Player Discussion Zack Kassian

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Well all saw what a difference maker he could be in the playoffs. I never forgot. I always beleived. Hang onto the Kassassin for life, we got a player here who loves being here, and who's just crazy enough to stab someone for McDavid's honor.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Well all saw what a difference maker he could be in the playoffs. I never forgot. I always beleived. Hang onto the Kassassin for life, we got a player here who loves being here, and who's just crazy enough to stab someone for McDavid's honor.
I'll be real, I totally wanted to dump him overboard for a mid-round pick it was about a year and 2/3rds of him being mediocre to underwhelming after those playoffs and we had a plenitude of toughness, I've never doubted his ability to be a difference maker when he played inspired hockey, my issue was with how often we seen him play to that level. The last 1/3rd of a year he's been great and has complimented McDavid and Drai very well, despite never hitting 30 points even once in his career I could see him breaking 40 points if he is able to tap into his best game with any sort of regularity.

The make up of our team has changed quite a bit and I am much more inclined to keep him than I would of been a year ago, even if he goes back to being a sub-10 goal guy. I'd just caution against going big money or big term as he's never really demonstrated a high level of consistency at really any point in his career. Kassian at his best though is a one man wrecking crew, a terror on the forecheck, with a touch of crazy, and deceptively soft hands for a player who plays a pretty rough game.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Need to resign him.

Has grown up and found himself, the room loves him, and is money with Drai or McD.

My favourite Oiler.

I thought he had another season yet, but yep contract is up this season.

I don't think Kenny will have any problem getting it done unless Kassian has some sort of crazy career year being a contract year and all and his ask is double his current salary (or more).

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Kassian's Achilles heel has been consistency, not ability. If he can keep this up for a full 82 games no question he gets re-signed and a healthy raise from the Oilers.

One game, however, does not a season make. Kassian has to show up like this every night. If he does, the guy will get 30 goals. If he does what he usually does, he'll disappear for long stretches and 15-20 goals is the best we can hope for.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Kassian's Achilles heel has been consistency, not ability. If he can keep this up for a full 82 games no question he gets re-signed and a healthy raise from the Oilers.

One game, however, does not a season make. Kassian has to show up like this every night. If he does, the guy will get 30 goals. If he does what he usually does, he'll disappear for long stretches and 15-20 goals is the best we can hope for.
That's mostly fine, because he shouldn't be looked at like any of the big 3. Basically you have to hope he brings consistent efforts and if you can get more consistent performances more often, and you have a player who will generate alot for this team.

Reactions: TB12 and TFHockey

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
No way he keeps this up. If he does he will be making close to 7M per.
The guy has played like a legit top liner the last 2 games.

Reactions: TFHockey

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
"He is a great guy. He definitely gets me out of my comfort zone,” said McDavid. “He is a really good friend of mine and I’m lucky to have him as a friend, and it is great seeing the success he has had lately.”

McDavid also said you don't trade away guys like Kassian.

I think Kassian might be the most popular Oiler after 97 and 29

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
No way he keeps this up. If he does he will be making close to 7M per.
The guy has played like a legit top liner the last 2 games.
I don't know about that, but if he can establish himself as a top-6 forward, that's basically a huge find for the Oilers, and if he does that I have no problem paying him $4+M a year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
"He is a great guy. He definitely gets me out of my comfort zone,” said McDavid. “He is a really good friend of mine and I’m lucky to have him as a friend, and it is great seeing the success he has had lately.”

McDavid also said you don't trade away guys like Kassian.

I think Kassian might be the most popular Oiler after 97 and 29
I'm a little surprised he didn't get an A. There are numerous stories about Kassian from players and it seems quite clear he is one of the vocal leaders in the room.

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
Radko+Gudas+Zack+Kassian+Edmonton+Oilers+v+hH-DDagtJMWl.jpg
Not to forget he was a top 15 draft pick. Guy has talent and has a crazy mean streak. Can skate,hit fight and score. What's not to like

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

True but his last 25 games last season on the top line was very good. He usually disappears after about 10 games.

The league is getting smaller, weaker and softer. A player with size who can skate and play with your top end guys and check you into the 5th row are extremely rare and valuable.

Tom Wilson is getting paid about 25 million bucks. Kassian is on a contract year as a UFA in a league where heavy but fast hockey still wins Cups.

This is his year if he wants it to be.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
You know, from going the lowest in his career with his alcoholism to getting a 2nd chance and showing the world how much a person can change in 3 years time is amazing to see. I love reading stories like his and being the answer to questions. I will always be a Kassian fan.

I’m waiting for his contract extension before I buy a 44 jersey but I’m with you. Hell, even Sam Gagner is a Kassian fan now!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You know, from going the lowest in his career with his alcoholism to getting a 2nd chance and showing the world how much a person can change in 3 years time is amazing to see. I love reading stories like his and being the answer to questions. I will always be a Kassian fan.
I follow him on Instagram and it's nice to see that he's been able to work through all these issues and try put the past behind himself.

Brian McGrattan does a lot of work with players and the community when it comes to alcoholism. I could see Kassian being a guy once his career is done doing the same.

Reactions: o98

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I’m waiting for his contract extension before I buy a 44 jersey but I’m with you. Hell, even Sam Gagner is a Kassian fan now!
I think I'm going to buy one regardless. I damn near did last year. Even if he isn't here in 20-21, I'd have no issue wearing the jersey. Unless of course he does the same thing as Lucic and goes to Calgary. That signed Lucic jersey will be in the closet for a very long time.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
True but his last 25 games last season on the top line was very good. He usually disappears after about 10 games.

The league is getting smaller, weaker and softer. A player with size who can skate and play with your top end guys and check you into the 5th row are extremely rare and valuable.

Tom Wilson is getting paid about 25 million bucks. Kassian is on a contract year as a UFA in a league where heavy but fast hockey still wins Cups.

This is his year if he wants it to be.
I think the difference being WSH thinks Wilson can improve offensively still. The guy was damn near on pace for 30 goals last year. Then again they have to think that he'll never play 82 games. Kassian I don't see as being that offensively gifted.

Maybe something closer to the Ferland contract?

Reactions: Oilhawks

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
20-20 guy at minimum...

Sign him up long term in the New Year...

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I hope that he has a big season and that he decides to remain with us after this season. Hopefully he's got an ass whupping for Gio on the front burner when we pay Calgary.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think the difference being WSH thinks Wilson can improve offensively still. The guy was damn near on pace for 30 goals last year. Then again they have to think that he'll never play 82 games. Kassian I don't see as being that offensively gifted.

Maybe something closer to the Ferland contract?

Yeah that’s spot on in my opinion.

Reactions: joestevens29

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad