Confirmed with Link: Zack Smith signed to 4 year extension

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Me too, be really tough on Dorin to wait. If he waits, he risks losing him. Smith waits, he risks Injury. I'm sure both sides left a ton on the table, money for Smith and roster flexibility with Dorion - but in the end we have a great player on a sweet contract that plays Boucher's system perfectly.

And to say to the players, if you excel, we will make you secure in Ottawa to me is the real kicker here. Dorion has gotten sweet deals of Ceci, Smith, he mined the amazing contract of Brassard.

Dorion wth straight A's so far as GM, but his next moves over the next 2 months will be key. He has an eye on cheap contracts, I'm betting we get Landeskog just because that deal is sweet and the player has so much leadership, he seems to be what Ottawa is about right now.

No to Straight As. I think NYR robbed us with the Zibanejad-Brassard trade. Signing Smith could be done by any GM.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
Awesome deal! Smith discovered a new gear last year and he's definitely one of our best forwards.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Ryan won't get claimed, Dorion himself said that.

Because we're protecting him? Otherwise, that's kind of insulting to say.

"You're so bad they wouldn't take you for free!"

But yeah, definitely think Smith could've found 4-4.5 mil over 5 years somewhere.

Rooverick*

Jan 5, 2008
Great signing and awesome to see that Smith loves it enough here to take a hometown discount.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Wow, I'm going to say Smith left $4 million on the table. He easily gets +$4 million in Free Agency.

Dorion doing a great job. Boucher doing a great job. Players doing a great job.

I'm guessing this means they trade Dzingel for talent. He's gone in the protection draft.

Dzingel, White, 1st and you suddenly have a package you can get a star player with.

If he goes for 4 mil i dont think he gets 4 years. I think the deal is fair. 4 years is a long time for a guy like smith

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Meh, wish it were a year shorter, but the $3.25 million per season isn't too high an overpayment, even if the guy's offensive production being more than an average third liner's is heavily tied to being with Mark Stone.

I'm not thrilled, but not upset. Middle of the road.

So does this mean that Ryan and Lazar are both likely to be exposed? Can't say that upsets me at all.

Awesome deal! Smith discovered a new gear last year and he's definitely one of our best forwards.

If by "gear" you mean he discovered what it's like to be on Mark Stone's line, then sure, let's call it that.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I don't think so. I don't want to lock up players to any more bad contracts. Give him term but don't break the bank. 3-3.2 x 4 is fair. Anymore and he becomes expected to consistently produce at his best. Give him more money and maybe he thinks he's a scorer a la Clarkson.

Either Smith or Dorion read HFB. :nod:

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Meh, wish it were a year shorter, but the $3.25 million per season isn't too high an overpayment, even if the guy's offensive production being more than an average third liner's is heavily tied to being with Mark Stone.

I'm not thrilled, but not upset. Middle of the road.

So does this mean that Ryan and Lazar are both likely to be exposed? Can't say that upsets me at all.

Ryan will be exposed but Vegas won't pick him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If he goes for 4 mil i dont think he gets 4 years. I think the deal is fair. 4 years is a long time for a guy like smith

At that money I think its is very favorable to the Sens. Smith has more than one dimension to his game. If he falls off a little he will remain a quality bottom 6er.

Nairbo

Nov 15, 2010
I'm really happy about this signing. Standup dude and that contract is favorable.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I'm really happy about this signing. Standup dude and that contract is favorable.

And he's Canadian, a western boy, and home grown. I don't know why I care about that stuff, but I do. It's stupid, but I like it when we sign Canadian born and bread CHL players

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
If I'm in the locker room and a guy like Smitty signs a deal like this, that means a ton to me. Shows me that one of our leaders is putting the team first. Classy move that will have intangible ramnificstions.

Also, I too believe we could see Dzingel packaged for an upgrade. He's our 8th best forward and I think he will want more than he's worth.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Cosmix

New York wanted more for Brassard as for Ny robbing us would not say that until they resign him long term.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
He earned it but unfortunately as we see players get new contracts they tend to play a lot worse seeing as how they have that blanket of comfort. I expect Smith's play to now steadily decline and eventually they'll be looking to get him off their books just like they did with Greening.

Reactions: Deku

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
Ryan will be exposed but Vegas won't pick him.

Yeah, figured that was wishful thinking. Why would anyone take a soon-to-be 30 year old forward who's produced the way he has this year (on top of not living up to expectations since getting to Ottawa) with that much money and term left on his contract? Not to mention that he's suffered from various injuries (playing through most of them, albeit it shows) the last 4 years.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Yeah, figured that was wishful thinking. Why would anyone take a soon-to-be 30 year old forward who's produced the way he has this year (on top of not living up to expectations since getting to Ottawa) with that much money and term left on his contract? Not to mention that he's suffered from various injuries (playing through most of them, albeit it shows) the last 4 years.

One reason? He'd probably be their best forward and they won't be near the cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad