Zadina probably starting out in GR

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If I was coaching the Redwings, Hronek would have been with Griffins before the NHL-Camp ended. So don't blame Blashill. Hronek looked shaky from the beginning and even admitted it...yet still the Coaching staff gave him plenty of opportunities and tried hard to play him through it. It didn't work and now it's time to admit it and end the experiment. Hronek eating popcorn in the pressbox during games isn't gonna help anybody.

He made the team because half of the defense was hurt.

Hicketts should have been the one benched, Hronek has been fine. But I’m also fine with him going down and playing with Zadina for a little.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
If I was coaching the Redwings, Hronek would have been with Griffins before the NHL-Camp ended. So don't blame Blashill. Hronek looked shaky from the beginning and even admitted it...yet still the Coaching staff gave him plenty of opportunities and tried hard to play him through it. It didn't work and now it's time to admit it and end the experiment. Hronek eating popcorn in the pressbox during games isn't gonna help anybody.

I thought he's been pretty good overall dunno who you're watching

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
He made the team because half of the defense was hurt.

Hicketts should have been the one benched, Hronek has been fine. But I’m also fine with him going down and playing with Zadina for a little.

Yeah, if the rationale is that they want him to be away from this losing team and to help Zadina, I can get behind that reasoning. If it's because they don't believe that he's not one of the six best defensemen on this team, that's just false.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Hicketts has been more than fine, much better than Sulak, who was a defensive mess.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yeah, if the rationale is that they want him to be away from this losing team and to help Zadina, I can get behind that reasoning. If it's because they don't believe that he's not one of the six best defensemen on this team, that's just false.

I mean, I do think he's been one of the best six... but that doesn't prevent going to GR from potentially being best for his development. I want him to be the best of a good bunch than okay and better than the worst in a bad bunch. Being better than Luke Witkowski and Joe Hicketts is not what I want for Filip Hronek.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
I'd send Ericsson, Jensen, Daley and Hronek instead and bring Sulak back up.
I'm a big fan of Sulak but let's let hum adjust and gain some traction in the AHL so he can really flourish in the NHL like I think he can. Also I don't think Ericsson, Jensen, or Daley would clear waivers. Daley can still do something at NHL level too

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Back on track please I can watch the D guys here in the big's, how is little Z doing in the A?

From what I've seen so far, he looks tentative out there. Like he's still trying to get a feel for the pace and timing. And when the puck is on his stick, he tries to do too much with it a lot of times. He's got to simplify it a bit and trust the God given skill he has. I think that's gonna come with time as he adjusts. Playing in the AHL as an 18 yr old isn't easy. While he may have the tools, he's playing against older, more physically mature players and that is gonna certainly effect how he plays, at least for a little while until he get more comfortable. Even with that, he still has 4 points in his first 6 games so he's making some stuff happen even when he's not at the top of his game. Point being, he's got another gear. It's just a matter of getting him time and games until he can tap into it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He needs to start generating more shots. Only has 1 shot in each of his last 3 games. If he was producing a lot of shots I would feel better about the goals following.

With his talent he should be helping GR more, I hope he finds a way to get more involved soon. Gotta shoot to score kid, let’s get it going.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He needs to start generating mire shots. Only has 1 shot in each of his last 3 games. If he was producing a lot of shots I would feel better about the goals following.

With his talent he should be helping GR more, I hope he finds a way to get more involved soon. Gotta shoot to score kid, let’s get it going.

He had a really rough one last night, I watched the game this morning. I think he will be fine long-term, he is a little farther away than I thought though. He is still struggling to gain separation a lot of times down in the AHL, like you said for whatever reason he is hesitant but that is a big problem in terms of thinking of calling him up. We will see, realistically I didn't expect him until January so he has some time still.

Reactions: Frk It

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
He had a really rough one last night, I watched the game this morning. I think he will be fine long-term, he is a little farther away than I thought though. He is still struggling to gain separation a lot of times down in the AHL, like you said for whatever reason he is hesitant but that is a big problem in terms of thinking of calling him up. We will see, realistically I didn't expect him until January so he has some time still.
I called this in the preseaon he can't take the puck off the half boards and walk into the slot like he done in Jrs. Hes been rocked a few times good trying it and hes shook. He will learn and be fine I think just gonna take some time.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
A little disappointed to hear he seems to be coming along slower than we hoped, but being on our team right now, is probably not a big deal anyways! After reading a lot about him before and after the draft, he sounded more like someone who would make the NHL right away and be decently good. So I thought well he should do pretty well in the AHL, hopefully he gets going soon.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Grand Rapids has given up 20 ES goals against and Zadina has been on for 9 of those, which is pretty alarming so far! 2 goals scored and only 15 shots on net which isn't a super high amount. I know it is early but bad start for sure.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Grand Rapids has given up 20 ES goals against and Zadina has been on for 9 of those, which is pretty alarming so far! 2 goals scored and only 15 shots on net which isn't a super high amount. I know it is early but bad start for sure.
He wasn't drafted to stop us from being scored on. If he is one dimensional as a 18 year old but can score goals that's just fine.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.
Pretty sure Ovi was a huge defensive liability when he first entered the league. Not every prospect should be carved out to be a future selke winner. If he is all offensive at first and is elite at that that's fine.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Pretty sure Ovi was a huge defensive liability when he first entered the league. Not every prospect should be carved out to be a future selke winner. If he is all offensive at first and is elite at that that's fine.

Granted the lockout played a role but Ovie played his D+1 season in the KHL. He was also a generational talent that could score 50 goals as rookie which... Zadina is not.

Absolutely nothing wrong with letting zadina find his game in the AHL.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Granted the lockout played a role but Ovie played his D+1 season in the KHL. He was also a generational talent that could score 50 goals as rookie which... Zadina is not.

Absolutely nothing wrong with letting zadina find his game in the AHL.
Also nothing wrong with letting him play a few games with Detroit. He was drafted to score not be a 2 way forward. And we have plenty of forwards that play and are terrible defensively at least he has offensive potential.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Also nothing wrong with letting him play a few games with Detroit. He was drafted to score not be a 2 way forward. And we have plenty of forwards that play and are terrible defensively at least he has offensive potential.

If he was already producing I would agree with you. It seems to me he is still acclimating himself at the AHL so I'd prefer a patient approach at this point.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If he was already producing I would agree with you. It seems to me he is still acclimating himself at the AHL so I'd prefer a patient approach at this point.
A few games won't kill him. And they might sell some tickets it's about money too...

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I hate this idea. Zadina isn't even blowing away the AHL and you want to give him a bump to the NHL... because?

Yes, he has the pedigree to be a fantastic player, but he has to learn how to generate open space for himself in the AHL before he'll be worth a damn in the NHL. Long term, he's a fabulous prospect who will go on to do great things. Right now? He's not remotely ready to play on a very poor Red Wings roster.

And also, Zadina was drafted to be an elite hockey player. That includes both sides of the ice. And also, it gets back to the same idea that being slightly better than Justin Abdelkader, Darren Helm, Frans Nielsen, etc. is not the goal that a young player should have or a barometer by which the Red Wings make decisions. They should be operating with Zadina to make him the best player he can be, which should eventually be the best player on this roster. I don't care if he'd score 35 points and Abdelkader would score 30. I'd rather Zadina get his legs under him at the AHL level and the Wings get a little more talent and experience so he can come up and be scoring 80.

I mean, if he can't find open ice against the likes of Brian Lashoff, what do you think Oliver Ekman Larsson would do to him? Or Alex Piertrangelo? or Marc-Edouard Vlasic? Zadina isn't ready right this second. Bringing him up right this second would be a terrible idea and provide no value besides a game or two spike in ticket sales.

Reactions: TheMule93

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I hate this idea. Zadina isn't even blowing away the AHL and you want to give him a bump to the NHL... because?

Yes, he has the pedigree to be a fantastic player, but he has to learn how to generate open space for himself in the AHL before he'll be worth a damn in the NHL. Long term, he's a fabulous prospect who will go on to do great things. Right now? He's not remotely ready to play on a very poor Red Wings roster.

And also, Zadina was drafted to be an elite hockey player. That includes both sides of the ice. And also, it gets back to the same idea that being slightly better than Justin Abdelkader, Darren Helm, Frans Nielsen, etc. is not the goal that a young player should have or a barometer by which the Red Wings make decisions. They should be operating with Zadina to make him the best player he can be, which should eventually be the best player on this roster. I don't care if he'd score 35 points and Abdelkader would score 30. I'd rather Zadina get his legs under him at the AHL level and the Wings get a little more talent and experience so he can come up and be scoring 80.

I mean, if he can't find open ice against the likes of Brian Lashoff, what do you think Oliver Ekman Larsson would do to him? Or Alex Piertrangelo? or Marc-Edouard Vlasic? Zadina isn't ready right this second. Bringing him up right this second would be a terrible idea and provide no value besides a game or two spike in ticket sales.
Because it's a business he is a high draft pick the team is terrible. You don't need to dominate the AHL first. With that logic we had Teemu Pulkinen destroy the AHL and he sucks in the NHL. The kid was supposed to be a sniper if he plays a few games and struggles he can always go back. What if he plays good? Scores and helps the team? Its 100% no risk high reward. They changed the color of the damn seats to hide the fact no one goes to the games. If Zadina is in the lineup I guarantee more people would go to that game over Turgeon or Ehn.... This is entertainment too. Give your fans what they want to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad