Player Discussion Zack Kassian

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
I think some where around 3.5 x 4 would be fair.

He fits the top line like a glove. As I understand it his also important for the atmosphere in the locker room. It matters.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
I think some where around 3.5 x 4 would be fair.

He fits the top line like a glove. As I understand it his also important for the atmosphere in the locker room. It matters.

4 years might be too much. He's turning 29 in January. His numbers are going to be inflated because he's playing with 2 of the top players in the entire league. Edmonton gave him a chance when it looked like his days in the NHL were all but over. I would go 3 years at 2.75m. Kassian knows he's in a good situation and has his life in order. Moving to a new environment especially since he is now married with a kid will probably not be ideal for him.

Reactions: o98

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
He's pretty good especially this season. I would be ok with the Oilers resigning him if the price is right. I am a little apprehensive, how many times have we seen a guys contract about to expire and they step their game up and look real good then as soon as they get signed to another contract their game takes a dive. I could make a whole list of guys in the last 10 years that this has happened with in the Oilers. Still I am willing to take the chance with Kassian and I do hope he is resigned.

o98

Feb 26, 2003
Edmonton, Alberta
4 years might be too much. He's turning 29 in January. His numbers are going to be inflated because he's playing with 2 of the top players in the entire league. Edmonton gave him a chance when it looked like his days in the NHL were all but over. I would go 3 years at 2.75m. Kassian knows he's in a good situation and has his life in order. Moving to a new environment especially since he is now married with a kid will probably not be ideal for him.
It would certainly appear that there are non-hockey reasons why the Oilers and Kassian are a good fit, and of course, several hockey reasons as well. Hopefully everyone sees that and a good deal can be hammered out.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
He's playing great now with two guys who are absolutely tearing the league apart. A year ago he was buried in the bottom six and looking to get traded. I'm not sure which one of those Kassian's is real, but you gotta hedge your bets. $3M, 3 years max.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
He's playing great now with two guys who are absolutely tearing the league apart. A year ago he was buried in the bottom six and looking to get traded. I'm not sure which one of those Kassian's is real, but you gotta hedge your bets. $3M, 3 years max.
Make it known to him that as long as he is capable of contributing to the team he will have a spot on the Oilers and can retire here.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
He fits in perfectly with 97 and 29. 97 and 29 like having him on their line.

4x3 would be perfect

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yeah

4 million every year for 3 years.

But really whats the right way to say that?

just being specific: 4M/3Y?

Anyway the right way to say it is to give him less money. $4M for a career third-liner who is shooting more than 10% above his career norms playing with two of the best players in the league is a bad contract.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
4.0x3

But I'm hoping closer to 3.0x4

Id rather pay more on shorter term just based on his playing still

just being specific: 4M/3Y?

Anyway the right way to say it is to give him less money. $4M for a career third-liner who is shooting more than 10% above his career norms playing with two of the best players in the league is a bad contract.

I let McDavid and Drai make this call. Do you guys want to play with kassian for 3 more years.

If their happy with him riding shotgun on their wing he will always put up points regardless.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
4x3 is too much, he knows he's a 4th line scrub without McDrai and even said he'll be sitting on the couch remembering the glory days . If we had no cap I'd pay him whatever he wanted but let's be realistic 3m is honestly the tops, put him on the top line of any other team and he'll never put up the amount of points he has.
Start at 2.5 negotiate to 2.75 settle at 2.8

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I let McDavid and Drai make this call. Do you guys want to play with kassian for 3 more years.

If their happy with him riding shotgun on their wing he will always put up points regardless.

And that's exactly why you don't overpay him.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If I’m Ken Holland, I’m offering Kassian the Chiasson contract (with extra term on the table). $4.0 is WAY too much. Above 3.0, and you wish him the best of luck on his new team.

2.5 x 4 is a really fair contract for both sides. No GM is going to pay him for McDrai points. Just like Maroon didn’t get paid.
The Oilers chose Lucic over Maroon. Don't think it was ever about money or term

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad