Player Discussion Zack Kassian

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He’s not a fourth line scrub without them. That’s taking it too far.
I’m not so sure about that. He was playing himself off the team for very large stretches of the past 2 seasons prior to this one.

Wasn’t until he got some time with McDavid/drai that he started giving a consistent effort.

There were months at a time where he was a complete no show.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Kassian is a very tough one for me. He's not Tom Wilson. Wilson is a legitimate top 6 winger who also happens to be a bit crazy and one of the toughest guys in the league. Last year at age 24 he put up 22 goals and had 40 points in just 63 games after a terrific playoffs. Of course Wilson signed for $5M+. Kassian to me when playing well is a solid 3rd liner with the skills to be a complementary player on a line with guys like Leon and McDavid. Kassian's career high is 15 goals and 26 points which he put up last year as a 27/28 year old with the bulk of that coming with the big/boys. Away from McDavid/Draisaitl he's probably a $2.5M player. With those guys $3.5M might be closer to the number. So for me $3M over 4 years is reasonable, but I might actually go longer at try to get the cap hit down a little. 6 years at $2.6M front loaded with signing bonuses and no movement clauses after the first 4 years. He gets the security of a longer deal and the Oilers get a cheap winger for the top line.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
And both are bottom 6 players on any other team that have no business making over 3mil :p

What did Matt Martin sign for? IMO that might be a good comp. Ideally we keep him for $2.5 million or less but seeing as we just have
Chiasson $1.9 X 2 and Kass being a new father he will be looking for financial security as this will likely be the biggest contract of his career.

Vader611

Nov 8, 2019
What did Matt Martin sign for? IMO that might be a good comp. Ideally we keep him for $2.5 million or less but seeing as we just have
Chiasson $1.9 X 2 and Kass being a new father he will be looking for financial security as this will likely be the biggest contract of his career.
Agree ideally 2.5-2.75 but a lot here are willing to pay the guy 4 mil. Ferland got 3.5 but had consistent 40 point seasons so anywhere from 2.5-3 makes sense to me. It's a good situation here for Kassian which is just as important as money.

I think this gets done long before UFA at 2.5-3 mil 2-4 years. Kassian might give up a bit of cash for more term.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

And that’s why you offer Kassian the extra term if he’s willing to be reasonable with the AAV. He’ll be 29, and a 2.5x4 contract will damn near double his career earnings

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Kassian is in somewhat of a similar position as Chiasson to me for UFA. Teams are not falling for his numbers. The difference between Kassian and Chiasson though is that Kass brings way more to the table with his speed and grit.

If he continues to be a good fit on that top line I don’t mind 3 years, 2.5-3M per season.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Good luck with Kassian at 2.5.
He will get 3.5 open market easy. Even 4+ if a team thinks he can click with their stars in a top 6 role.

He is nothing like Maroon or Chiasson. Kassian PKs and has speed.

3.333x3 would be good for both sides IMO

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He will get 3.5 open market easy. Even 4+ if a team thinks he can click with their stars in a top 6 role.

Ya. Unlike Maroon and Chiasson, Kassian has never scored 20 goals, or 30 points (Maroon broke 40 twice). He PKs and has speed, but he’s never produced like either of them, and teams aren’t going to be lining up to give him 3.5. And if someone will, so be it, let him go. We can’t afford to overpay a bottom 6er because they put up points with McDrai.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
Letting Kassian go would be the same mistake letting Maroon go was.

Resign the guy who obviously loves playing for the Oilers and does gel well with his team and flip someone else. Chiasson or Russell?

Reactions: cantthinkofone

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Ya. Unlike Maroon and Chiasson, Kassian has never scored 20 goals, or 30 points (Maroon broke 40 twice). He PKs and has speed, but he’s never produced like either of them, and teams aren’t going to be lining up to give him 3.5. And if someone will, so be it, let him go. We can’t afford to overpay a bottom 6er because they put up points with McDrai.
3.5 for Kassian as a UFA would not be an overpay.
His replacement will cost 6M+ unless we rush a rookie or move up a Khaira

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
If Kassian signs for 4 mil with another team he will soon be a whipping boy. No way he lives up to that contract. Doubt that would be a good thing for anyone.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019

yrah I see Kass getting 4.5 even from some dumb team (Flames!!!) on open market

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
If Kassian signs for 4 mil with another team he will soon be a whipping boy. No way he lives up to that contract. Doubt that would be a good thing for anyone.
Ferland, Tanev, Connolly.
If Kass stays healthy and keeps doing what he is doing he will get his 4M.

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
I was going to start a new thread but I sort of wanted to go back to read about what we were all saying about Kassian a year ago.

Is what we have now the player we can expect going forward? Someone who only really shows up for a short stretch every season and needs to be motivated by something like the Tkachuk incident to even show some level of engagement?

Was the multi year deal a mistake with a player who has demonstrated motivational/consistency issues for the majority of his career?

I’m at a point now where his ass gets stapled to the 3rd and 4th lines and his minutes with McDavid disappear altogether. There’s something rotten with him and needs to change.

McCombo

Nov 16, 2013
What a horrible deal. Did Holland actually think that he could build a contender with Kassian being a "cheap 1st line winger"? He must have to because he is well overpaid if he plays in the bottom6. And Kassian shouldn't be anywhere near 1st line in a good NHL team. There is another ~2 million wasted for upgrading a team in the future (someone could be his job for 1mil).

Reactions: Heavy Dee

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I was going to start a new thread but I sort of wanted to go back to read about what we were all saying about Kassian a year ago.

Is what we have now the player we can expect going forward? Someone who only really shows up for a short stretch every season and needs to be motivated by something like the Tkachuk incident to even show some level of engagement?

Was the multi year deal a mistake with a player who has demonstrated motivational/consistency issues for the majority of his career?

I’m at a point now where his ass gets stapled to the 3rd and 4th lines and his minutes with McDavid disappear altogether. There’s something rotten with him and needs to change.

I mentioned in another thread that we should know as Oilers fans not to sign guys with motivational/consistency issues to long term deals. We have to many players on the team that don't bring a consistent effort to the team. Around the time that there were rumors that Kass wanted out he was putrid. Then he joined Connor's line and fit in well when Drai was there. Now he is back to looking like he's going through the motions. That play where Matthews scored was a prime example of not doing the little things to win. I don't see him remaining on the big club for the remainder of his contract.

Reactions: CravenMH

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
He’s not a fourth line scrub without them. That’s taking it too far.

I'm not saying this take is right or wrong. But I got curious and checked Kassian's points/60 before last season, when he was playing mainly in the bottom lines. Out of forwards who played at least 10 games he was:

2015-2016: 13th
2016-2017 11th
2017-2018 14th
2018-2019: 10th

Removing players who played less than 20 games doesn't change much (except for 2 steps in one year). Of course there's more in hockey than just points and maybe Kassian is/was providing some extras at his best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad