Zadina probably starting out in GR

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
People need to chill on Zadina. Look at Andrei Svechnikov who has cooled off...he would benefit from some AHL time but he can’t go there...

Our prospects are going to be funneled into the front lines in due time.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
If he ends up like Tatar, than that is a massive bust in my estimation. Tatar was what, 48th overall or around there? Zadina needs to be much better than that, especially since he was talked about as high as 3rd overall. When you get drafted Top 5 in the NHL as a forward, you need to be no worse than 50+ pts every year, other wise it is bust, as 50 pts isn't even that good. None of us will be excited if he ends up like Tatar or Nyquist, none!

Good thing he was drafted 6th then! ;)

If he ends up like Tatar it might be a slight disappointment, but definitely not any kind of bust. Tatar has vastly outplayed his draft position. Take a look at all the #6 picks in the last 20 years, there isn't a whole lot of elite in that bunch.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
If anyone has watched Zadina in the AHL they'd know he is not ready for the bigs. He is improving on the little things, which is really good.

I'm not too worried about his goal scoring, that will come. But he needs to learn the faster pace, tougher opponents and be quicker/smarter with the puck.

He's doing fine. He's no Connor McDavid. I guess since he was picked 6th overall (and we are not use to picking that high), people expect him to automatically be an NHL superstar stud.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

If he ends up like Tatar it might be a slight disappointment, but definitely not any kind of bust. Tatar has vastly outplayed his draft position. Take a look at all the #6 picks in the last 20 years, there isn't a whole lot of elite in that bunch.

How about Wingers selected in the top 10 how many of them work out?

* Serioulsy curious I don't know how many have become successful NHL players in the last 10 years or whatever. *

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
If anyone has watched Zadina in the AHL they'd know he is not ready for the bigs. He is improving on the little things, which is really good.

I'm not too worried about his goal scoring, that will come. But he needs to learn the faster pace, tougher opponents and be quicker/smarter with the puck.

He's doing fine. He's no Connor McDavid. I guess since he was picked 6th overall (and we are not use to picking that high), people expect him to automatically be an NHL superstar stud.

Best oxymoron posted in awhile.

" I'm not worried about him scoring, he just basically needs to learn how to play. " "He's doing fine, as a -9 and out of place as a top 6 forward so far, lol. Oh ok bro. Tomas Jurco/ Pulkenin were really good in the AHL and Zadina can't find space, sorry if I'm slightly alarmed even if it is early.

Only credible argument given back to me was... Patience man! patience. Nothing Zadina is doing is " fine " so far.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

" I'm not worried about him scoring, he just basically needs to learn how to play. " "He's doing fine, as a -9 and out of place as a top 6 forward so far, lol. Oh ok bro. Tomas Jurco/ Pulkenin were really good in the AHL and Zadina can't find space, sorry if I'm slightly alarmed even if it is early.

No. He needs to learn, night in, night out, how to compete in a league of men vs doing so in a league of boys (AHL vs the Q)

I mean, in his first 8 games, he's got 4 points. His play is disappointing in as much as you'd want him to dominate from the word go, not actually super disappointing like he doesn't belong.

Zadina is learning the speed of the game. That's why he doesn't have space. Pulkkinen flamed out because he was AHL fast with his shot, not NHL fast. Pulkkinen is basically an NHL example of a AAAA player. Too good for the minors, not good enough for the show. Jurco got hurt and never picked his play back up after that fact. Partly because Babcock tried making him something he wasn't

If we are here in January and Zadina is still struggling, I'd start to worry. but his first month in professional hockey after being able to basically do whatever he wanted because he was so good in major juniors?

And what Dotter is saying is that Zadina's shot is still there. He has to get in better positions offensively and defensively. He's got to improve his off-the-puck play. Then once he does, he'll have that AND his wicked shot and he'll be great.

Reactions: gbdet and Winger98

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI

No, hes right. If Zadina ends up like Tatar, then hes a MAJOR MAJOR bust. Okay, so, not much at the #6 position, but I bet you there is a lot of elite around #6 in the last twenty years. ;)

Reactions: Oddbob

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Boqvist is playing in the OHL with the London Nights. So far, 11 GP 1 G 10 A 11 PTS +2.

That's my bad. I saw that it was a possibility he'd be in Sweden for another year at around draft time and I never checked back on it.

people will single out whichever of the 4 defensemen is doing the best and go on and on about them forever

that's pretty much been guaranteed to happen from the start just based on what was available,one of those defensemen is probably gonna stand out and we'll never stop hearing about them even if the Wings would have taken a different one of the four in the absence of Zadina

And yep. But basically, I can't fault them because they had Zadina at the top of their board obviously. And each of the 4 had something that made me worry about them.

Bouchard's hockey IQ looks god awful in lower leagues. I know everyone has lowlights, but there were certainly some real doozies in his pre-draft run up.
Dobson is probably the one I wanted most, but so many things pointed to him being good at everything, but not really great at anything. Basically, the kind of things you'd say about a middle pairing guy, which is not what Detroit needs.
Boqvist came with a litany of concussions and is one of the rover type D like young Mike Green. Big risk with a D in that mold that their defense never comes around. He's also super tiny.
Hughes is one of the rover type D like young Mike Green. Big risk with a D in that mold that their defense never comes around. He's also super tiny.

I can see the reasoning for "avoiding" any or all of these guys.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
No, hes right. If Zadina ends up like Tatar, then hes a MAJOR MAJOR bust. Okay, so, not much at the #6 position, but I bet you there is a lot of elite around #6 in the last twenty years. ;)

15: Pavel Zacha
14: Jake Virtanen
13: Sean Monahan
12: Hampus Lindholm
11: Mika Zibanejad
10: Brett Connolly
09: OEL
08: Nikita Filatov
07: Sam Ganger
06: Derick Brassard
05: Gilbert Brule
04: Al Montoya
03: Milan Michalek
02: Scottie Upshall
01: Mikko Koivu
00: Scott Hartnell

I mean, take your pick. I see three elite level players in there. And then a lot of good to quite bad. Assuming Tatar!Zadina, he's still one of the better 6OA picks in the last good while here.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Only credible argument given back to me was... Patience man! patience. Nothing Zadina is doing is " fine " so far.

-Not an oxymoron. Those two ideas aren't mutually exclusive. There are shades of gray. Not everything is black and white.

-He needs to learn to play AT THE PRO LEVEL. Again, unless you're a generational talent, there is gonna be a transitional/learning period so that you can get acclimated to the speed and strength that's not at the junior level, and shocker, that time is slightly more than one month. You're being willfully ignorant if you claim otherwise.

-Plus minus is a garbage stat 9/10. This isn't the one time to use it. The TEAM, as in everyone in GR, hasn't been playing very well, of course the plus minus is going to reflect that.

-Neither Jurco or Pulkkinen played in the AHL at 18. The difference between playing in the AHL at 18 or playing in it at 20/21/22 is night and day.

Everyone just needs to not look at his stats until February. You're gonna drive yourselves insane otherwise.

DEVELOPMENT IS NOT LINEAR

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
15: Pavel Zacha
14: Jake Virtanen
13: Sean Monahan
12: Hampus Lindholm
11: Mika Zibanejad
10: Brett Connolly
09: OEL
08: Nikita Filatov
07: Sam Ganger
06: Derick Brassard
05: Gilbert Brule
04: Al Montoya
03: Milan Michalek
02: Scottie Upshall
01: Mikko Koivu
00: Scott Hartnell

I mean, take your pick. I see three elite level players in there. And then a lot of good to quite bad. Assuming Tatar!Zadina, he's still one of the better 6OA picks in the last good while here.

3 elite level players? Really? I see, maybe, one (OEL) and I'm not even convinced he is elite. YMMV

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Yikes, this thread has become an absolute gutter. Imagine forming any kind of opinion on any player after just 8 games.

It has been 8 games and I know that this Brendan Smith guy is going to be a top pairing defenseman. Eh scores a lot of points at a good rate and doesn't afraid of anything.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I gave too much in the way of benefit to Monahan (who is last year Larkin level at best) and Hampus Lindholm.

Either way the point stands, not a lot of great talent is taken at that spot. A lot of guys who aren't bad, guys who have had some very respectable NHL careers, but not exactly a laundry list of HoFers. Zadina goes on and becomes a consistent 20+ goal scorer for several years for us, realistically we've done pretty well. Hopefully he can be more, but you have to go back to 1991 before you find a HoF level guy (Forsberg).

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
It sure is fun that you're allowed to have the opinion that he'll be a perennial 40 goal scorer in the NHL on the day he was drafted,

But if you express concern after training camp, the prospects tournament, preseason, and some AHL games... you are rushing to judgement.

Reactions: Oddbob and Snuggs

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
in less games cholowski has as many points as dahlin and heiskanen combined, while having less offensive support

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Mrazek is well on his way to becoming the best goalie in the NHL too, do you even remember that one playoff series five years ago?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
It sure is fun that you're allowed to have the opinion that he'll be a perennial 40 goal scorer in the NHL on the day he was drafted,

But if you express concern after training camp, the prospects tournament, preseason, and some AHL games... you are rushing to judgement.

Yep, because that's what is happening here. :sarcasm:

When people are automatically thinking that Zadina is going to cap out at Tatar level of impact because he isn't potting 2 PPG in the AHL, that's rushing to judgement. When people are apoplectic that Wade Megan (a center) got called up over Zadina when we needed a center not a wing and are assuming it is because Zadina is terrible, that's rushing to judgement.

I'd love if Zadina came in gangbusters and was elite generational player and best on the Red Wings in game one. He wasn't. I still think he is capable of those 40 goal seasons though. It seems like many are actively bailing out because he's "only" scoring at 0.5 PPG.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI

an opinion based on an entire junior career vs an opinion based on a handful of games at the next level

overall I think people just need to chill and let the kid learn, he's 18

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany