Rumor: Zadina on the Market?

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
The point is that, even though we think they're value is much lower than what it could be, we don't know what the rest of the NHL is thinking about the player.

Like Tatar and Smith.
Btw, what did we get for Bernier?

I don't think Detroit would mind having Petry, I just don't think the Hronek/Zadina price is what they'd want to pay. If Montreal deals Petry it's got to be seen as at least a partial cap dump. This year's cap number for them is $93m. They have $79m committed to next year. Yeah, that includes Weber and Price, but it's not like those guys just disappear and we don't know how much insurance is actually picking up for them.

The cost isn't going to be a 3rd or something silly, but I don't think we'd be sending two roster guys.

Congratulations with 20 years on the board.

Crazy how much Zadina's stock has fallen since his draft year. He was so hyped. What the hell happened to his shot

Still don't see why you would trade him right now. We won't get anything of value and the Wings have drafted so many prospects the last few years. Might as well give him more time to figure it out.

It seems like Yzerman and Blashill are giving him a chance and I assume he will keep it rest of the season. Then it's up to him.

But he's not. They clearly want Berggren working on his game in GR this season. I want JB up with the big team as bad as anyone but I don't feel like it's Zadina's fault he isn't up yet. And we can cross the Soderblom bridge next season, we haven't seen him on NA ice since the prospects camp almost 3 years ago. We have no clue how he's going to look, so what exactly would be the point of hastening the demise of Zadina's career? I thought Zadina looked just fine on the top line, but it does seem like there is something off with how him and Larkin play together. Larkin refuses to pass to Zadina pretty much at all times (and with the season he's having I don't blame him for hogging the puck some) but is much more willing to give and go with Raymond. Not sure what the deal is there. I want to see more of the Joe, Z, and Ras line especially with Joe starting to find his confidence and game at this level.

They had a goal and created 3 very good scoring chances.

Reactions: Winger98

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Dorion and Yzerman seem to be scouting each others teams

Sens fans think that Brannstrom for Zadina is something that could be happening

I doubt it, Brannstrom is not a Yzerman defender. Small, will turn 23 this year. Barely produces in the AHL. Maybe Zadina for Brannstrom and a 1st round pick is realistic.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I still cannot understand why some are so quick to want to shoot this kid into the sun...is it just because he is disappointing compared to his draft slot?? He's young, he's cheap, he's trying and he's not blocking anyone from a full time roster spot. Unless he's a locker room cancer, there is no reason to punt him to the curb. People are acting like he's end of life Samuelsson or Cleary here and I really don't get the eagerness to jettison him from the organization. He's not good enough to be a main piece in a trade and he's not bad enough that I want to see more of an Erne type guy play over him. I would think that they are going to give him at least another full season to try to work things out unless he signs an offer sheet or something.
Because, in my far from expert opinion, he just isn't any good and I don't see him getting better. He's still young enough that another GM might still think he can turn it around and give up a real asset for him. I'd rather try to do that than lose him to the KHL for nothing in a couple years.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Dorion and Yzerman seem to be scouting each others teams

Sens fans think that Brannstrom for Zadina is something that could be happening

Nick Paul, Erik Brannstrom for Filip Zadina.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Well, I think Petry is certainly better than Hronek.

Although that's different than "more valuable" when talking age and contract. Within two years it's realistic that Hronek becomes the better player, even if I personally don't think that will come to pass.

Please go watch Jeff Petry play. We are not talking about Jeff Petry from three or four years ago. In no way shape or form is current Jeff Petry better than current Hronek (no matter how much people irrationally hate the later). Moreover, Jeff Petry is 34 years old and has already shown signs of significant decline. Why on earth is it reasonable to expect the decline to stop at his age. He is only going to get worse. The acquisition of Jeff Petry for a solid, tradeable asset like Hronek would be nothing short of devastating. We don't need any Ken Holland flashbacks at this point in the rebuild.

Hronek isn't beyond being traded, but he isn't a player you simply look to move on from.

Also I want futures on people complaining about A. Johansson losing puck battles in the defensive zone. The posters expecting a defensive upgrade over Hronek are in for disappointment.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Please go watch Jeff Petry play. We are not talking about Jeff Petry from three or four years ago. In no way shape or form is current Jeff Petry better than current Hronek (no matter how much people irrationally hate the later). Moreover, Jeff Petry is 34 years old and has already shown signs of significant decline. Why on earth is it reasonable to expect the decline to stop at his age. He is only going to get worse. The acquisition of Jeff Petry for a solid, tradeable asset like Hronek would be nothing short of devastating. We don't need any Ken Holland flashbacks at this point in the rebuild.

Hronek isn't beyond being traded, but he isn't a player you simply look to move on from.

Also I want futures on people complaining about A. Johansson losing puck battles in the defensive zone. The posters expecting a defensive upgrade over Hronek are in for disappointment.

Dang-it. I actually really like this player but understand the animosity built up towards him on this forum because of a couple posters, posting agenda driven threads/post continually.

I'm not gonna say he's physical, lol, but would smooth be an alright term for this kid. (I assume you've seen him play?) Like Brain Rafalski wasn't physical but still good, and ( OMG I KNOW. ) That's who I kind of see in Albert Johansson play when I see him play. Good defender with the puck, positions well, not very phsyical but smart.

I'm not trying to boot Hronek though just cause like some other posters. I'd move him for the right deal but... I'm sure most would?

But back to Zadina... I just don't think he's that good. An am one of those guys that'd take just about anything for him at this point. :dunno: Sorry to be that guy for some. Though, I'm also not counting Jeff Petry as an asset for Zadina. Canadians trading Petry is a + move for them in-terms of cap. I'd want their 3rd or 2nd round pick honestly, plus some cap retention, for just taking Petry on. No Zadina involved.

Last edited:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Idk what people really want from Zadina in a trade.

Andreas Athanasiou got back to back 2nd rdps... and Zadina is worst than him. Outside of a package Zadina himself isn't going to garner much.

Reactions: Winger98

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Eh. At this point, I don’t think you get a return for Zadina that is worth forgoing the chance that he’s just a late bloomer.

The time to deal him to recoup assets was a while ago. He is likely to re sign and stay cheap. Listen always but I think Zadina gives you better return than the opportunity a 3rd gives you

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If they can’t beat out a guy you want to blast into the sun…….

Yes, but at the same time if you are looking at next year's roster and seeing Zadina likely being pushed further down/out by the likes of Berggren it makes sense to seriously explore some trade options now before his value further falls.

Congratulations with 20 years on the board.

thanks. I'm old.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

OK but the problem here is I literally said in that post Hronek is more valuable in a trade market and swapping the two 1 for 1 was never part of the premise I entertained in a trade.

I'm not too fussed continuing the who is better argument and trying to make my point when the above is the important part and we're in agreement there.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Eh. At this point, I don’t think you get a return for Zadina that is worth forgoing the chance that he’s just a late bloomer.

The time to deal him to recoup assets was a while ago. He is likely to re sign and stay cheap. Listen always but I think Zadina gives you better return than the opportunity a 3rd gives you

What do you realistically expect Zadina to become? A 30/30/60 guy? A 20/20/40 guy?

Right now he's tracking as MAYBE a 30 point guy. And as I said these kinds of guys are easy to come by in free agency and trade. Hell, 20/20 guys are relatively easy to find if you're willing to spend 4 million for them. (Fabbri is one of those guys)

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
What do you realistically expect Zadina to become? A 30/30/60 guy? A 20/20/40 guy?

Right now he's tracking as MAYBE a 30 point guy. And as I said these kinds of guys are easy to come by in free agency and trade. Hell, 20/20 guys are relatively easy to find if you're willing to spend 4 million for them. (Fabbri is one of those guys)

I don’t have any expectations. I just also think that if there is any chance at that, it’s more likely to come from him than a return for him.

Why find a different 30 point guy in FA when you’ve got one here? Hell, he probably still comes cheaper than one of them because you are sticking by him.

I’m saying that even if you have no faith he will develop into anything but a dime a dozen guy who is always available.. why should you expect any other team would? If this is what he is, he’s fungible with the bottom half of the FA pool and you’re not really gaining or losing anything by having him over some rando.

What I’m saying is that you’re not likely going to be spending 4M to keep Zadina around. If he requires several million? He can walk or you can accept the 3rd or 4th or 5th or whatever.

It’s just that right this second, you’re dumping him off for pennies and I don’t understand why.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
I don’t have any expectations. I just also think that if there is any chance at that, it’s more likely to come from him than a return for him.

Why find a different 30 point guy in FA when you’ve got one here? Hell, he probably still comes cheaper than one of them because you are sticking by him.

I’m saying that even if you have no faith he will develop into anything but a dime a dozen guy who is always available.. why should you expect any other team would? If this is what he is, he’s fungible with the bottom half of the FA pool and you’re not really gaining or losing anything by having him over some rando.

What I’m saying is that you’re not likely going to be spending 4M to keep Zadina around. If he requires several million? He can walk or you can accept the 3rd or 4th or 5th or whatever.

It’s just that right this second, you’re dumping him off for pennies and I don’t understand why.

I agree with all of what you're saying except for the last part. I don't think he'd be getting dumped for pennies. His value is probably STILL quite a lot higher than we expect. Hockey GM's are very egotistical and you often see trades where they acquire a player who has not lived up to expectations, but who they think will thrive on their own team. Look at Griffin Reinhart, as another example.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I agree with all of what you're saying except for the last part. I don't think he'd be getting dumped for pennies. His value is probably STILL quite a lot higher than we expect. Hockey GM's are very egotistical and you often see trades where they acquire a player who has not lived up to expectations, but who they think will thrive on their own team. Look at Griffin Reinhart, as another example.

Reasonable. That's also why I do continue listening and putting him out there. I was stating that more about the people that are just done with him and want a 3rd or something because they don't think he's any good and they figure he'll walk for free in a year or so.

Reactions: ShippinItDaily

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Reasonable. That's also why I do continue listening and putting him out there. I was stating that more about the people that are just done with him and want a 3rd or something because they don't think he's any good and they figure he'll walk for free in a year or so.

Right. I think most of the people proposing to trade him are not motivated by a desire to use him to improve the organization, they just want to dump him because they don't like him or because they don't think he is any good as you say. Mind you, the same logic could be applied to two-thirds of the forwards on this roster.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Right. I think most of the people proposing to trade him are not motivated by a desire to use him to improve the organization, they just want to dump him because they don't like him or because they don't think he is any good as you say. Mind you, the same logic could be applied to two-thirds of the forwards on this roster.

But... If you don't think he's any good, isn't the logical conclusion that you should move him for a chance at something better. Even if that chance is very low you get something better, that's still a risk worth taking assuming you're confident that the current asset has plateaued.

Like I don't think we should give up on Zadina yet either, but if someone else doesn't see any hope, then they are acting perfectly reasonable by suggesting dumping him for magic beans.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

This isn't wanting Zadina gone for no reason. Most of us want Zadina to get traded because we're not seeing the improvement, any flashes in the pan and upside that's to be expected of a top 10 draft pick. In Detroit he's looking like someone that's going to be a mediocre, run of the mill 3rd line forward but maybe there's a way to turn that into more in a package?

Putting in a prospect with 0 NHL games is a gamble, yes, but even if they struggle how much worse than Zadina are we expecting them to be?
Another alternative is utilizing that roster opening for a free agent that might provide something more. Maybe better defense and PK ability. Maybe more grit. Things that make them stand out from other 3rd liners. Even if they don't have potential for much more those added elements are more beneficial to the team.

I get the feeling that the Tampa Bay lightning board was filled with conversations that looked a lot like ours when Connolly and Drouin were traded. Yzerman made the right call in trading those two players. I've got faith that Yzerman will turn whatever we get in a potential Zadina trade into something that advances the team somehow.

Reactions: Gniwder

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The problem with Zadina is that he can't win board battles, and he gives up on defensive plays. Despite his recent production, that Makar play still leaves a bad taste in one's mouth. He takes one wrong step and completely gives up. We've seen that before when McAvoy beat him. McAvoy scored right away, but Zadina had a chance to go after Makar and didn't. He could've done his usual stick lift from behind on Makar's second attempt, but he was just gliding around instead.

The reason to trade both Zadina and Erne is because Blash is too soft on younger players. They both need to be in a situation where they sit in a press box every time they show a lack of effort or physical softness. That's what I said about Cholo, unfortunately for him it's too late.

I think if any team takes a chance on Zadina, it's a team that has confidence in their skating coach. Despite his deficiencies, if Zadina can become an above average skater, then he might be worth something.

BTW, this is why I didn't want Brandt Clarke, this team has not shown that it can fix skating issues. Raz is the only player that has improved to any large extent but he started also from a really low level.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00