Confirmed with Link: Zack Smith signed to 4 year extension

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Very impressed with this deal. He would have absolutely gotten at least $750-1M more on the market.

I haven't read the thread yet, so I'm guessing our biggest concern in him being picked up by Vegas?

No way he's exposed.

Nice deal!

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I love Zack Smith and believe he is underated as ****.. I know its not warranted but I just feel the caphit is a tad high.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
No way. He got exactly what he deserved.

What do you mean? He would have undoubtedly gotten more on the market. And for those worried about the term, I don't really get it. He's been on an upward swing, and is about as versatile as a 3rd liners gets. At worst we can easily trade him at that price. I mean, what would you consider a hometown discount for Smith, somewhere in the $2 millions?

Glad he likely won't get exposed though.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
This post makes no sense. If you love him and believe he's underrated, how does 3.25 count as over-payment?

Man, some people are never happy.

did I say I wasn't happy?

I just feel in say year 2 or 3, everyone running praises of this contract in this thread will be the same asking why is smith making 3.25

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
What do you mean? He would have undoubtedly gotten more on the market. And for those worried about the term, I don't really get it. He's been on an upward swing, and is about as versatile as a 3rd liners gets. At worst we can easily trade him at that price. I mean, what would you consider a hometown discount for Smith, somewhere in the $2 millions?

Glad he likely won't get exposed though.
People don't get what they deserve in free agency, they get what they can.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Let's check comparable forwards on UFA years :

Name / Cap Hit

Colin Wilson $3,937,500
Andrew Shaw $3,900,000 (some RFA years though)
Cody Eakin $3,850,000 (some RFA years though)
Darren Helm $3,850,000
Matt Beleskey $3,800,000
David Perron $3,750,000
Anders Lee $3,750,000 (some RFA years though)
Patrik Berglund $3,700,000
Matt Read $3,625,000
Lars Eller $3,500,000 (some RFA years though)
David Desharnais $3,500,000
Casey Cizikas $3,350,000 (some RFA years though)
Jamie McGinn $3,333,333
Josh Bailey $3,300,000 (some RFA years though)
Matt Stajan $3,125,000
Marcus Kruger $3,083,333
Benoit Pouliot $4,000,000
Bryan Bickell $4,000,000
Carl Hagelin $4,000,000
Nikolai Kulemin $4,187,500
Justin Abdelkader $4,250,000
Craig Smith $4,250,000
Michael Frolik $4,300,000
Drew Stafford $4,350,000
Brandon Sutter $4,375,000
Alex Killorn $4,450,000
Brooks Laich $4,500,000
Troy Brouwer $4,500,000
Jori Lehtera $4,700,000

Yes definitely a hometown discount

Awesome deal. Anyone who says it's too much doesn't pay enough attention. Smith is a great hockey player.

Chris Kelly was considered overpaid at 2.1 in his prime on this board. Be prepared for anything :laugh:

I wouldnt go that far yet. Probably seal Lazars fate though.

We protect right now:
Turris
Stone
Hoffman
Brassard
Pageau
Smith
Dzingel

I'm not sure if the Sens will have the balls to leave Ryan unprotected. That could hurt their reputation to attract UFAs, which is already close to non-existent (so I guess it doesn't matter :sarcasm:)

But seriously, this is an extremely delicate situation... At the same time, does Ottawa really want to lose a guy that is 85th in NHL total points since he came to Ottawa in 2013-14, just because he is overpaid by like ~1.5? Keep in mind that teams most likely see things very differently than hockey fans

But if we were going to lose Dzingel, Pageau, Smith or Methot, then we should take the risk. Worse case scenario, 7 more millions to play with

Smith played it safe and smart. Not a hometown discount.

Based on what kind of research? :sarcasm:

Greening never looked as good as Smith imo. Not the same player.

Zack Smith is actually very good at keeping the puck on his stick. Greening couldn't handle it.

I disagree about the 3rd round pick being a vast overpayment to move up in the 1st round. It was a deep draft, and we got who we wanted. The expectation of miracles is ridiculous around here, and our opinions should have a more pragmatic approach.

:nod: Been preaching that since 2008 here.

wonder what pageau will be looking at this offseason. i imagine it will be something like smith's current deal.

Depending on the number of years, it should be lower as Pageau is still on RFA years. Something around 6.0 for 3 years

This post makes no sense. If you love him and believe he's underrated, how does 3.25 count as over-payment?

Man, some people are never happy.

Not everybody understands the NHL market. Just read the main boards. Opinions are all over the place.

People confound what they think it should be vs what the reality of the market is.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
did I say I wasn't happy?

I just feel in say year 2 or 3, everyone running praises of this contract in this thread will be the same asking why is smith making 3.25

yeah but there are enough people around here who complain about things that everything gets complained about all the time anyways. I feel like I am on a forum filled with senior citizens or something. "COMPLAINERS FUTURE".

The floor for how good Smith has to be to fulfill his contract is pretty low. Look at what other veteran bottom 6 guys get. If he is a 15 goal good ol canadian type 3rd liner he'll be worth 3.25.

SenatorsLegionary

Member of Sens Army
Oct 25, 2008
Montreal, Qc
My ideal contract for Smith was a max of $3.3-3.4M for 3 or 4 years so I'm very happy with the deal! Some of his comparables are overpaid IMO but Smith's deal is right on the money. Smith's play over the past 2 years changed my opinion of him and has shown that he's a very important player for our team, not quite a core guy but a key role player nonetheless.

I was sort of hoping that the team would have a verbal agreement with him on a new deal and then wait until after the expansion draft to officially sign him. It's a riskier play but the extra protection slot would have been nice. Does anyone see us leaving him exposed if the team chooses to go the 7F/3D route?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I find people put way too much importance on pts although Smith is doing as well as can be expected putting up pts especially when he is placed with Stone. But aside from pts Smith is a very good faceoff guy, is versatile & can play wing or centre, he is very good defensively, he is hard to play against & plays with an edge & he will drop them if need be. I like everything about Smith's game & wish we had more guys who worked as hard at both ends of the ice like him, he is worth every penny & IMO deserved a lot more. Teams win cups with players like Smith on their roster. Glad to see they re-signed him & fairly quickly too. :handclap:

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Smith is a guy I really did not want to lose. Very good signing at a very reasonable price and term. It's nice to see that the former whipping boy appears to have won over the majority of fans.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Damn ,got the term but was off by 400k on amount per year.Great deal ,on a a very solid player for us:handclap:

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
"Any time there's a scrum he punched people in the head. I like that," Dorion said Monday on a conference call. "Our penalty killing has improved a lot this year. A lot of that goes on our coaching staff but a lot of it goes on our players, and Zack is an important part of our penalty kill."

Love this line - taken from TSN's write up on it.

Great deal, given the past performance.

Must admit I was definitely in the crowd of "One Season Wonder" but who knows, maybe he is solidifying his place as a legit player.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Love this line - taken from TSN's write up on it.

Great deal, given the past performance.

Must admit I was definitely in the crowd of "One Season Wonder" but who knows, maybe he is solidifying his place as a legit player.

No kidding, Smith has proved to be a good middle six player and he will be paid like one.

Smith is a 3rd line player but become a 2nd line player because he has chemistry with Stone. Well i guess we can say everybody become better with Stone. But that's Smith's reality. And i'm fine with that.

Good deal for now. Hope he live up to that contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->