Player Discussion Zack Kassian

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I don't know if it's all of the injuries that he's had or what the deal is, but he just doesn't seem interested in going out there and hammering players anymore. It drives me nuts watching guys like Kassian and Foegele going through the motions on their checks when they are both big guys. If you aren't scoring drive the f***ing net and hit guys ffs. Imagine this team if we had prime Mike Grier and Ethan Moreau instead of these two? Neither were big fighters but both would go out and wreck guys.
All he needs to do is to emulate what Benson does, but with more skill (shown so far). Be a pest, get in their grills with your size. You may still have to fight, but don't go looking for one. Make them get the instigator if it gets to that point. Just make the game hard for them.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
I wonder what the deal is with Kass, maybe he's having Klefbom type issues and can't really play the way he needs to anymore?

I mean he can't really be thinking that he is making a difference in any games these days right? Even if he did, the coaching staff should talk to him and tell him he needs to step it up. Scoring draught, I understand, but for a player like Kass you gotta at least try to hurt people.
I am pro Kass the human but the hockey player was never that good. Got with McDrai after requesting a trade out of here (people seem to forget that part) and then got bumped to line 1 with McDrai.

He had a 10 year sample size that clearly showed he's about a 20 to 25 point player. Being with McDrai bumped him 9 points to 34. Now he's back on pace to be a 20 to 25 point player like the other 10 (give or take) seasons. Also, he was going into his 30's when he signed (just like Kane). I have asked this question a million times and have yet to get an example... I get arguments but never a name.

Name the forward that was better in their 30's than their 20's offensively? Kenny keeps signing guys on their peak athletic seasons (around 26 to 28) hoping they keep it up in their 30's. Every forward declines in their 30's. Injuries pile up, lost a step no matter how fit they are (or how much dryland training they do), recovery is slower.

So, as a fan of the human who I do believe is good in the room and liked by the guys, I don't think he changed much. He was always a 25 point winger who is entering his 30's. The problem is that someone bet on him to be more than that based on a tiny heater (eg. 30 games out of 600 or whatever he had played at that point).

FTR.. his contract signing was peak Toxic Positivity on here as people were explaing he is a '50 point guy'. I'm not sure he has 50 points since signing the contract in total.lol A lot of posters really confuse 'pace' with actual production. Big difference between scoring 30 goals and being on pace for it, big difference between being on pace to be a .ppg player and actually getting 82 points in a season. Playing a full season in itself is very difficult. Yet alone maintaining peak performance the whole time. Just ask Kass!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Exactly what I've been preaching. Why can't the Oilers instigate for once instead of always chasing guys around the ice trying the get EVEN? The very definition of a passive team.

Instead they can target Connor and Leon all game long and the other teams stars get a free ride and come out unscathed. I doubt that it's a coincidence that McDavid doesn't look himself, probably has a couple of injuries but is trying to soldier on through them.

Reactions: oilers'72

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
I am pro Kass the human but the hockey player was never that good. Got with McDrai after requesting a trade out of here (people seem to forget that part) and then got bumped to line 1 with McDrai.

He had a 10 year sample size that clearly showed he's about a 20 to 25 point player. Being with McDrai bumped him 9 points to 34. Now he's back on pace to be a 20 to 25 point player like the other 10 (give or take) seasons. Also, he was going into his 30's when he signed (just like Kane). I have asked this question a million times and have yet to get an example... I get arguments but never a name.

Name the forward that was better in their 30's than their 20's offensively? Kenny keeps signing guys on their peak athletic seasons (around 26 to 28) hoping they keep it up in their 30's. Every forward declines in their 30's. Injuries pile up, lost a step no matter how fit they are (or how much dryland training they do), recovery is slower.

So, as a fan of the human who I do believe is good in the room and liked by the guys, I don't think he changed much. He was always a 25 point winger who is entering his 30's. The problem is that someone bet on him to be more than that based on a tiny heater (eg. 30 games out of 600 or whatever he had played at that point).

FTR.. his contract signing was peak Toxic Positivity on here as people were explaing he is a '50 point guy'. I'm not sure he has 50 points since signing the contract in total.lol A lot of posters really confuse 'pace' with actual production. Big difference between scoring 30 goals and being on pace for it, big difference between being on pace to be a .ppg player and actually getting 82 points in a season. Playing a full season in itself is very difficult. Yet alone maintaining peak performance the whole time. Just ask Kass!

A quick google search brings up two decent examples, I'm sure there are more. Martin St Louis and Blake Wheeler. Both have aged like fine wine.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The guy doesn’t move his feet. The play will die on his stick and he does nothing to try and retrieve it.

honestly looks like he’s half assing it

The biggest problem. Guy literally waits for pucks to come to him rather than skate a few strides to retrieve.
Like if you aren't going to play physical, at least do the other little things properly ffs

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I missed the 1st, in the 2nd our guys are getting hit left and right, what is Kassian doing out there? Going for a brisk walk in the park? Waive this f***ing guy already.

Reactions: frag2

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
A quick google search brings up two decent examples, I'm sure there are more. Martin St Louis and Blake Wheeler. Both have aged like fine wine.

I'm pretty sure he meant same calibre player as Kassian. Yes there are stars like modano and Yzerman that altered their game later on.

Kassian tier players rarely get better.

Reactions: NashtoNowitzki

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It'd be interesting to go back to the Kassian extension thread and see who praised it.
The timing was bad. It was like Holland had this awful contract ready to go and was just waiting for Kassian to have a great game, and then announce it then.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The timing was bad. It was like Holland had this awful contract ready to go and was just waiting for Kassian to have a great game, and then announce it then.
It reeks of the Koskinen deal but even then he never really had a good stretch...

You never, ever sign depth players to term.

Reactions: Czechboy

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It reeks of the Koskinen deal but even then he never really had a good stretch...

You never, ever sign depth players to term.
I suppose he was on the top line at the time.

But of course how on earth do you justify any player getting that cash when they are playing on a line with BOTH McDavid and Draisaitl?? Of course his play was inflated

Meanwhile Maroon, who was better than Kassian, fought for successive 1 year deals at leas than half the cap hit. Because, those GMs understood that McDavid and Draisaitl might inflate whoever is #3 on that line when they are together

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Both of those guys were puttying up pretty good numbers in their mid 20s (Wheeler had a 64 point season at 25, MSL had 40 at 25).

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I missed the 1st, in the 2nd our guys are getting hit left and right, what is Kassian doing out there? Going for a brisk walk in the park? Waive this f***ing guy already.

He's pretty much an anchor on any line like how Belanger was back then.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Kassian is still one of the few guys that actually hits.

He leads the team in hits/60. He has double Foegele's. Three times Yamo's. Four times Pulju and Hyman's. Six times RNH's and McLeod's. Eight times Keith's.

This team is full of players that are physically capable of throwing hits, but don't care enough to do it.

Reactions: GrumpyKoala

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Kassian is still one of the few guys that actually hits.

He leads the team in hits/60. He has double Foegele's. Three times Yamo's. Four times Pulju and Hyman's. Six times RNH's and McLeod's. Eight times Keith's.

This team is full of players that are physically capable of throwing hits, but don't care enough to do it.

There are hits and then there are HITS. Little bumps and hey bud I'm going to hit you now so brace yourself hits aren't the same as looking to knock someone on their ass or hammer them into the boards and then they go ass over teakettle. A prime example would be a guy like Niemelainen, he doesn't hit just to separate guys from the puck, We could use a few more of those guys and Kass isn't one of them.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
There are hits and then there are HITS. Little bumps and hey bud I'm going to hit you now so brace yourself hits aren't the same as looking to knock someone on their ass or hammer them into the boards and then they go ass over teakettle. A prime example would be a guy like Niemelainen, he doesn't hit just to separate guys from the puck, We could use a few more of those guys and Kass isn't one of them.

We have like 10 forwards and five defensemen that would apologize if they bumped into an opponent.

Kassian isn't the issue when it comes to physicality.

Reactions: GrumpyKoala

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We have like 10 forwards and five defensemen that would apologize if they bumped into an opponent.

Kassian isn't the issue when it comes to physicality.

So having arguably our toughest player just bumping guys instead of running through them isn't a problem? Sorry, I have to disagree on that one.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Both of those guys were puttying up pretty good numbers in their mid 20s (Wheeler had a 64 point season at 25, MSL had 40 at 25).

Their best seasons were in their 30's. That was the guys point. What's your point?

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
My only remaining hope is he somehow becomes our Claude Lemieux: totally forgettable regular season, key person in the playoffs.

We saw it for 2 games last playoffs, very effective against Winnipeg (imho). If we go on a bit of a run, I predict (ok…”hope/wish”) he becomes that one third/fourth line guy that becomes a big influence in a series.

I’ve given up on him in the regular season. Only payoff we may get is a big push in the post season.

Then…consider trading while he’s hot…or treat him like Claude Lemieux; ignore the regular season to just have him for the playoffs.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I said it as much in the offseason, should've tried to find a way to get him to Seattle through one means or another. That was our best chance to be rid of his contract.

Reactions: Little Fury

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad