Confirmed with Link: Zack Smith signed to 4 year extension

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
[B said:
Tuna99[/B];127254195]

Dorion wth straight A's so far as GMQUOTE]

Easy Tiger, let's not get too carried away. This is a fair deal. This isn't a steal of a deal. It's reasonable for both sides involved, no highway robbery going on here.

I would caution strongly giving him "A":

-We grossly overpayed for Brassard, included a 2nd rd pick for marginally equal calibre player
-Again Dorion overpayed to move up one spot in the draft w/ 3rd round pick.

Always room for improvement. I'd give him B so far. He's done good things. I would caution on calling it great tho.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
[B said:
Tuna99[/B];127254195]

Easy Tiger, let's not get too carried away. This is a fair deal. This isn't a steal of a deal. It's reasonable for both sides involved, no highway robbery going on here.

-We grossly overpayed for Brassard, included a 2nd rd pick for marginally equal calibre player

Always room for improvement. I'd give him B so far. He's done good things. I would caution on calling it great tho.

Smith could have easily fetched 4 millionth given comparables. That's a hell of a deal. And part of Brassard's value is his contract. That's a tremendous contract for a player of his ilk. To say the sens grossly overpaid is a bit much. Would have been nice if they gave up a third instead of a second. But c'est la vie.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
For the $, this is too long of a term. Would have been much more comfortable with this $ on a two year deal, three at most.

I do wonder if this one could come back and bite us. Are we overpaying for Zach Smith points wise?

Who is Chel? You are obviously not a Sens fan. I can't remember a positive post.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
I disagree about the 3rd round pick being a vast overpayment to move up in the 1st round. It was a deep draft, and we got who we wanted. The expectation of miracles is ridiculous around here, and our opinions should have a more pragmatic approach.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
always liked smith. glad he's sticking around at a really, really good price. he's been playing like the player i thought he could be before he had that injury that changed him.

wonder what pageau will be looking at this offseason. i imagine it will be something like smith's current deal.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
For the $, this is too long of a term. Would have been much more comfortable with this $ on a two year deal, three at most.

I do wonder if this one could come back and bite us. Are we overpaying for Zach Smith points wise?

This isnt 2004.. players like Smith are so valuable in todays NHL.. go look at some comparables for him (clutterbuck, Shaw, Martin etc..), we got a good deal.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
[B said:
Tuna99[/B];127254195]

Logan Brown vs Mike McLeod to me is a no brainer. McLeod has 8 goals this season and is only a point a game player, he hasn't taken his game up a notch in the OHL which he should be dominating. If McLeod is sitting as a Sens prospect with 8 goals, how would we fell about him? Brown is having a tough season injury wise, but his game when healthy is a mile ahead of McLeod. Sens need game breakers on the system, not just another solid middle of the road prospects.

If we project these player out, one is Kyle Turris (Brown a 1b 2A type centre) and Mckeod is a Zach Ssmih type bottom 6 tough player. I have no problem with the draft day trade. Dorion running our draft is a lot more successful then Tim Murray running our draft. Dorion IMO has turned out franchise around prospect wise with the last 2 drafts, we have 3 blue chip prospects in the system and 3 years ago we have 0.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
[B said:
Tuna99[/B];127254195]

Keep in mind Ny wanted more.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
People laughed at me when I said Smith would be a sen for life and his numbers would be raised to the raftersafter he retires, well we are one step closer to me laughing hahahahahahahaha

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
People laughed at me when I said Smith would be a sen for life and his numbers would be raised to the raftersafter he retires, well we are one step closer to me laughing hahahahahahahaha

Smith isn't getting his number retired.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
This is a great deal for the Sens in term and dollars and for Smith he gets security and stays where he wants to be.

Smith could have had more becoming a ufa but he likes it in Ottawa and wanted to stay. Smith is the kind of player everyone wants. I'm very happy they got this done. Zack can play on any line. I liked him when he was our 3rd/4th line centre too but he's shown he's more versatile now that he has shown he can play a top LW position which eluded him when they 1st tried him there. Even if at some point the Sens improve so much that he drops back to 3rd line duty he wouldn't hurt the team and he wouldn't be significantly overpriced. They got this contract right!

Good job Dorion!

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Always nice to feel like the players are buying into the team and taking ownership of their position with these kind of team friendly contracts. As a whole, I feel Dorion has done a great job with the extensions he has been a part of.

I will paste what I wrote in the main board thread instead of just re-writing the same thing.....

He just had an impressive 2 goal night. He's been one of Ottawa's best all around forwards and could crack 20 again this season.

I'm not surprised he was able to negotiate for a NTC considering this is a clear team friendly deal both in term and in money. Beleskey is the most recent comparable, and he only had one 20 goal season before he cashed in on a longer more expensive deal than the one Smith has just signed.

Early in this season, he had a defined role on the third line but when Hoffman got suspended he was put with Brassard and Stone and the line was too good to break up. Last year he earned himself a top 6 spot part way through the year under Dave Cameron and now we are mid way through the year and he has once again earned a spot on one of the top two lines under a different coach, Guy Boucher. Smith-Brassard-Stone has easily been the Senators best line as of late. Whenever they are on the ice, good stuff happens for Ottawa. They've played about 13 or so with that line together and Smith has been absurdly productive. He's scoring at a PPG rate with Stone and Brass, all even strength. He most likely won't keep that up, but the point is, even with some regression, Smith is for real. He's a very strong middle 6 forward who might even be a true second liner. He's brings leadership, he wants to be in Ottawa. At 3.25M, this is a fantastic signing. Glad to see it got done.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
What's the criteria for number retirement?

Hard to say, but I don't think Smith has done enough to earn that. If we retire his number we need to retire

Schaefer
Arvedson
Bonk
Yashin
Heatley
Phillips
Neil
Chara
Redden
Etc.

Do you think Smith has brought more to the team than those guys? I respect Smith, but you can't retire every guys number who has had a positive influence on your team. You'd run out of numbers.

In fact, I'd retire two guys who wore 15 before him. Heatley and McEachern, and I don't think either of those guys deserve it, so I also say no to Smith.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Fair deal. The 4 years part worries me a little bit, but as long as he doesn't get any major injuries, it should work out alright.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Smith has 28 goals and 48 points in his last 80 games.

Even more impressive he's got 7G 14P in his last 13 since Hoffman was suspended and Smith was hooked up with Stone in Hoffman's spot on the Brassard-Stone line. All even strength as well.

Realistically, the guy isn't going to finish at a 40 goal/PPG pace playing with Stone and Brassard, but I wonder if his little hot streak expedited this contract. Yeah, Smith wanted to stay here and didn't want the burden of a huge UFA contract, but if Smith's hot streak lasts a while and he finishes a 30 goal scorer (which isn't extremely likely, but isn't out of the question) that might completely change the conversation as far as what a team friendly deal should look like.

No guarantee he'll be a perpetual 20+ goal guy going forward, but it is hard not to be excited about this extension. For a guy who plays Smith's type of game, if he gets 15 goals he's more than solid at 3.25M. 3.25 is veteran third line money and right now this guy is playing like a very good second liner. It's a great situation because if he falls back down to earth well he's paid fairly, but if he continues on as he is now it'll be a great deal.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
He made the all star game. I'm not sure if that's sad or not....

Yeah, but Greening only started to suck when he was put on the GSN line. Smith is better and wouldn't suck if he was put on the... oh wait... ****... Smith was part of the GSN line...

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Very impressed with this deal. He would have absolutely gotten at least $750-1M more on the market.

I haven't read the thread yet, so I'm guessing our biggest concern in him being picked up by Vegas?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00