Rumor: Zadina on the Market?

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Why would he not be here?
Because he's showing that his defensive ability, due to his lack of hockey IQ/skating/physicality, is that of a 4-5-6 defenseman with 2nd PP aspirations. And at almost 4.5M AAV, and being an RFA at the end of his deal, his qualifying offer would be 5.5M. He is not worth 5.5M+ on his next deal, to us, when we will need to start managing our salary cap by the time his deal is done.

Reactions: DoMakc

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Outside fan here

Just curious what the issues with his game are? I remember watching his junior games and world juniors thinking he was gonna be a stud

Is it skating, strength, work ethic, IQ?

Thanks in advance

Straight line speed and physical strength have hampered him. Lack of deception in his shot. Quickness of his decision making.

I don’t know that there are many players on the Wings who work harder than Zadina. He transformed his game to be a quality defensive forward who really does care about that side of the game. He works hard, but sometimes it results in tunnel vision and trying to do it all himself. Which sometimes he is left with terrible linemates and probably does need to do it all himself.

Reactions: BSHH

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don’t know that there are many players on the Wings who work harder than Zadina. He transformed his game to be a quality defensive forward who really does care about that side of the game. He works hard, but sometimes it results in tunnel vision and trying to do it all himself. Which sometimes he is left with terrible linemates and probably does need to do it all himself.
Kirk Maltby was a 50 goal scorer in juniors. Just ask Mickey Redmond.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why is it horrible? Hronek has no future in Detroit past his current contract. We get a vet RD with 3 years of term, ahead of the offseason, to play along side Edvinsson and maybe we get the worse of Montreal's 1st rounders in the process. Petry will shine away from the mess that has gone on for him in Montreal since his family left him alone there.

Cause Petry is 34 and has a terrible contract and is playing poorly.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Outside fan here

Just curious what the issues with his game are? I remember watching his junior games and world juniors thinking he was gonna be a stud

Is it skating, strength, work ethic, IQ?

Thanks in advance
Doesn't go to hard areas, doesn't always skate hard, his shot seems to have disappeared, he kills plays routinely by missing the net or shooting the puck into the goalie's chest, he's weak on the puck. He has a lot of issues.

I'm not totally convinced he can be written off yet but I'm getting there... and I was pretty high on him when the Wings took him.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Doesn't go to hard areas, doesn't always skate hard, his shot seems to have disappeared, he kills plays routinely by missing the net or shooting the puck into the goalie's chest, he's weak on the puck. He has a lot of issues.

I'm not totally convinced he can be written off yet but I'm getting there... and I was pretty high on him when the Wings took him.

The past 4-5 games he has been in the crease area quite a bit, which is a change. If we are trading him, it better be for either a similar player who needs a change of scenery or as part of a bigger trade to improve our current team by a decent bit. Trading him for a 2nd round pick is a silly waste of an asset that could still get it going. He still just barely over 100 career games spread over 4 seasons.

Reactions: lilidk

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If we are trading him, it better be for either a similar player who needs a change of scenery or as part of a bigger trade to improve our current team by a decent bit.
If it's the latter, is there a big fish out there that a team would be willing to deal?

Like hypothetically, if Detroit packaged Zadina + Hronek + their 1st this year... What caliber player does that return, and is it enough of a boost that Detroit would do it?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If it's the latter, is there a big fish out there that a team would be willing to deal?

Like hypothetically, if Detroit packaged Zadina + Hronek + their 1st this year... What caliber player does that return, and is it enough of a boost that Detroit would do it?

I would hope for a a Top 4 blueliner or Top line or thereabouts forward for that package.

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022

They should get Horvat+ for that. I'd be happy if make it a 2nd instead of a 1st for Horvat with an extension. I wonder if Rutherford has a dug himself a bit of a hole here by letting it be known he is willing to listen to offers for his Captain. I don't know why he did that.

Last edited:

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Not surprised if it's true. He has picked his offense up the last handful of games. I'm not sure if it's inspired by the TDL one way the other, but it's bound to raise *some* interest because of where he was drafted and his age. Whether or not anyone actually calls on that interest, I'm not sure.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Because he's showing that his defensive ability, due to his lack of hockey IQ/skating/physicality, is that of a 4-5-6 defenseman with 2nd PP aspirations. And at almost 4.5M AAV, and being an RFA at the end of his deal, his qualifying offer would be 5.5M. He is not worth 5.5M+ on his next deal, to us, when we will need to start managing our salary cap by the time his deal is done.

I guess we will see. He was doing quite well last season and maybe it's more about having the right d-partner and finding your game again. I'm not saying he will be a beast, but there is a reason he was given the deal. He might not get an increase in salary, but if he doesn't get it in Detroit he's not getting it elsewhere, so re-signing him is still on the table.

My biggest issue is more Yzerman's normally great integrity in this current situation, as it would be a lot more beneficial for the franchise to be worse this year and have a shot at the number one overall pick for a super talented kid in a position of need.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
This feels like one of those two players that need a change of scenery trades. Zadina is either a complete bust or needs something he is not getting here. I think its pointless to keep waiting at this point I don't see the potential anymore. Hope he finds a situation he can thrive in and we get a piece we can gamble on.

And why are people trying to turn this into a 34 year old D lol that is the last thing a rebuild needs.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
This feels like one of those two players that need a change of scenery trades. Zadina is either a complete bust or needs something he is not getting here. I think its pointless to keep waiting at this point I don't see the potential anymore. Hope he finds a situation he can thrive in and we get a piece we can gamble on.

And why are people trying to turn this into a 34 year old D lol that is the last thing a rebuild needs.

Same. People were saying it was too soon to give up on Lias Andersson last year and look where he is. Then look at Brett Connolly. Sometimes these guys don’t pan out and you turn your top 10 pick into a couple 2nds. It sucks but sometimes you need to move on.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Well Mantha had almost double the output that Zadina has in same time frame and Mantha is also 5 inches taller and 30 lb's heavier

The point is that, even though we think they're value is much lower than what it could be, we don't know what the rest of the NHL is thinking about the player.

Reactions: 14ari13

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011

Because we have zero veterans signed after this season, on Defense. And Petry, IMO, only looks bad this season because of everything that has gone on for him, between the super restrictive lockdowns in Quebec and his family moving back to the US because of the restrictions leaving him alone in Montreal.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
What if the trade was...

Hronek + Zadina + Buium/Tuomisto/McIsaac + 2nd

for

Suzuki + Petry

Or

Caulfield + Romanov + Petry

?

Ad

Upcoming events