Player Discussion Zack Kassian

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Kassian's contract makes him the number one target to move out next year if they want to add someone significant. If he's not in your top six, which he should not be, that contract is an issue for a team that has a tight cap next year. If Holloway shows he's ready you can save $2.275M on the cap with

Holloway McLeod Foegele

vs

Foegele McLeod Kassian

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
So he instead brought chassion back and handed a gross 4 year deal to kassian. Maroon is currently being paid 800 k and then 1 mill next year.

Kassians deal is two years longer and what 3.2?

So yeah I'd rather have the mistake of maroon who is as good of a player.

I’m pretty sure there would be lots of complaining about paying Maroon $3M per year or whatever it was going to be to keep him here. His production is great for a league minimum guy but he wasn’t going to stay here for that. He did it to play for his home team and then to play for a contender in a tax haven

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Kassian's contract makes him the number one target to move out next year if they want to add someone significant. If he's not in your top six, which he should not be, that contract is an issue for a team that has a tight cap next year. If Holloway shows he's ready you can save $2.275M on the cap with

Holloway McLeod Foegele

vs

Foegele McLeod Kassian

Problem is that the top option would likely also come with spent assets to get rid of Kassian.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Problem is that the top option would likely also come with spent assets to get rid of Kassian.

I don't think he'd be that hard to move. He's only owed $5.8M over the last two years of his deal. Moneywise he's probably worth $2.5M per year for a team with cap space.

Arizona has three forwards signed for next year. They have about $53M in cap space. Kassian's versatility might add a little incentive beyond the fact that they get $6.4M in cap for the price of $5.8M.

Last edited:

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
So he instead brought chassion back and handed a gross 4 year deal to kassian. Maroon is currently being paid 800 k and then 1 mill next year.

Kassians deal is two years longer and what 3.2?

So yeah I'd rather have the mistake of maroon who is as good of a player.

I'd pay 800k just to see Maroons hair on Kassian's head.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think it's time for him to go. You can get a bottom 6 agitator/tough guy for peanuts like a Zack McEwan if you want and then add a tougher D like Soucy or even a Hamonic to the blue line for cheap and that replaces/surpasses the "toughness" Kassian brings.

Attach him to a 1st rounder for some good player(s) in return and move on. He does not bring nearly enough and we need that money to use on other players.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
He just seems so lazy out there.

there are times where I feel like he can get to the puck, but then he just stops skating.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
It's so too bad. This is a finesse based team that could use more size and aggression in the line up. Kassian has all the elements that they could use but he just disappears for extended periods. Games like Seattle and this LA one, the Oil could have really used a strong, physical third line to stem momentum by teams that were grossly outworking them. Instead they got sleepwalking Kassian. His often soft, inconsistent own zone play can be a detriment.

I thought something was building with McLeod, Foegele and Kassian. But the expensive power forward doesn't bring it enough.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I still say keep him. He has inconsistently but I think he can lift his play when it matters.

Upgrade Ryan. Maybe that's a bit premature. His early success has faded and Kassian was excellent in the bottom six with a great center, which Ryan was for a bit

Reactions: Dakkon

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I still say keep him. He has inconsistently but I think he can lift his play when it matters.

Upgrade Ryan. Maybe that's a bit premature. His early success has faded and Kassian was excellent in the bottom six with a great center, which Ryan was for a bit
Except Kassian has only showed up for big games once in his entire career and has like random weeks where he cares.
His money can be used substantially better.

He rarely fights and when he does he ends up getting hurt.
He is much less physical than he used to be.

When he is on he is useful, when he is off (most of the time) he is a liability. If he was making around 1mill sure, keep him. But he isnt

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Except Kassian has only showed up for big games once in his entire career and has like random weeks where he cares.
His money can be used substantially better.

He rarely fights and when he does he ends up getting hurt.
He is much less physical than he used to be.

When he is on he is useful, when he is off (most of the time) he is a liability. If he was making around 1mill sure, keep him. But he isnt
As much as I don't like suggesting this, I think he needs to be with McDavid to be effective.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
As much as I don't like suggesting this, I think he needs to be with McDavid to be effective.
False. He needs to be with McDavid AND Draisaitl to be effective.
He is a player that requires the 2 best players in the world on his line to not suck

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Kassian's buyout cost, current AAV $3.2 million for 2 more seasons after this one:

22/23 season $2.533 million savings/$667K cap hit
23/24 season $1.333 million savings/$1.867 million cap hit
24/25 season $967K cap hit
25/26 season $967K cap hit

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Kassian's buyout cost, current AAV $3.2 million for 2 more seasons after this one:

22/23 season $2.533 million savings/$667K cap hit
23/24 season $1.333 million savings/$1.867 million cap hit
24/25 season $967K cap hit
25/26 season $967K cap hit
I kept hoping a swap for Debrusk and then not qualify Debrusk.

Another buyout would be funny though.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Kassian is half a point a game and has had some nice stretches. He’s been fine a little inconsistent maybe but overall he’s not close to our worst player.
It's 14P in 32GP and 1 Assist in his last 5 Games.

Sure, he's not worse than Kyle Turrist. It's just frustrating and disappointing to see a 1st rounder (13 OA) that we've seen skate, battle, hit, and intimidate more or less evaporate.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's 14P in 32GP and 1 Assist in his last 5 Games.

Sure, he's not worse than Kyle Turrist. It's just frustrating and disappointing to see a 1st rounder (13 OA) that we've seen skate, battle, hit, and intimidate more or less evaporate.
I think after watching him play for a few years it's evident that the player that "skates, hits, and battles" is the irregularity and the one that floats and does nothing is the real Kassian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad