Rumor: Zadina on the Market?

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
wouldn't we be able to get more trading Zadina and Hronek separately and getting a vet D during FA?
If Zadina is getting traded for a change of scenery it would be for a similar player. So the way I see it...is that a late first is not as equal for Zadina...but Petry is higher value than Hronek. Combined, I would think they would equal out and would potentially help us to sustain a longer stretch of playoff success as the player we draft with the 1st rounder wouldn't be ready until after Petry is gone, but we get the veteran RD we need for the next 2-3 years. It's an upgrade on Hronek and a better risk than trading Zadina for someone in a similar spot as him (change of scenery player) who may not pan out. At least with the draft pick you are getting the chance to maybe even package it with our existing pick for a higher one in this coming draft for a player we really want or just get two first round picks. I just don't know that we would get fair value for Zadina, but making up for it with the upgrade on Hronek, to me, makes up for it.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Wing's would be crazy to deal him now. Pennies on the dollar ,like the ruble. He may only bring a 3rd rder

I don't get this logic. Just because he was drafted high doesn't mean he always had some value that is much higher than what it is currently and that Yzerman should wait until it climbs back. If Yzerman was only getting offered a 3rd then I'm sure he'd just pass and hold.

It was a common opinion that trading Mantha last year was very bad timing and look how that turned out.

Reactions: golffuul

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
If Zadina is getting traded for a change of scenery it would be for a similar player. So the way I see it...is that a late first is not as equal for Zadina...but Petry is higher value than Hronek. Combined, I would think they would equal out and would potentially help us to sustain a longer stretch of playoff success as the player we draft with the 1st rounder wouldn't be ready until after Petry is gone, but we get the veteran RD we need for the next 2-3 years. It's an upgrade on Hronek and a better risk than trading Zadina for someone in a similar spot as him (change of scenery player) who may not pan out. At least with the draft pick you are getting the chance to maybe even package it with our existing pick for a higher one in this coming draft for a player we really want or just get two first round picks. I just don't know that we would get fair value for Zadina, but making up for it with the upgrade on Hronek, to me, makes up for it.
Unless Petry makes us a contender (he doesn't) I don't see any point in trading assets for him. Given that, I think it would be more beneficial selling Zadina/Hronek on their own.

Reactions: iDangleDangle

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Unless Petry makes us a contender (he doesn't) I don't see any point in trading assets for him. Given that, I think it would be more beneficial selling Zadina/Hronek on their own.
I'm curious as to what you think we will get by selling them off separately. Not trying to be belligerent about it, I'm actually curious. Hronek is, for us, a 3rd pair d-man with 2nd PP potential and Zadina is, currently, a 3rd line winger that can play up and down the lineup as needed. Zadina has the higher ceiling of the two, as I think Hronek simply doesn't have the skating/speed/Hockey IQ to get any better than a 4-5-6 dman with a right shot.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I'm curious as to what you think we will get by selling them off separately. Not trying to be belligerent about it, I'm actually curious. Hronek is, for us, a 3rd pair d-man with 2nd PP potential and Zadina is, currently, a 3rd line winger that can play up and down the lineup as needed. Zadina has the higher ceiling of the two, as I think Hronek simply doesn't have the skating/speed/Hockey IQ to get any better than a 4-5-6 dman with a right shot.
Not much, but I would wager its more than a single 1st. I'm in the camp of not trading them however. It just doesn't make sense to me to trade BOTH of them for Petry (an asset that doesn't help us) and a single 1st.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I'm up for moving Zadina and Hronek for sure but like people keep preaching... Not really for a 3rd rdp.

A dream package for a legit younger defender/center is what we all want!

Reactions: AK_47

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Not much, but I would wager its more than a single 1st. I'm in the camp of not trading them however. It just doesn't make sense to me to trade BOTH of them for Petry (an asset that doesn't help us) and a single 1st.
That's fair. And there may be better deals in the summer once the lottery is set, before the draft. I just think it fills a void for us that will exist for next year and allows for Vrana to drop in seamlessly, as well as opens a winger spot on the depth chart for Berggren and/or Soderblom.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I don't get this logic. Just because he was drafted high doesn't mean he always had some value that is much higher than what it is currently and that Yzerman should wait until it climbs back. If Yzerman was only getting offered a 3rd then I'm sure he'd just pass and hold.

It was a common opinion that trading Mantha last year was very bad timing and look how that turned out.

Well to be fair, that offer from Washington was an appropriate offer for Mantha even when he was playing at his best. I was one of Mantha’s staunchest supporters and advocates for keeping him and I can say without a doubt that the deal was worth making.

The notion of a player being made available via trade as a “change of scenery” option, when we all know they are performing below expectations or hopes, leaves a crack for a sell low proposition. It’s something that many people have very little interest in risking. If you could guarantee that you’re getting someone 22 or younger in maybe a similar boat to Zadina, that may be appetizing, but the way that Zadina’s availability has been discussed (around here particularly) is that of a disappointment and time to move on. That’s likely bad for business and how you end up giving up Fabbri for De La Rose

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
I see several options if you're trading Zadina:

Find another struggling early 20s player and hope the change of scenery helps. Potentially you get nothing of value here. Maybe get a Fabbri.

Trade for a clear team upgrade but the player is older and perhaps not a long-term piece. Someone like Petry. Definitely helps the team in the immediate timeframe but less attractive long-term. Also adds salary.

Longshot draft pick like a late 2nd rounder that helps the team in 3 years at the earliest.

Losing Zadina long term isn't all that bad though. He's a 25-30 point winger. Those guys quite literally grow on trees.
(We need someone here with better photoshop skills than me to prove it)

There are quite literally dozens of players that can be signed or traded for to replace Zadina's current production.
2022 NHL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Well to be fair, that offer from Washington was an appropriate offer for Mantha even when he was playing at his best. I was one of Mantha’s staunchest supporters and advocates for keeping him and I can say without a doubt that the deal was worth making.

The notion of a player being made available via trade as a “change of scenery” option, when we all know they are performing below expectations or hopes, leaves a crack for a sell low proposition. It’s something that many people have very little interest in risking. If you could guarantee that you’re getting someone 22 or younger in maybe a similar boat to Zadina, that may be appetizing, but the way that Zadina’s availability has been discussed (around here particularly) is that of a disappointment and time to move on. That’s likely bad for business and how you end up giving up Fabbri for De La Rose

I meant before he was traded. It was a prevailing opinion that his value was low at that time. It turned out that someone was willing to pay an awful lot. I loved the trade for the Red Wings!

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Losing Zadina long term isn't all that bad though. He's a 25-30 point winger. Those guys quite literally grow on trees.
(We need someone here with better photoshop skills than me to prove it)

There are quite literally dozens of players that can be signed or traded for to replace Zadina's current production.
2022 NHL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac

Specific to the dime a dozen guys you are referring to:

How many of those guys will command less money than Zadina? How many of those guys fit the age range of our core? How many of those players still have developmental years in front of them?

The answer is none of them.

Do you know how you get Elias Lindholm scoring at a 30 goal, 70+ point pace for $4.85 million per year for 6 years? You sign him after he was a toss in part of a trade after barely scratching a half a point per game pace. Mind you, Lindholm didn’t break out until his age 24 year with almost 400 career games played. Zadina just turned 22 and had…77 games entering the season.

Zadina shouldn’t command more than half the salary, and we don’t have an abundance of young wingers in the system. You have Berggren and that’s about it on the verge of making an impact within the next 10 months max. Soderblom is probably another season away if I had to guess.

Again, if he brings back something worthwhile, I’ll do it. But people need to stop painting the picture that Zadina is easily replaceable. His production is easily replaceable, his position in the organization is not nearly as easy to replace. Your best bet to replace him is to draft someone in the top 10-12 this year and wait 3 years to get an idea if you are getting any real increase in dividends on your investment.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021

Well Mantha had almost double the output that Zadina has in same time frame and Mantha is also 5 inches taller and 30 lb's heavier

Crunchy

Jan 27, 2020
Vrana was playing 3rd/4th line on a very deep Washington team that won a cup that year. He wasn't put in the same position in the lineup as Zadina currently is.

Jakub Vrana Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
Filip Zadina Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Vrana didn't hit above 14 minutes PT until the following season. He was also a rookie in that season.

Players develop in different situations and at different speeds is the point. You can create situational arguments for anyone and everyone.

Zadina is still 8th in total points across the entire 2018 draft. Yes it's a weak draft, but call me crazy, I think there is still a lot of developing to go for that draft. Zadina is no different.

Zadina may well never improve, but patience is the move.

Reactions: LucaBrasil

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Outside fan here

Just curious what the issues with his game are? I remember watching his junior games and world juniors thinking he was gonna be a stud

Is it skating, strength, work ethic, IQ?

Thanks in advance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad