Zadina probably starting out in GR

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Because it's a business he is a high draft pick the team is terrible. You don't need to dominate the AHL first. With that logic we had Teemu Pulkinen destroy the AHL and he sucks in the NHL. The kid was supposed to be a sniper if he plays a few games and struggles he can always go back. What if he plays good? Scores and helps the team? Its 100% no risk high reward. They changed the color of the damn seats to hide the fact no one goes to the games. If Zadina is in the lineup I guarantee more people would go to that game over Turgeon or Ehn.... This is entertainment too. Give your fans what they want to see.
Despite Bettman's best effort, the NHL is still a full contact league. He could literally get destroyed out there. He ain't ready.

OV was >220lbs when he entered the league. He was demolishing guys from the start.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Despite Bettman's best effort, the NHL is still a full contact league. He could literally get destroyed out there. He ain't ready.

OV was >220lbs when he entered the league. He was demolishing guys from the start.
I would agree if P.Kane wasn't a former league MVP and probably 150lbs soaking wet

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I would agree if P.Kane wasn't a former league MVP and probably 150lbs soaking wet

Yeah, Kane is closer to 180 and he’s way faster and way more skilled with his stick than Zadina is. Zadina’s best tool is a wicked shot and he’s not had success finding lanes to use it in in AHL time so far.

Moreso though.... Kaner was great at avoiding hits and making space for himself. That’s Zadina’s biggest issue right now. That’s why everyone is calling him not ready and saying it is an awful idea to bring him up

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, Kane is closer to 180 and he’s way faster and way more skilled with his stick than Zadina is. Zadina’s best tool is a wicked shot and he’s not had success finding lanes to use it in in AHL time so far.

Moreso though.... Kaner was great at avoiding hits and making space for himself. That’s Zadina’s biggest issue right now. That’s why everyone is calling him not ready and saying it is an awful idea to bring him up

Agreed. Bring Zadina up now, he will be another Yakupov.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If Zadina was Kane, he never would have been sent down to begin with.

Kid can't hold his own in the AHL so he needs to be called up? LOL.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Take this for what’s it worth but people in the hockey community say for certain players it’s harder to score in the American League.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Isn't the biggest question than... Why are we drafting a potential Yakupov/ developmental wingers over top pairing defensemen?
Just stop. He's nothing like Yakupov.

And Yakupov produced 31 points in 48 NHL games in his D+1, out producing a plethora of 19 years old before him.

Reactions: The Flying Octopus

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Isn't the biggest question than... Why are we drafting a potential Yakupov/ developmental wingers over top pairing defensemen?

No, it isn't.

Zadina isn't a "developmental winger". He's a 19 year old kid going from a league he was too good for to a professional league that is much faster and stronger.

And do you mean top pairing defenseman Evan Bouchard who is playing 11 minutes a night in Edmonton?
How about top NHL pairing defenseman Noah Dobson who is in the QMJHL still?
Boqvist who is in Sweden?
Quinn Hughes who is 40 miles down the road from Detroit playing at U-M?

Zadina not being ready to be in the NHL at 19, twelve games into the season isn't a death knell for his career. If he were on a team who actually has no clue what they're doing (like Edmonton), he'd be in the NHL right now getting his brains beat in.

Jesus, the impatience of some people.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
No, it isn't.

Zadina isn't a "developmental winger". He's a 19 year old kid going from a league he was too good for to a professional league that is much faster and stronger.

And do you mean top pairing defenseman Evan Bouchard who is playing 11 minutes a night in Edmonton?

Zadina not being ready to be in the NHL at 19, twelve games into the season isn't a death knell for his career. If he were on a team who actually has no clue what they're doing (like Edmonton), he'd be in the NHL right now getting his brains beat in.

Listen. I want my pizza hot and ready and I can easily get that. I need prospects to be on fire and ready the second they're drafted. It's only reasonable and fair.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Listen. I want my pizza hot and ready and I can easily get that. I need prospects to be on fire and ready the second they're drafted. It's only reasonable and fair.

Well, threatening to sticke em in the oven might just do the trick. For good measure, we should set an example and stick Megan in there first?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I'm literally talking about developing defensemen over wingers. Take the names out I don't care if the defensmen is playing this year or not really, especially in comparison to a winger who's not playing either. The fact that Bouchard is playing in the NHL at 19 as a last pairing defensemen is somewhat telling imo. It's why Cholowski is even more impressive playing top minutes at about the same age.

But yeah, you guys are right, it's better to draft a Winger and develop him vs drafting top pairing defensemen when the organization has basically just 1 shot, possibly/maybe 2 in Cholowski/Hronek in having in house developed top 4 defensemen.

Also, still time, he can bounce back like I've mentioned tons of times, it's just a worthy question at this point was Zadina that much better than the defensmen we passed on? And the organization needs top pairing potential defensemen.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Why did we draft Zadina over one of the available Ds? Because he was the highest guy on the Wings draft board.

They had him third on the board and felt they had to take him. I disagree with that placement but I don't fault the Wings if that is what they believed. I know there are several others out there that believe Zadina is a special player. I hope they go BPA again this year. You cannot mess up top 10 picks, you pick the player you believe will be the best period up there. I know we hope it leads naturally to some balance where sometimes it is a D-man and sometimes it is a forward. However, I don't want to miss out on a Dach if he is the best guy on the board when we go up to pick this year to force Byram if we don't think he is better.

Zadina should be fine, it hasn't been an easy transition on a team that isn't playing great hockey. He and quite a few other guys need to pick it up. I think he will and I feel like at worst we just drafted Tomas Tatar type with the sixth pick... I don't mean that in a super harsh way, just sort of what I think Zadina's floor is in all honesty.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
They had him third on the board and felt they had to take him. I disagree with that placement but I don't fault the Wings if that is what they believed. I know there are several others out there that believe Zadina is a special player. I hope they go BPA again this year. You cannot mess up top 10 picks, you pick the player you believe will be the best period up there. I know we hope it leads naturally to some balance where sometimes it is a D-man and sometimes it is a forward. However, I don't want to miss out on a Dach if he is the best guy on the board when we go up to pick this year to force Byram if we don't think he is better.

Zadina should be fine, it hasn't been an easy transition on a team that isn't playing great hockey. He and quite a few other guys need to pick it up. I think he will and I feel like at worst we just drafted Tomas Tatar type with the sixth pick... I don't mean that in a super harsh way, just sort of what I think Zadina's floor is in all honesty.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with BPA. I disagreed with Rasmussen a couple of years ago, couldn't really complain about Zadina last year though I wasn't super high on him, either. I want the Wings succeeding/failing going with the guys they think are best, though. Like you said, you can't mess up a top10 pick. Your GM starts getting cute and you're more likely to get burned.

Agree about Zadina's floor. It's easy to see that as a knock, but Tatar was/is a pretty decent 20+ goal wing. The guy hasn't failed to net 20 for the past four years, which is pretty impressive. If Zadina comes in and puts up 20+ goals for 5-8 years and then nets us a handful of top half of the draft picks...that's not bad. I'm hoping we're in a position to want to hold onto him, though. Or deal him for a player rather than futures. Hoping.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If he ends up like Tatar, than that is a massive bust in my estimation. Tatar was what, 48th overall or around there? Zadina needs to be much better than that, especially since he was talked about as high as 3rd overall. When you get drafted Top 5 in the NHL as a forward, you need to be no worse than 50+ pts every year, other wise it is bust, as 50 pts isn't even that good. None of us will be excited if he ends up like Tatar or Nyquist, none!

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No, it isn't.

Boqvist is playing in the OHL with the London Nights. So far, 11 GP 1 G 10 A 11 PTS +2.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
It'll be funny when he puts up 30 in a few years and all the folks whining about why we drafted him pretend it never happened...

... If you wanna know why he's in the AHL, pay attention to what's happening in Edmonton with Puljujarvi.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
It'll be funny when he puts up 30 in a few years and all the folks whining about why we drafted him pretend it never happened...

... If you wanna know why he's in the AHL, pay attention to what's happening in Edmonton with Puljujarvi.

people will single out whichever of the 4 defensemen is doing the best and go on and on about them forever

that's pretty much been guaranteed to happen from the start just based on what was available,one of those defensemen is probably gonna stand out and we'll never stop hearing about them even if the Wings would have taken a different one of the four in the absence of Zadina

Reactions: RedWingzz

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
people will single out whichever of the 4 defensemen is doing the best and go on and on about them forever

that's pretty much been guaranteed to happen from the start just based on what was available,one of those defensemen is probably gonna stand out and we'll never stop hearing about them even if the Wings would have taken a different one of the four in the absence of Zadina

If the Wings miss big on one of those D, they should be called out on it - especially if Zadina doesn't develop. By the same token, if they end up having the best of the guys chosen in that area, they should be applauded.

Reactions: Invictus12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad