Rumor: Zadina on the Market?

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
If the asset is Zadina... I kinda feel like that's becoming close to free at this point. Would Zadina return anything more than a 3rd round pick if we put a value on him?

Like Zadina has one more season until his value is basically nothing. I don't know if that's entirely fair or not but that's where we are at.
Is he a bust?

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Yzerman signed Ras for 3 years at 1.46 per, he had 38 points in 102 games (.37 ppg compared to Zadina's current 54/138 for .39). I'd be alright if we could get him signed for 3 years under 2 million, he's a useful middle six winger with the potential to break out. Might even go a little higher, it's better than a lot of other options.

Always fun to see Yzerman make a trade though.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Relative to his draft position? So far, yes.

That doesn't mean he can't be a useful NHL player on a winning team.
Yeah, but not for a Cup contender. Zadina doesn't look like the type of player that would excel in the playoffs when things get physical. This team has a whole bunch of smaller players that have shown more grit like Fabbri, Raymond (willing to go anywhere to score a goal), and Namestnikov. Even Gagner has thrown punches, lol.

Hard to believe that Zadina weighs 197 and Erne 211 when they both play like 170lbs.

Same issue I had with Cholol.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
But... If you don't think he's any good, isn't the logical conclusion that you should move him for a chance at something better. Even if that chance is very low you get something better, that's still a risk worth taking assuming you're confident that the current asset has plateaued.

Like I don't think we should give up on Zadina yet either, but if someone else doesn't see any hope, then they are acting perfectly reasonable by suggesting dumping him for magic beans.

Player evaluation though isn't that binary. There is a ton of room between "not very good" and "great" and most NHL players fall somewhere in between. Let say you conclude that Zadina is a league average third-line winger (or even slightly below that). The Wings still need third liners! We are not going to run out 9 forwards every night. Moreover, even if you think you can easily replace his production in free agency you still need to do so for the same cost to actually come out ahead in the end.

You are talking to a lover of draft picks, but even I have the patience to allow a player to play more than 138 NHL games before cutting bait with him for a nominal return (regardless of the imperfections in their game). If less than two full seasons of NHL games is the make or break point, I hope we hold our other prospects to the same standards and are willing to watch the turnstile spin. Joey V is up next!

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Yes, but at the same time if you are looking at next year's roster and seeing Zadina likely being pushed further down/out by the likes of Berggren it makes sense to seriously explore some trade options now before his value further falls.

thanks. I'm old.
Me too. Seider and Raymond are younger than my kids. Lol.

Reactions: Winger98

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't know about that. Jiri Hudler had a place on one.

I still believe Zadina could end up around that ballpark.

Djoos has a Cup ring as well, but just because a player has a ring doesn't necessarily mean that's what teams are looking for...

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Djoos has a Cup ring as well, but just because a player has a ring doesn't necessarily mean that's what teams are looking for...

I know you said your brain is fried, but this feels like a lazy strawman response. You know I didn't mean anyone can win a Cup as a passenger.

I meant they can contribute. The way Hudler did - with a style not suited for the playoffs. That was your argument, that a team can't win with that type of guy. And we had one on our team before and I enjoyed his time here as a depth player.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I don't know about that. Jiri Hudler had a place on one.

I still believe Zadina could end up around that ballpark.

Happy was leaps and bounds more talented. All while being smaller. Hudler would take a hit to make a play and play chippy from time to time. Zadina doesn’t have the same tenacity.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Player evaluation though isn't that binary. There is a ton of room between "not very good" and "great" and most NHL players fall somewhere in between. Let say you conclude that Zadina is a league average third-line winger (or even slightly below that). The Wings still need third liners! We are not going to run out 9 forwards every night. Moreover, even if you think you can easily replace his production in free agency you still need to do so for the same cost to actually come out ahead in the end.

You are talking to a lover of draft picks, but even I have the patience to allow a player to play more than 138 NHL games before cutting bait with him for a nominal return (regardless of the imperfections in their game). If less than two full seasons of NHL games is the make or break point, I hope we hold our other prospects to the same standards and are willing to watch the turnstile spin. Joey V is up next!

This feels like an argument against something that I'm not talking about. Remember I said this:

I don't think we should give up on Zadina yet either

I'm on team Zadina, if we're picking teams. I was merely explaining to you that people want to jettison him not because they are "haters" but because they have made their evaluation already and determined this is it. I don't agree, but if I did think that way, then I'm saying it's perfectly reasonable to trade him for magic beans and that's not a "hater" move. It's reasonable if you think he's easily replaceable and will continue to be so.

You asserted:

[posters are] not motivated by a desire to use him to improve the organization, they just want to dump him because they don't like him or because they don't think he is any good

Yeah, they don't think he's any good. And moving him for literally anything is a "desire to use him to improve the organization."

Again, I don't agree, I'm just trying to cut to the heart of the conversation and understand where everyone is coming from.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Happy was leaps and bounds more talented. All while being smaller. Hudler would take a hit to make a play and play chippy from time to time. Zadina doesn’t have the same tenacity.

That was Hudler at his best. He wasn't always that way.

It's no argument that Zadina would need to improve significantly to reach Red Wing Hudler levels. That's not the argument. The argument was if you can win with "perimeter players" and I think we saw that you can. But I don't think we're seeing Zadina's peak, especially on a team with an incredible supporting cast, the luxury Hudler had during those playoff runs.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Brett Connolly has a cup ring too, scored 6 goals on the cup run. Decent parallel? hope we can get a trade package like that at least :)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I know you said your brain is fried, but this feels like a lazy strawman response. You know I didn't mean anyone can win a Cup as a passenger.

I meant they can contribute. The way Hudler did - with a style not suited for the playoffs. That was your argument, that a team can't win with that type of guy. And we had one on our team before and I enjoyed his time here as a depth player.

Zadina is a passenger, seriously dude, he's a passenger on a .500 team. He gets point when he's with the best linemates, nothing otherwise. Tell me I'm wrong. On a sub average team at that, on a Cup team he's a burden at best.

Brett Connolly has a cup ring too, scored 6 goals on the cup run. Decent parallel? hope we can get a trade package like that at least :)
Brett has size and decent skating. (In my judgement I would say slightly above average for NHL) With a discounted contract he wound up on a really good 3rd line. Zadina can't skate, and plays to half his listed size.

FYI, Stevie traded BC for 2 seconds, he was picked up by the Caps as a UFA for cheap, $850k which is more than what Zadina is making now. He was on a contract for $1.5M when he won the Cup which is less than what Raz gets paid.

So yeah, maybe Zadina gets picked up for what amounts to be league min somewhere along the lines like Svech did. Who cares.

Connolly's salary history so you don't have to look it up:
Brett Connolly Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Not gonna lie I'd rather have a 2nd round pick, sadly

If you think someones not very good and you're in rebuild still. Most would take the 2nd rdp.

Guys that wouldn't trade/move him still think he'll be a good player... or worst(hope.)

It's the crux of the Zadina argument at this point. If you think he's a bottom six winger then... yeah you'll take a 2nd rdp for a chance at someone. You can replace a bottom six winger literally with a couple million dollars in FA.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
The writing on the wall with Zadina and what little this regime thinks of him is really starting to show

LazyT

Feb 24, 2010
Michigan.
What’s everyone’s thoughts on a Zadina for Comtois swap? Maybe a small add here or there. To me it seems interesting and worth exploring. And we have an inside man with Verbeek there.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why on earth does anyone want Debrusk? He is older and no better than Zadina. All Debrusk would do is become the replacement player for everyone to complain about. That and he makes 3.675 which is nearly 3 times what Zadina is getting paid.

Reactions: NORiculous

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad