagree with other people. That's awesome, we like to be intelligent and have discussions, but like any kind of debate, you gotta have something to your points and focus on your own argument. MOD but generally it is bad form to attack the other person and not their argument.

It makes for a much better discussion if we say "Zadina is a fabulous player, but his time isn't now" rather than "BRING HIM UP!" or "BUST!" People tend to forget that in the current climate we are in... but we get a lot more out of discussions and debates if you support your side and try to understand the other guy's side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Larkin1578

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Give it some time and give each other a break a little bit.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Best oxymoron posted in awhile.

" I'm not worried about him scoring, he just basically needs to learn how to play. " "He's doing fine, as a -9 and out of place as a top 6 forward so far, lol. Oh ok bro. Tomas Jurco/ Pulkenin were really good in the AHL and Zadina can't find space, sorry if I'm slightly alarmed even if it is early.

Only credible argument given back to me was... Patience man! patience. Nothing Zadina is doing is " fine " so far.

I can confirm (as I am an AHL.tv subscriber) he is, in fact, doing fine. Much improvement since his first few AHL games. The goals will come.

He is, however, not going to be the saviour of this franchise. But I have no doubt he will be a piece of the puzzle in the near future (or [far future] if you're a glass half empty person).

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I mean, it's less about positive and negative and more saying what it is. Zadina right now isn't ready to be an NHL player. That has nothing to do with the ceiling that he had on draft night. There has been nothing in his game that is impugning his ceiling or should be making you think something different. If you liked the pick at the draft, you should like it now. If they weren't already taking up Rasmussen, Sulak, Cholo, Hronek, etc. Zadina probably makes the roster. If he was a C like Ehn, he definitely makes the roster.

It's kind of like how a stock like Apple will take a beating for a bad earnings quarter. They'll shave off 10-20% of their value, but the fundamentals that make it a blue chip stock are still there. I think that Zadina is still the 40 goal future guy to be and I'm not remotely worried about him needing time to adjust to the league.

It's more frustrating to read, ad infintum, people ****ing about the fact that we didn't take Evan Bouchard or Noah Dobson or whoever. That how on Earth could we take a WING of all things when we need a defenseman.
And really, the bigger thing is the contingent of guys who want Zadina up on the Wings for good when he's done nothing to show that he deserves it right at this second. That it somehow is some tragic miscarriage of justice that Wade Megan gets a game or two and poor Filip Zadina gets to work on his game in Grand Rapids.

I mean, this would be like complaining that your hot shot startup company that has great backing and a solid fundamental business plan hasn't turned a profit in its first month of business. Like I said, give it till January. If Zadina is still laboring and looking unimpressive by then, I'll join you on the criticism tour. But I don't know how you can see roughly three total weeks of hockey and draw many negative conclusions about a guy who just moved up big time in league skill.

I think it is also fair to point out some of us had these concerns before he was ever our pick. I root for our guys, but don't try to pretend with me that my opinion on Dobson or Hughes would be hindsight for instance. My exact statement when we drafted Zadina to my shame in front of family was ****. I thought for sure Quinn Hughes was our pick especially when McGuire and Bobby Mac basically said as much while Wings brass was walking up. Just what I said when the pick was made. I hope to be wrong, I am a fan of Zadina and what I hope he can bring. But it isn't cherry picking, I like Dobson and Hughes more than Zadina before the Wings walked to the podium and said as much around here a lot.

He is a goal scorer. the real question is he a mid 20's, 30's or 40's goal scorer? The Wings scouts believe he is a 40 goal scorer. I disagree, but man I hope he is. He has a lot of ability, hopefully he knocks his development out of the park.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I think it is also fair to point out some of us had these concerns before he was ever our pick. I root for our guys, but don't try to pretend with me that my opinion on Dobson or Hughes would be hindsight for instance. My exact statement when we drafted Zadina to my shame in front of family was ****. I thought for sure Quinn Hughes was our pick especially when McGuire and Bobby Mac basically said as much while Wings brass was walking up. Just what I said when the pick was made. I hope to be wrong, I am a fan of Zadina and what I hope he can bring. But it isn't cherry picking, I like Dobson and Hughes more than Zadina before the Wings walked to the podium and said as much around here a lot.

He is a goal scorer. the real question is he a mid 20's, 30's or 40's goal scorer? The Wings scouts believe he is a 40 goal scorer. I disagree, but man I hope he is. He has a lot of ability, hopefully he knocks his development out of the park.

The leading goal scorer in the AHL last season only had 33. There were only six 30+ goal scorers in the entire league last season. It's a tough league to score in. For Zadina, I think a good number to shoot for this season is 20 goals.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think it is also fair to point out some of us had these concerns before he was ever our pick. I root for our guys, but don't try to pretend with me that my opinion on Dobson or Hughes would be hindsight for instance. My exact statement when we drafted Zadina to my shame in front of family was ****. What I said when the pick was made. I hope to be wrong, I am a fan of Zadina and what I hope I can bring. But it isn't cherry picking, I like Dobson and Hughes more than Zadina before the Wings walked to the podium and said as much around here a lot.

I respect that a lot. I think (ideally) you should have your own opinion on them prior to being DRW property if you can manage. It helps you be a little more objective if possible.

I was how you are with Zadina with Rasmussen last year. I think I had him at either #19 or 20 on my board before the draft happened. Clearly wasn’t the guy I was hoping for.

I don’t see the upside to Rasmussen you do, but I’d rather have you be right than me at the end of the day. I think having an opinion on prospects is fine. I think people are a little too scared of putting themself out there and being wrong, personally. Having your own opinion can make for really good conversartons if you keep it respectful. Even if you are wrong that’s ok, even the pro’s get it wrong, just like life it’s how you learn.

Sorry for the ramble- I just have really come to enjoy following prospects, it’s one of my favorite hobbies... and despite the crap this website gets, I’ve had some truly fascinating discussions on here regarding prospects and picked up a ton of useful info along the way.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The leading goal scorer in the AHL last season only had 33. There were only six 30+ goal scorers in the entire league last season. It's a tough league to score in. For Zadina, I think a good number to shoot for this season is 20 goals.

I didn't expect higher than that but mostly because I do and for the record I still do despite the tough start expect Zadina to spend some time up in the NHL this year. I was hopeful he could do what Pasta did, I honestly was. I don't think we are near as good as that Providence team so that will impact this. But I expect top 10 talents to dominate the AHL when they get there at any age. I have seen a lot of AHL hockey over the years, they struggle with guys with that ability at 19 and 20 when they show up. Also, a part of the reasoning on Zadina was he was almost NHL ready, it was a part of what made him appealing to a lot of teams and I had pause with the scouts that believed that.

Still, I don't want to be overly harsh. So much of Zadina is to be determined and I think he could be a fantastic player. He will be a Red Wing at some point, I am not worried about that. He will adjust, I also like how much the older Wings liked him in the pre-season and I haven't forgot that. But he isn't dancing guys at the AHL level and frankly is lucky not to have been hurt a couple times in the opening to the season. His off-season is going to be important, needs another step in his skating and to get more physical in terms of puck battles in my opinion.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I respect that a lot. I think (ideally) you should have your own opinion on them prior to being DRW property if you can manage. It helps you be a little more objective if possible.

I was how you are with Zadina with Rasmussen last year. I think I had him at either #19 or 20 on my board before the draft happened. Clearly wasn’t the guy I was hoping for.

I don’t see the upside to Rasmussen you do, but I’d rather have you be right than me at the end of the day. I think having an opinion on prospects is fine. I think people are a little too scared of putting themself out there and being wrong, personally. Having your own opinion can make for really good conversartons if you keep it respectful. Even if you are wrong that’s ok, even the pro’s get it wrong, just like life it’s how you learn.

Sorry for the ramble- I just have really come to enjoy following prospects, it’s one of my favorite hobbies... and despite the crap this website gets, I’ve had some truly fascinating discussions on here regarding prospects and picked up a ton of useful info along the way.

It is why I joined here... I think sometimes that is important to remember especially when some of us become Mods or whatever else. I joined here because I love the Wings and this is by far the best message board to talk about prospects in my opinion. Matthew Wuest (RIP) had me covered on the Wings but I do like talking other teams and large amounts of prospects. This is honestly what I like the most as I have grown more and more into hockey. In no small part it is fun to say hey this guy has something that will translate and maybe it does.

Hey I loved Tvrdon and Brendan Smith a lot, those are two tough ones and everyone knows where I stood on those two. But it is fun to have the opinion going in and I encourage those with the time and energy to try.

I always try to be respectful though and I always root for anyone in the Red Wings organization. To be clear I still had Zadina high, higher than you had Ras, just he was at the bottom of the elite list for me. He had elite abilities, I totally see that, but can he put it together? I just saw him as a high 20's low 30's guy in terms of consistency. Maybe he peaks a couple times near contracts in the high 30's when guys lock it in every night. But that is what I saw. Hey that is a good hockey player for the record so when I seem to be being critical of Zadina, I see him as a part of hopefully a bright future. But to me he is complementary like Cholowski and Rasmussen. Guys I like a great deal and pack punch in terms of what they bring. We need a lot of help, hopefully all of these guys are answers along with our top pick this year and Larkin.

I always disclaim with Ras that I had Necas ahead of him. I really was sold when I had the WHL ticket and he came of injury last year though. He is a smart player with lots of hockey IQ to go along with those physical gifts. I think he could really become something big time in this league. He is an offensive weapon that there honestly might not be much of an answer for in terms of other teams if he does put it together.

Last edited:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
But I expect top 10 talents to dominate the AHL when they get there at any age.

Going from junior hockey to the AHL is a big jump. I'm pretty sure he's the youngest player in the league. Would you feel better if Zadina was back in Halifax scoring 50 goals?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It is why I joined here... I think sometimes that is important to remember especially when some of us become Mods or whatever else. I joined here because I love the Wings and this is by far the best message board to talk about prospects in my opinion. Matthew Wuest (RIP) had me covered on the Wings but I do like talking other teams and large amounts of prospects. This is honestly what I like the most as I have grown more and more into hockey. In no small part it is fun to say hey this guy has something that will translate and maybe it does.

Hey I loved Tvrdon and Brendan Smith a lot, those are two tough ones and everyone knows where I stood on those two. But it is fun to have the opinion going in and I encourage those with the time and energy to try.

I always try to be respectful though and I always root for anyone in the Red Wings organization. To be clear I still had Zadina high, just he was at the bottom of the elite list for me. He had elite abilities, I totally see that, but can he put it together? I just saw him as a high 20's low 30's guy in terms of consistency. Maybe he peaks a couple times near contracts in the high 30's when guys lock it in every night. But that is what I saw. Hey that is a good hockey player for the record so when I seem to be being critical of Zadina, I see him as a part of hopefully a bright future. But to me he is complementary like Cholowski and Rasmussen. Guys I like a great deal and pack punch in terms of what they bring. We need a lot of help, hopefully all of these guys are answers along with our top pick this year and Larkin.

You could well be right. I personally think he can be more than a complementary guy, but it’s very much up in the air still.

I think it’s going to depend on if he gains a step or so in his skating and if he can speed up the pace at how he processes plays.

But for me, he has the things you can’t teach. He’s creative. He’s slippery. He has a hell of a shot. He has that skill set that some of the high scoring wingers have in the league when I have watched him, and I have seen him a good amount.

It will come down to a matter of where does his skating end up at and will his stickhandling translate up against better defenseman. Personally I think they will, it just might take more time than I thought. But it’s not a guarantee, certainly not saying that he is flawless or anything like that.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2