Player Discussion Zack Kassian

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I do find it interesting kane joins the team and instantly does what Kassian is supposed to do. Like wake up buddy. You don’t have to drop the mitts but let them know you aren’t playing around.
speaking of interesting, Kassian did drop his mitts after Kane joined and is very comfortably leading this forwards group in hits. We are comparing a top line powerforward with a 4th liner here.
The biggest issue with Kassian is his salary. Half of the people bashing him here wouldnt care if he was making 1.9M per

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
speaking of interesting, Kassian did drop his mitts after Kane joined and is very comfortably leading this forwards group in hits. We are comparing a top line powerforward with a 4th liner here.
The biggest issue with Kassian is his salary. Half of the people bashing him here wouldnt care if he was making 1.9M per
Or if his term was cut in half…

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I can partly agree with the bolded. Because if that's what he was making, and on a short term, you'd have no trouble running him in and out with the likes of Kyle Turris, Colton Scevior and Tyler Benson when he decides he doesn't want to get involved. Seems to me, to be a very comfortable player, that needs to have a carrot in front of him more often than not to perform consistently. I wonder what he'd be playing like, on an expiring contract?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The salary is definitely the key. With Nurse's contract next year Kassian becomes a luxury that they may not be able to afford. Unless Keith unexpectedly retires I think Kassian is very likely a guy they will try to move. Though it is also possible that they move on from Foegele.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The salary is definitely the key. With Nurse's contract next year Kassian becomes a luxury that they may not be able to afford. Unless Keith unexpectedly retires I think Kassian is very likely a guy they will try to move. Though it is also possible that they move on from Foegele.

If Holloway is ready to step in and Foegele has value around the league I would definitely consider shipping him out unless he has a big 2nd half of this season. Foegele, Kassian and Barrie are all guys that I'd consider moving out to open up some cap.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

I could see this.
I wonder if oilers make a misstake dealing Fogele, he has elements oilers lack. Size, competiveness, boardplay, thoughness.

Kassian is missing what maked him important on the ice. I dont doubt he is important in the room.

But right now I see him as the 13th forward. He his a 4th liner who can be a fill out playing with Hyman Nuge.

Can easy be replaced nybHolloway today.

Oilers should dangle Barrie, Kassian firstly in trades, then Yamamoto - Fogele (if Tippet has soured on the player). It shouldnt be that hard. But again, they may not have any value on the market?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Biggest game of the year, facing down their provincial rivals for the entire nation to see and once again Kassian crawls into his shell and cannot be found. Holland (or hopefully his replacement) needs to shed this contract in the offseason.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Kassian was pretty useful before he signed the contract. He has just regressed since he signed the contract.

I didnt really like the timing of the contract. If I remember they signed him like in January. I think they should of waited till the offseason.

I think with the Tkachuk fiasco, and he was playing decent with McDavid at the time, Oilers management got too far ahead of themselves. They were too desperate on the Kassian deal which seems to be a trend with Holland trades/signings. I dont think a player like him should be getting a four year deal.

It seems like hes picking it up a bit now (but hes still inconsistent imo), but for a team thats hard against the cap, hes not a 3.2 million dollar player, and its a problem.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I do find it interesting kane joins the team and instantly does what Kassian is supposed to do. Like wake up buddy. You don’t have to drop the mitts but let them know you aren’t playing around.

The frustrating thing with Kassian, is that the guy has all the tools to be a perfect bottom 6 player. Hes fast, hits, and can make the occasional nice offensive play. The team could really use "Kassian". But we only get the Kassian version that we love, every 5-10 games.

Reactions: Blue Line Turnover

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
If Holloway is ready to step in and Foegele has value around the league I would definitely consider shipping him out unless he has a big 2nd half of this season. Foegele, Kassian and Barrie are all guys that I'd consider moving out to open up some cap.
Tend to agree but its the same old argument. You probably have to throw in some sweeteners before anybody picks up these players.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The frustrating thing with Kassian, is that the guy has all the tools to be a perfect bottom 6 player. Hes fast, hits, and can make the occasional nice offensive play. The team could really use "Kassian". But we only get the Kassian version that we love, every 5-10 games.
He's still living off the 2017 playoffs. He produced a bit while playing with McDavid (because it's McDavid), signed the extension then went back into his coma. Holland really should've exercised caution when signing this extension... Just a precursor to Nurse's extension, really.

Reactions: FlameChampion

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Kassian was pretty useful before he signed the contract. He has just regressed since he signed the contract.

I didnt really like the timing of the contract. If I remember they signed him like in January. I think they should of waited till the offseason.

I think with the Tkachuk fiasco, and he was playing decent with McDavid at the time, Oilers management got too far ahead of themselves. They were too desperate on the Kassian deal which seems to be a trend with Holland trades/signings. I dont think a player like him should be getting a four year deal.

It seems like hes picking it up a bit now (but hes still inconsistent imo), but for a team thats hard against the cap, hes not a 3.2 million dollar player, and its a problem.
I think they were banking on him bringing some game-changing physicality if his offence dried up; he hasn't brought much of anything, though

Reactions: FlameChampion

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Healthy scratch today. Pretty sure this is the first time that he's been sent to the presser since he came here.

Such a lazy, lazy player.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Useless while our star players get bullied around the ice and JG goes off for 5 points. I’m glad he’s sitting.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Healthy scratch today. Pretty sure this is the first time that he's been sent to the presser since he came here.

Such a lazy, lazy player.
Did they come out and say healthy scratch? Gregor was saying he thinks he might've banged his knee up on a hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad