Rumor: Zadina on the Market?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Well, I think Petry is certainly better than Hronek.

Although that's different than "more valuable" when talking age and contract. Within two years it's realistic that Hronek becomes the better player, even if I personally don't think that will come to pass.

For sure. The only reason to trade him now is if there's an opportunity you don't want to pass up and you're certain he's not part of the future. The urgency to sell a young, low value asset shouldn't be all that great. Especially when the player seems to be happy to continue grinding it out on the team and isn't asking for a change of scenery due to coaching issues or usage. Let him keep grinding and see if that stock rises or he finds a place on the team.

If Petry was a FA, sure. But he would require an asset to acquire and his contract is not awesome. Also, he's past the high-water mark of his career.

Also, the key determinant in that post above was "more valuable" and not "better hockey player". I would actually argue that 2022 Hronek is a better hockey player than 2022 Jeff Petry if you flipped their circumstances.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah, no chance they're getting that kind of return for Chychrun, especially considering it's Arizona management we're talking about here.

We go through this song and dance every time there's a great player on the block.

Team asks the moon and stars. Fans bicker back and forth including blue chip prospects thrown around. And then time passes and the GM of the valuable asset finally accepts you rarely get 1 for 1 value back and takes the underwhelming package of good but not great players and some playoff team draft picks.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If Petry was a FA, sure. But he would require an asset to acquire and his contract is not awesome.

If the asset is Zadina... I kinda feel like that's becoming close to free at this point. Would Zadina return anything more than a 3rd round pick if we put a value on him?

Like Zadina has one more season until his value is basically nothing. I don't know if that's entirely fair or not but that's where we are at.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
If the asset is Zadina... I kinda feel like that's becoming close to free at this point. Would Zadina return anything more than a 3rd round pick if we put a value on him?

Like Zadina has one more season until his value is basically nothing. I don't know if that's entirely fair or not but that's where we are at.

I’d honestly want an asset from Montreal for him. 6.25M for three more years of a D who is already slowing down? I have negative interest in Petry.

Let me write up a contract for a guy like Martinez or actually deal some assets of value to get a legitimate plus LD.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I’d honestly want an asset from Montreal for him. 6.25M for three more years of a D who is already slowing down? I have negative interest in Petry.

Let me write up a contract for a guy like Martinez or actually deal some assets of value to get a legitimate plus LD.

Vegas may find themselves between a rock and a hard place soon. But I don't think Martinez is one of the guys they lose, as much as I'd love to get him.

Vegas Golden Knights Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Hague is a guy I have been very impressed with. He fits the Yzerman mold as a big physical defender. Is more of a defensive #4 guy in Vegas. He probably wants to make close to Brandon Carlo money and Vegas might have to sell him or another top 6/top 9 guy to be under the cap when Eichel, Stone and Martinez are all healthy together. Chandler Stephenson is another guy I am impressed by on the Knights.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Zadina+A.Johansson+2023/2024 1st (2023 would be top 10 protected protected ofc)

Chychrun + 2024 2nd/3rd (conditional on protection, if top 10 in 2023 then becomes 3rd rd pick in 2024, if 2024 is top 10, then 2nd rd pick in 2024)

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Vegas may find themselves between a rock and a hard place soon. But I don't think Martinez is one of the guys they lose, as much as I'd love to get him.

Vegas Golden Knights Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Hague is a guy I have been very impressed with. He fits the Yzerman mold as a big physical defender. Is more of a defensive #4 guy in Vegas. He probably wants to make close to Brandon Carlo money and Vegas might have to sell him or another top 6/top 9 guy to be under the cap when Eichel, Stone and Martinez are all healthy together. Chandler Stephenson is another guy I am impressed by on the Knights.
Dadonov was the guy who was supposed to go, if Mark Stone was still healthy.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Everything about this thread has been terrible so far.

Giving up real valuable assets for 34 year old Petry is terrible.
Zadina + 4 2nd rounders isn't going to work to get Chychrun. Or any good player you want. And I think Chychrun is terribly overrated.
Let's clarify what my offer was, because I feel like it has gone by the wayside over everyone's consternation over Petry/Hronek. My offer was for Zadina/Hronek to Montreal for Petry AND their other 1st round pick in 2022 (which is either Carolina's or Calgary's based on who finishes the season with the better record or goes to the Cup final. So my thought process was: Hronek for Petry and then Zadina for the 1st rounder. We recoup an asset for Zadina, while parting ways with Hronek for veteran RD stability next year, because we will have no one (outside of Seider) to play with Edvinsson on the right-side, let alone any veteran D to mentor to help our younger players (Leddy/DDK will be gone and Staal will probably retire). Petry's cap hit is negligible because by the time we have to pay anyone after Seider/Raymond, Petry's contract is up and it will only have been 2M AAV more than Hronek's for the same terms.

So it's not just Zadina/Hronek for Petry. Let's put that one to bed.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
He is old, expensive and declining.
Guys, somebody just put all my magic words together in describing a player. We need to act NOW!

88871821.jpg.0.jpg

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Let's clarify what my offer was, because I feel like it has gone by the wayside over everyone's consternation over Petry/Hronek. My offer was for Zadina/Hronek to Montreal for Petry AND their other 1st round pick in 2022 (which is either Carolina's or Calgary's based on who finishes the season with the better record or goes to the Cup final. So my thought process was: Hronek for Petry and then Zadina for the 1st rounder. We recoup an asset for Zadina, while parting ways with Hronek for veteran RD stability next year, because we will have no one (outside of Seider) to play with Edvinsson on the right-side, let alone any veteran D to mentor to help our younger players (Leddy/DDK will be gone and Staal will probably retire). Petry's cap hit is negligible because by the time we have to pay anyone after Seider/Raymond, Petry's contract is up and it will only have been 2M AAV more than Hronek's for the same terms.

So it's not just Zadina/Hronek for Petry. Let's put that one to bed.
It’s still a terrible offer. I have no need at all for Petry. I would expect they’d trade me something to take his 6.25m contract.

I certainly would not trade Hronek for him

Reactions: iDangleDangle

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Crazy how much Zadina's stock has fallen since his draft year. He was so hyped. What the hell happened to his shot
Same thing that happened with Pulkinen, it doesn't work at NHL pace. Zadina's problem is more timing than windup like Pulky, but regardless it doesn't work in the NHL.

Zadina is only marginally stronger and faster than Pulky, so he's gonna have a tough go unless he improves on those 2 areas. I don't care if he gets traded or not, because I just see sub-average to average abilities across the board with absolutely no strengths. He might wind up carving out a short career as a bottom 6 player, much like Svech is right now, but those are the types of players you can pick up in free agency. The only reason to keep Zadina is because he's cheap.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
I still cannot understand why some are so quick to want to shoot this kid into the sun...is it just because he is disappointing compared to his draft slot?? He's young, he's cheap, he's trying and he's not blocking anyone from a full time roster spot. Unless he's a locker room cancer, there is no reason to punt him to the curb. People are acting like he's end of life Samuelsson or Cleary here and I really don't get the eagerness to jettison him from the organization. He's not good enough to be a main piece in a trade and he's not bad enough that I want to see more of an Erne type guy play over him. I would think that they are going to give him at least another full season to try to work things out unless he signs an offer sheet or something.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I still cannot understand why some are so quick to want to shoot this kid into the sun...is it just because he is disappointing compared to his draft slot?? He's young, he's cheap, he's trying and he's not blocking anyone from a full time roster spot. Unless he's a locker room cancer, there is no reason to punt him to the curb. People are acting like he's end of life Samuelsson or Cleary here and I really don't get the eagerness to jettison him from the organization. He's not good enough to be a main piece in a trade and he's not bad enough that I want to see more of an Erne type guy play over him. I would think that they are going to give him at least another full season to try to work things out unless he signs an offer sheet or something.

But...he is kind of blocking a roster spot for Berggren. And he may block a spot for Soderblom if he’s ready next season.

Sooo...

Reactions: golffuul

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
But...he is kind of blocking a roster spot for Berggren. And he may block a spot for Soderblom if he’s ready next season.

Sooo...

But he's not. They clearly want Berggren working on his game in GR this season. I want JB up with the big team as bad as anyone but I don't feel like it's Zadina's fault he isn't up yet. And we can cross the Soderblom bridge next season, we haven't seen him on NA ice since the prospects camp almost 3 years ago. We have no clue how he's going to look, so what exactly would be the point of hastening the demise of Zadina's career? I thought Zadina looked just fine on the top line, but it does seem like there is something off with how him and Larkin play together. Larkin refuses to pass to Zadina pretty much at all times (and with the season he's having I don't blame him for hogging the puck some) but is much more willing to give and go with Raymond. Not sure what the deal is there. I want to see more of the Joe, Z, and Ras line especially with Joe starting to find his confidence and game at this level.

Reactions: 14ari13

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2