Player Discussion Zack Kassian

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I have liked Kassians game since he came here but his recent success like Chaisson and maroon and rattie etc etc before them is totally reliant on mcdavid.

He has really underrated skill.

Draisaitl loves playing with Kassian as well, he lights up talking about playing with him.

Esko

Sep 23, 2015
Early discussion- I am interested what other Oiler fans think of extending Kassian? What would be the amount of years and dollars you are comfortable with extending Kassian for?

8 points so far thru 11 games, likely will smash his career high for points in a season at 29. Oilers obviously have to be much smarter with their cap than they have in the past but I believe Kassian is a great fit so far with McDavid & Draisaitl. Although he is a huge beneficiary of playing with two of the best players in the world, I can’t help but think his unique skill set is something we’d like to keep around.

Discuss.

Esko

Sep 23, 2015
Early discussion- I am interested what other Oiler fans think of extending Kassian? What would be the amount of years and dollars you are comfortable with extending Kassian for?

8 points so far thru 11 games, likely will smash his career high for points in a season at 29. Oilers obviously have to be much smarter with their cap than they have in the past but I believe Kassian is a great fit so far with McDavid & Draisaitl. Although he is a huge beneficiary of playing with two of the best players in the world, I can’t help but think his unique skill set is something we’d like to keep around.

Discuss.
Gonna bump this discussion, interested to hear what other Oiler fans think what Zack Kassian's next contract should be. 16 points in 23 games so far this season.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Gonna bump this discussion, interested to hear what other Oiler fans think what Zack Kassian's next contract should be. 16 points in 23 games so far this season.

Rishaug framed it best IMO...somewhere between Ferland and Wilson.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Rishaug framed it best IMO...somewhere between Ferland and Wilson.

Wilson is a better player by quite a bit. I don't think there is a huge difference between Ferland and Kassian but Ferland had two 40+ point seasons and was averaging just under 18 goals a year over the last three yeaars before signing his deal.

Frankly, his numbers are inflated by playing where he is. He must know that. This combined with the fact that the Oilers have been very good to him may earn them a bit of a discount. Give him term as security but keep the cap hit down.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Wilson is a better player by quite a bit. I don't think there is a huge difference between Ferland and Kassian but Ferland had two 40+ point seasons and was averaging just under 18 goals a year over the last three yeaars before signing his deal.

Frankly, his numbers are inflated by playing where he is. He must know that. This combined with the fact that the Oilers have been very good to him may earn them a bit of a discount. Give him term as security but keep the cap hit down.

There is no doubt that Kassian benefits from playing with McDavid and Draisaitl.
That said Kassians value doesnt just include his points. If we go back to the 2017 playoffs (when he didnt play on the 1st line) his value was quite clear.
Now he has shown that he can elevate his game and play with the 2 best players in the NHL....that suggests to me that Kassain is a very valuable player.
So thats why i think that his contract will come out between Ferland and Wilson.
Being that he is 28 years old it wouldnt surprise me to see a 4 or 5 year term.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
There is no doubt that Kassian benefits from playing with McDavid and Draisaitl.
That said Kassians value doesnt just include his points. If we go back to the 2017 playoffs (when he didnt play on the 1st line) his value was quite clear.
Now he has shown that he can elevate his game and play with the 2 best players in the NHL....that suggests to me that Kassain is a very valuable player.
So thats why i think that his value will come out between Ferland and Wilson.

Agreed. As long as he shows a bit of crazy every once in awhile, players wont screw around with McDavid as much.

His hits on Couture in 2017 to his most recent physical play against Colorado are examples of what he can bring that no one else on the roster (outside of maybe Nurse or Khaira) can bring. Khaira does not have the crazy to do what Kassian does.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So thats why i think that his contract will come out between Ferland and Wilson.
Being that he is 28 years old it wouldnt surprise me to see a 4 or 5 year term.
This is my hope, give him an extra year, security, for a bit lower cap hit maybe.

Reactions: guymez

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Has always been able to skate and have skill, adds toughness but make no mistake his stats are inflated by playing with the duo, jut like maroon, chaisson, rattie, etc etc etc

Another guy also that half this board wanted to toss last year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Agreed. As long as he shows a bit of crazy every once in awhile, players wont screw around with McDavid as much.

His hits on Couture in 2017 to his most recent physical play against Colorado are examples of what he can bring that no one else on the roster (outside of maybe Nurse or Khaira) can bring. Khaira does not have the crazy to do what Kassian does.

I agree except that Khaira just cant skate like Kassian. Thats a large part of what makes Kassian such a valuable player.
I really have to give him props. I posted a few years back that he made too many dumb decisions...he has completely eliminated that from his game.
So he is capable of growing and adapting as a player as well.

I also think his off ice success should be considered because that more than anything else shows who Kassian is as a person and you cant have too many character players on a team IMO.

Reactions: harpoon

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Has always been able to skate and have skill, adds toughness but make no mistake his stats are inflated by playing with the duo, jut like maroon, chaisson, rattie, etc etc etc

The reality is that players and teams grow and mature.
Kassian has clearly done that and deserves some credit.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Yup, I can be counted in that somewhat, he was pretty bad during the lull of last season. It's nice he's come around so strongly.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I agree except that Khaira just cant skate like Kassian. Thats a large part of what makes Kassian such a valuable player.
I really have to give him props. I posted a few years back that he made too many dumb decisions...he has completely eliminated that from his game.
So he is capable of growing and adapting as a player as well.

I also think his off ice success should be considered because that more than anything else shows who Kassian is as a person and you cant have too many character players on a team IMO.

True. You can't really underestimate how Kassian's personal life has impacted his development as a player.

I don't want to sound stupid about it, but he has shown that he has a certain strength of character. Kind of the type of person you want on your team if the going gets tough.

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Its nice watching Mcdavid do his thing without players constantly taking liberties on him this season. We can thank Kassian for this.

TheUltimateOiler

Oct 21, 2019
Kassian should get 3 million per.
However, I want him to get 4 million per if he plays like he is currently with the big two.

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010
Just think about when Mckinnon got run over by Kassian the other night:

Mcdavid goes on to put up 6 points. Mentions in his post game interview how Kassian got him fired up with that hit.

Could you imagine if someone laid a hit like that on Mcdavid and we didn't have someone like Kassian on this ice to answer.

Reactions: Pointteen

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Kassian is what Lucic's floor should have been at this point.

Very good at the role he is in. His role is worth more than he's paid now, but I think Kassian values term over maximum dollar. I think he's gonna want to be a local hero

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Let’s be honest ... if you had to pick one Oiler to watch your back it would be Kassian. Only other guy that even comes close is Nurse.

It's also good that having Kassian keeps Nurse from having to play this role. I'd rather have Nurse on the ice than in the box.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
3x3 seems like a good deal for both sides. Kassian gets a nice raise, and the Oilers get him at a manageable cap hit where even if he's replaced on the first line you can live with the cap hit on the 2nd or 3rd lines where he obviously wont produce as much. I do think he's been a nice fit on that line though because he can play the forechecker role, can play with speed off the rush, and can play the puck protection cycle game. That's essentially the 3 ways that Drai and McDavid already create offence, off the rush, on the cycle, or on quick strikes off turnovers. Kassian can contribute in all 3 aspects.

Reactions: Little Fury

Bones2079

Oct 2, 2019
Tier 3 Fan
They way Connor talks about him he's staying. Agree on the 3x3, he seems happy so I think Kenny gets it done. Hopefully he's talking to him already about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad