Player Discussion Zack Kassian

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Is there a chance Seattle could take Kassian? Maybe add some extra? Of course this also depends on how strongly Kassian finishes this season. At the moment it's hard to see anyone taking his contract without sweeteners.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Kassian just doesn't bring enough to the table to justify giving him what he has and the term he has. He had a good year playing with the big boys and got rewarded with a nice contract. Unfortunately, it is becoming painfully obvious he is not a regular top 6 player, lacking consistency and urgency. At his best, there is some crazy to his game that keeps opponents on edge and allows some freedom for himself and his linemates. But that part of his game rarely surfaces any more, if at all. Perhaps, he really is what he is. A good skating plug who can create some havoc and maybe give you 10 goals and 20 points.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Who knows? Maybe you swap Yamo and Kassian for a game or two.

Yamo has worked really well with McDavid and maybe it was actually Drai Kassian had chemistry with and not McDavid.

(Obviously not ideal, but thinking in terms of Tipp thinking.)

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Kassian is playing a step behind the play/two steps behind his usual.

I speculate he is a player that needs a fire lit under him or sparks from physical play. His new contract and happy life/family (I'm guessing) would certainly mellow him.

The contract was too long and too big but let's not get too crazy. When on his game he is a great third liner and can be used intermittently in the top 6.

He needs to be demoted until he comes out of his funk. No doubt aboot it. That's on Tippett as much as anything else. It's the coaches job to motivate and find chemistry in the line ups. To say Tippett has failed at that is an insult to all other failures.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Kassian just doesn't bring enough to the table to justify giving him what he has and the term he has. He had a good year playing with the big boys and got rewarded with a nice contract. Unfortunately, it is becoming painfully obvious he is not a regular top 6 player, lacking consistency and urgency. At his best, there is some crazy to his game that keeps opponents on edge and allows some freedom for himself and his linemates. But that part of his game rarely surfaces any more, if at all. Perhaps, he really is what he is. A good skating plug who can create some havoc and maybe give you 10 goals and 20 points.

He was always going to be a placeholder on topline until this team could unChiarelli itself from cap hell and mediocre depth. A guy who could bring okay even strength production, aggressive forecheck and some shotgun support to mitigate abuse of McDavid. Unfortunately, he has been brutal in the sterile covid bubble drifting too much and too long with indifferent play. He needs to move down to the third line maybe paired with an aggressive player like Archibald who might draw him into the fight.

Time to pair McDavid with another skill based winger and see if this can drive some offence.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Who knows? Maybe you swap Yamo and Kassian for a game or two.

Yamo has worked really well with McDavid and maybe it was actually Drai Kassian had chemistry with and not McDavid.

(Obviously not ideal, but thinking in terms of Tipp thinking.)

Something I've thought about as well. Drai does manage to elicit Kass better game I think, and Kass suits Drai game better in that he is a vet that can take a puck, or control a puck when he wants to and play a give and go. Even Neal on the one shift with Drai looked better.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
As bad as Kass looked at times last game, there were some actual glimmers of a guy that gave a shit at times, and was willing to work hard. Could be a sign that he's ready to break out for a few games. Or maybe he just felt like breaking a sweat for a period, who knows.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
As bad as Kass looked at times last game, there were some actual glimmers of a guy that gave a shit at times, and was willing to work hard. Could be a sign that he's ready to break out for a few games. Or maybe he just felt like breaking a sweat for a period, who knows.

If he can at least bring a consistent physical game, he would bring value to the team. I'd also like to see him on the PK if he ends up in the bottom 6 for an extended period of time.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
If he can at least bring a consistent physical game, he would bring value to the team. I'd also like to see him on the PK if he ends up in the bottom 6 for an extended period of time.
Maybe being on the third line now makes him play his physical, forechecking brand of hockey that works? His skillset is nowhere near a top six forward. I agree that he should be on the PK

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Maybe being on the third line now makes him play his physical, forechecking brand of hockey that works? His skillset is nowhere near a top six forward. I agree that he should be on the PK

It depends on how he takes the demotion. At times in the past it didn't do much to have him elevate his game. He can be an effective player when he puts in the work.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sounds like his head hasn't been in the game as he's dealing with a newborn. Hopefully in a smaller(proper) role he can succeed until he figures out his home life.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I'm hoping for a big year from Kass. When he's on his game the entire team plays a couple inches taller. Probably 3rd line RW with some spot time in the top 2 slots.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Hyman McD Pulj
Nuge Drai Kass
Fuegle D. Roy Yamamoto
Shore MacLeod Archibald

Kass plays with Draisaitl.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
BLOG: Kassian focused on rebounding from challenging year (nhl.com)

If he comes in ready to play the way that he can and do it fairly consistently, that would be huge for our team.

I think with some of the players Holland got to fill our our lineup Kassian will feel more at home with this version of the club. I could see a lot of mayhem and forechecking from multiple of the additions and I think that excitement, and fans being back, will entice Kassian back into more action. Or I want to believe that.;)

I'll hold out some hope because thats the name of the game this time of year and all we got. He looked full of smiles in scrimmage. He specifically spoke well of the player additions.

bucktown

Oct 27, 2009
I'm convinced his sub-par showing last season could mainly be attributed to his repeated injuries and trying to play through recovery, and I honestly think he's getting a bad rap for it.

When he came back for the playoffs (finally healthy) he was playing good hockey, and put some points on the board.

If he's healthy, he'll be a net-positive for us. How you can expect a guy who plays that style of hockey to be out there punching guys, taking a beating in front of the net, or digging in the corners with a busted hand et al is beyond me. And it's not like we had many actual NHL players to take his spot on the roster.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I'm convinced his sub-par showing last season could mainly be attributed to his repeated injuries and trying to play through recovery, and I honestly think he's getting a bad rap for it.

When he came back for the playoffs (finally healthy) he was playing good hockey, and put some points on the board.

If he's healthy, he'll be a net-positive for us. How you can expect a guy who plays that style of hockey to be out there punching guys, taking a beating in front of the net, or digging in the corners with a busted hand et al is beyond me. And it's not like we had many actual NHL players to take his spot on the roster.
Kassian is a pure energy player, he needs the fans in the stands to get him going / keep him going

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Kassian has worked with McDavid in the past. If he could recapture that, I'd love to see:

Hyman - McDavid - Kassian
Nuge - Draisaitl - Pulujarvi
Foegle - McLeod - Yamamoto
Benson/Shore - Ryan - Archibald.

If he doesn't recapture it, move him to the bottom and move everyone up one line.

NashtoNowitzki

Jan 8, 2019
Kassian is a pure energy player, he needs the fans in the stands to get him going / keep him going
Every time I see this oft-repeated idea that Kassian needs fans in the stands to play competently, I have to point out how f***ing bananas you sound. It's abject lunacy and a fairytale wish. Do you know how foolish you sound to 95% of the population?
I'm sorry if it seems I'm jumping on you, but like, jesus christ, give your head a f***ing shake.
Just because a handful of people repeat an illogical assumption ad nauseum does not make it any more legitimate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad