Rumor: Zadina on the Market?

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Reactions: evolutionbaby

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Zadina gets replaced on the first line after the team loses a game in which they allowed 10 goals and the coach talked about hating the vibe during practice and leading up to the game...by a player on an expiring contract that many people have theorized would be the most tradeable asset on the team.

Yes, Zadina was the clear showcase, and this has nothing to do with a disgruntled coach making changes, nor does it have to do with showcasing the actual rental possibility for a playoff contender.

Should not be ruled out that Zadina could be on the move, but also it seems like picking the least likely scenario by ignoring the greater context.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
What a horrible trade idea
Why is it horrible? Hronek has no future in Detroit past his current contract. We get a vet RD with 3 years of term, ahead of the offseason, to play along side Edvinsson and maybe we get the worse of Montreal's 1st rounders in the process. Petry will shine away from the mess that has gone on for him in Montreal since his family left him alone there.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
I saw that someone mentioned Petry in the comments. I wonder if there could be a double Filip move to Montreal for Petry and maybe a B prospect or pick?

Timing would seem a little weird, but if Yzerman thinks its time to get aggressive then maybe it is worth exploring. Petry has had a terrible year and he is in his mid 30's now. I think Yzerman will wait until at least next year to get aggressive. Tampa, Florida and Toronto are all still teams that are well ahead of the Wings and aren't likely to majorly decline anytime soon. Boston is the only team in the division that I can see really taking a nosedive in the near future.

Reactions: 14ari13

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I see several options if you're trading Zadina:

Find another struggling early 20s player and hope the change of scenery helps. Potentially you get nothing of value here. Maybe get a Fabbri.

Trade for a clear team upgrade but the player is older and perhaps not a long-term piece. Someone like Petry. Definitely helps the team in the immediate timeframe but less attractive long-term. Also adds salary.

Longshot draft pick like a late 2nd rounder that helps the team in 3 years at the earliest.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Timing would seem a little weird, but if Yzerman thinks its time to get aggressive then maybe it is worth exploring. Petry has had a terrible year and he is in his mid 30's now. I think Yzerman will wait until at least next year to get aggressive. Tampa, Florida and Toronto are all still teams that are well ahead of the Wings and aren't likely to majorly decline anytime soon. Boston is the only team in the division that I can see really taking a nosedive in the near future.
I think Petry at 3 years of term, with our salary cap situation, would be a perfect vet compliment. His contract would expire when Edvinsson is ready to sign a new deal, so the money would be immediately there. It's a great stop gap and an improvement over Leddy.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Petry has had a terrible year and he is in his mid 30's now.

I can't speak for this firsthand but I hear he's bounced back to usual form since the coaching change. But again that's just blogger insight, I haven't been paying close enough attention to know if that's true.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I can't speak for this firsthand but I hear he's bounced back to usual form since the coaching change. But again that's just blogger insight, I haven't been paying close enough attention to know if that's true.
During the 5 game win streak he looked to be getting back to his old form. The last game was a bit of a throw away, cause Montembault decided to Cosplay a piece of swiss cheese and it all just went downhill after that.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
During the 5 game win streak he looked to be getting back to his old form. The last game was a bit of a throw away, cause Montembault decided to Cosplay a piece of swiss cheese and it all just went downhill after that.

I've watched a ton of Petry over the years and I've always thought he was such a smart and stable defender. It's hard for me to believe he completely fell off (although that does happen time to time). So I'm biased. Not going to sugarcoat that.

He's being tasked a near impossible mission in Montreal right now. It actually reminds me of when he was in Edmonton and people thought he sucked and was overrated there, too.

All of this is to say I'd be pretty happy getting a guy of his caliber, even at his age, straight up for someone struggling as hard as Zadina.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
I think Petry at 3 years of term, with our salary cap situation, would be a perfect vet compliment. His contract would expire when Edvinsson is ready to sign a new deal, so the money would be immediately there. It's a great stop gap and an improvement over Leddy.

Leddy, DeKeyser, Stecher and Staal are all on expiring deals, leaving this team with no highly experienced D in the top 4. So I don't hate the idea of bringing in a guy like Petry if you want to try and really improve right away. I just don't know that the time is now. But on the other hand, he is much more flippable than a guy like Leddy. Interesting.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Leddy, DeKeyser, Stecher and Staal are all on expiring deals, leaving this team with no highly experienced D in the top 4. So I don't hate the idea of bringing in a guy like Petry if you want to try and really improve right away. I just don't know that the time is now. But on the other hand, he is much more flippable than a guy like Leddy. Interesting.
Definitely an intriguing possibility, for sure. To me if Petry has 3 years left in him to play better defensively than Hronek has with better offensive upside than what Leddy has shown, this year...then I trade Hronek/Zadina for Petry and the worse of the two 1st rounders that Montreal has (they currently have Calgary's and Carolina's). The only question is whether Petry has enough in the tank and whether he'll get a couple years of bounce from being reunited with his family and coming home.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Definitely an intriguing possibility, for sure. To me if Petry has 3 years left in him to play better defensively than Hronek has with better offensive upside than what Leddy has shown, this year...then I trade Hronek/Zadina for Petry and the worse of the two 1st rounders that Montreal has (they currently have Calgary's and Carolina's). The only question is whether Petry has enough in the tank and whether he'll get a couple years of bounce from being reunited with his family and coming home.
i'm not following. Why is MTL sending 1sts and Petry again? Certainly not just for Zadina.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Could be, but it is pretty rock bottom as we speak. 3rd line kinda guy. Those are not very valueable. A 2nd round pick could be anything, with Zadina you have an NHL'er.

I don't think it is anywhere near rock bottom yet. With each passing stretch of games that he doesn't produce it drops a little more and changes him from a prospect to an established player. I'd keep him too, unless there is an available option of another player that seems as though they may also benefit from a change of scenery.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Why would Detroit do this again? Petry is old and certainly we could get more if were to trade Zadina and Hronek separately. I don't see the appeal here. There are cheaper vet options on D in free agency every year.
It's a matter of the fit, having a solid vet presence for Edvinsson, and the term is perfect for our salary cap. If we get the worse of the two 1sts to go with Petry, it's a solid move. Hronek isn't lasting to another contract and Zadina needs a change of scenery. You're getting the veteran stop gap that we need for our top 4, plus a late 1st rounder.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
It's a matter of the fit, having a solid vet presence for Edvinsson, and the term is perfect for our salary cap. If we get the worse of the two 1sts to go with Petry, it's a solid move. Hronek isn't lasting to another contract and Zadina needs a change of scenery. You're getting the veteran stop gap that we need for our top 4, plus a late 1st rounder.
wouldn't we be able to get more trading Zadina and Hronek separately and getting a vet D during FA?

Reactions: iDangleDangle

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Wing's would be crazy to deal him now. Pennies on the dollar ,like the ruble. He may only bring a 3rd rder
How is the market going to get any better? Zadina has not shown too much on the top line and each year gets closer to either selling him for next to nothing or losing him for nothing. I just don’t think it’s going to get any better from here

Reactions: Gniwder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad