Confirmed with Link: Zack Smith signed to 4 year extension

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Considering our former scout who drafted Smith from the WHL is the Vegas head scout now, and the fact the George McPhee loves Smith type players, you wonder if this made Dorion get this deal signed before Vegas can talk to any players?

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Fantastic deal, definite home town discount. 25 goals last year, on pace for 20 this year in a defensive system without playing the PP. Add that to the fact he can play anywhere in the middle 6, in any position, decent leader, plays PK and tough game. 3.25 is amazing for that package.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I figured he'd get between 3 and 4 mills/yr over 4 years, so he falls in the lower end of my bracket. Happy with this deal.

Wonder how much the two goals he scored last night added to his eventual deal. :D

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I figured he'd get between 3 and 4 mills/yr over 4 years, so he falls in the lower end of my bracket. Happy with this deal.

Wonder how much the two goals he scored last night added to his eventual deal. :D

When you think we all thought Ceci would minimum $3.5 and Smith 3.8 that's over a million in cap saved on two contracts, amazing.

hooknshoot

Dipsy Doodle
Nov 23, 2014
Canada
That's very good value

aa55cfb36d05ec5786887db184116fd351f348d3bfad985a9d29b0fabbd72857.jpg

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Wow. Feel kind of guilty on this one. He's been one of our best allround guys. (This coming from me who was fine with trading him a couple years ago).
Hope he keeps it up. Great news.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Love this deal. Find it ironic we were just talking yesterday about keeping him, was thinking 3.5 a season would be ideal/minimum he would sign for. A quarter of a mill cheaper and for the term I can't complain.

Keep doing what you're doing Smitty.

CornerStone61

Apr 13, 2015
Only posting this here as I've seen the expansion draft mentioned in regards to Smith now and whether he'd be protected. In terms of Ryan Dzingel however,

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Taken from: https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592

Does this take into account AHL years or is it strictly NHL years? If only NHL years then wouldn't Dzingel be exempt since he's only played in parts of 2 seasons for the big club?

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Only posting this here as I've seen the expansion draft mentioned in regards to Smith now and whether he'd be protected. In terms of Ryan Dzingel however,

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Does this take into account AHL years or is it strictly NHL years? If only NHL years then wouldn't Dzingel be exempt since he's only played in parts of 2 seasons for the big club?

Believe it includes AHL.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014

Professional includes NHL and AHL

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
He earned it but unfortunately as we see players get new contracts they tend to play a lot worse seeing as how they have that blanket of comfort. I expect Smith's play to now steadily decline and eventually they'll be looking to get him off their books just like they did with Greening.

your glass is more than 1/2 empty

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
For the $, this is too long of a term. Would have been much more comfortable with this $ on a two year deal, three at most.

I do wonder if this one could come back and bite us. Are we overpaying for Zach Smith points wise?

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
For the $, this is too long of a term. Would have been much more comfortable with this $ on a two year deal, three at most.

I do wonder if this one could come back and bite us. Are we overpaying for Zach Smith points wise?

Nah I don't think that at all. If he tested free agency he would probably get 3.5-4 mill on a 2-3 year deal.

He brings other tangibles than points, he's earned this contract and until he proves otherwise it's a great deal today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad