Confirmed with Link: Pettersson Signs 8 Year Deal with the Vancouver Canucks, AAV $11.6M

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I mean, all that can be true and he can still struggle mentally? Everybody is different obviously, but for a person with high expectation on himself and demand the best (which is a trait required if you want to be among the best in the world at your craft), sometimes its not a lack of motivation, or too much pressure from the outside, or anything else. Maybe he is just constantly beating himself up for every missed chance, every bad pass, every fanned on shot, etc. Because it has went on for so long, he now has no faith in his ability and second guess every decision, now he can neither pass or shoot. Obviously you can't play like that in the NHL.
I don't disagree. I'm just listing the usual factors that people blame. Confidence is not really something that has a time line of being solved but it can be solved all of a sudden. Mental health struggles are another matter.

Would a normal 25 year old be able to just dig himself out of that mental hole? Some people can, but its very rare.
Again, we're not talking about a normal 25 year old struggling to adapt to a new environment (like new job new company etc.). The equivalent would be a 25 year old assistant manager who has worked at the same company for 6 years (where there's only a manager above him and one other assistant manager).

You hope and expect he can handle adversity better because he is making millions, but is that really all that realistic?
Actually yes it's realistic. Petey is in his prime both in age and in experience. Hockey players don't typically go from AHL/4th line players to NHL star players in their 30s. Heck, it's even rare for 28 year old players to do that.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
There is no point in hating on Petey: Everybody has unique struggles in dealing with pressure/injuries, etc. The team needs to get him the physical/psychological help he needs to succeed.

However, there is a legitimate concern for the Canucks going forward that their player with a top-5 salary in the league may disappear for long stretches. He simply is not as dynamic or consistent as the other players in their primes with similar cap hits (McDavid, McKinnon, Matthews, etc.)

Reactions: LordBacon

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Lingering back issues? Back issues can affect everything.

You're the first person I've seen suggest that it could be his back. I agree, that's what I've been thinking too watching him skate and move. He doesn't twist his upper body at all and he looks stiffer than usual. It would explain a lot of the lack of shooting and falling down all the time.

If I had to put money on something nagging him, it would be his back.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I really do question anyone who thinks this is the same he has looked all year... yes go back a few posters have claimed this.

I also don't understand anyone can watch him and not think he has an injury. Sure maybe it should excuse some of his play... He definitely hasn't been playing great. But honestly look at his movement, his skating and shot... it just isn't the same. Its not like he is double clutching on shots... its a lack of shots, and power on the ones he does take... and yeah some accuracy too.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
I really do question anyone who thinks this is the same he has looked all year... yes go back a few posters have claimed this.

I also don't understand anyone can watch him and not think he has an injury. Sure maybe it should excuse some of his play... He definitely hasn't been playing great. But honestly look at his movement, his skating and shot... it just isn't the same. Its not like he is double clutching on shots... its a lack of shots, and power on the ones he does take... and yeah some accuracy too.
The 20-21 Canadian division year is forgotten by most.

This is EXACTLY how EP played that year before missing the 2nd half of the season. Identical issues, couldn't skate, wouldn't shoot, and missed by a mile when he did. Just sulked around.

He carried that through the majority of the next season, and then in his breakout year, he was at his worst on the PP. Many claimed it was a 'wrist' issue, during a 102p, 80 game season...

This version of EP has always been there, but those shortened first 3 years, and lower expectations of a young player, masked it from criticism.

Many were speculating injury from a shot block against Philly, (friendly fire from Myers) and a collision in the following Tampa game (also with Myers) as to his lackluster play earlier this year. Those games were in the first road trip of the season.. This discussion has been going on to varying degrees all year. It's not just some 'since the all star game ' thing.

It's been 4 years of boy who cried wolf regarding fan speculated injuries, for a player that has 3 straight seasons without missed games.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Coming from a guy thats pretty frustrated at Petey's performance so far.
Theres obviously something going on with him, whether physical or mental.
However, as far as we are in the playoffs, theres no way the canucks dont play him.
Whatever is affecting Pettersson is going to have to wait until off season.

It's okay to be frustrated but it's silly to demand heads be rolling at this point.
This decline in performance wont derail his career. For your reference and comparison, Boeser looked like dogshit last year, this year he's a 40 goal scorer and ppg in the playoffs.
If this really bugs you that much then maybe go take a break, smoke a joint or someshit.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I really don't know. I'm not going to be one of those posters who declares that "we know" that a certain player is injured when we don't. We can all speculate of course.

I would say that there's a wide range in terms of being "injured." There's playing with broken ribs/separated shoulder/meniscus tears/requires off season surgery type of being injured and there's "banged up" type of injured. There are also injuries in between like taping fingers together or wearing a brace. Certainly there are players who seem more effected by the more minor injuries.

The other thing is that Petey had similar struggles during Green's last days. I don't think he was injured then as he pretty much immediately had the Boudreau bump. Adding to this is that Petey's struggles started well before the playoffs started. Why did we not rest him? Is it cause we wanted to win the Division and better seeding?

Reactions: Lindgren

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I really don't know. I'm not going to be one of those posters who declares that "we know" that a certain player is injured when we don't. We can all speculate of course.

I would say that there's a wide range in terms of being "injured." There's playing with broken ribs/separated shoulder/meniscus tears/requires off season surgery type of being injured and there's "banged up" type of injured. There are also injuries in between like taping fingers together or wearing a brace. Certainly there are players who seem more effected by the more minor injuries.

The other thing is that Petey had similar struggles during Green's last days. I don't think he was injured then as he pretty much immediately had the Boudreau bump. Adding to this is that Petey's struggles started well before the playoffs started. Why did we not rest him? Is it cause we wanted to win the Division and better seeding?
*Especially* in that last regular season game which was *ENTIRELY* meaningless.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
1. Again, as always, you show an inability to handle any nuance. Again, as I said before, I agreed that Petey didn't look great. My contention was that the only evidence people were showing (at that time, and it was true), was pure boxscore stats. And that's what was happening. I asked someone for non-boxscore evidence and they literally repeated plus/minus and points back at me.
Again, I already addressed this, and as far as I can tell, you never replied, but if a player looks bad, and his counting stats are bad, then if posters point out that the player looks bad and reference his counting stats, why should the onus be on them to provide any further evidence? If the player looked good but the counting stats were bad then I would agree with you.

2. Preceding this "mystery slump" you were talking about, it was well known he had some kind of serious wrist injury.

He seems to have been taping his wrist for some time, through both good and bad stretches of play.

Also, just visually, it looks like Petey can barely move at times, which again, suggest injury rather than malaise. There are time when it looks like he's trying to take off, but just can't. That appears more physical than mental.
He looked this way in the last slump too, and during the last slump, lots of posters speculated that he was injured as well. And again, Bourdreau - who would have known if he was injured in the last slump - was pretty unequivocal in his opinion that the last slump was a result of confidence, and notably, didn't mention any injury. And again, his opinion was that confidence was causing this slump.

I could easily flip it around? Why are you so confident it's not an injury?

Well, I had said that on a balance of probabilities (i.e., 51%+) it thought an injury was not the primary cause for Pettersson's play. I think its pretty hard to be overly confident either way when we aren't privy to all the data. But with that said, there just isn't any evidence that he actually is injured other than simply speculating that he looks bad, and therefore, must be injured.

But I do think Boudreau's opinion on this matter should be weighed heavily, and frankly, I'm surprised you can have any level of confidence that injuries are causing his struggles given that Boudreau has expressly stated his view that Pettersson's confidence is causing them.

Are you Petey's sports psychologist? You're just speculating like everyone else, except doing so with some pseudo-psychiatric assessment.

I'm not speculating as to what the cause is. I took issue with the contention that injuries are the primary cause as there isn't any meaningful evidence that injuries are causing his struggles. Boudreau, of course, is speculating, but he obviously has way more information and insight into the matter and is in a position where his speculation should be given quite a bit of credence.

Again, its crazy to me that people would prefer, or feel it is more likely, that injuries are causing Petey's struggles (without any real evidence of this) over the opinion of his former coach who coached him through eerily similar struggles.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Again, I already addressed this, and as far as I can tell, you never replied,
Why would I continue to reply to someone who willingly ignores any nuance in argument?

I get what Boudreau says, but the balance of probabilities appears to be an injury to me, because he physically is unable to do things we expect him to do (like basic skating acceleration). I have never seen him, even in previous slumps, look this physically limited from a mobility perspective.

Last edited:

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Was it game 1 when he missed a wide open net or got robbed by the goalie then laughed his ass off about it? Like it's this fun, silly cute little game a bunch of buddies are playing together?

I'm sick of seeing these overpaid soft Swedes clinging to Vancouver and then dropping the ball when it matters most.

Missing a wide open chance isn't funny. Falling down and getting pushed around doesn't make you look innocent and cute. Play like a man or get out.

• Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Guarantee you that the vast majority of the posters in here that want him bought out/traded were the same ones who wanted Garland traded for scraps at the start of the season, wanted Hughes traded a couple of years ago, thought Miller was a cancer last year and are now also wondering if Demko should be moved for being injury prone.

Airdrop these fans into another fanbase and they’ll say the same shit about other team’s good players during down seasons or cold steaks.

Petey needs to be better but trading him is ridiculous, the odds of winning that trade are low as hell

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
This isn't a cold streak this is now a trend, a predictive pattern.

Nobody wants him gone because of the pattern. Most of us want him gone because a player with his cap hit cannot and should not have that pattern.

At 7-8M we talk about it but would deal w it.

At 11.6M its simple unacceptable.

Its really not that hard to understand.

I’d rather have 2 x 6M dollar players that can put up 60-65 points consistently and show up when it matters.

Last edited:

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Why would I continue to reply to someone who willingly ignores any nuance in argument?

Before you just suggested that I wasn't intelligent enough or something to understand your nuance (which was quite arrogant, and very rude!) and now you are suggesting I am willingly ignoring your nuance? LOL. I am engaging you in good faith and providing pretty clear reasons for why I think the way I think. Again, if a player looks bad, and that player's counting stats are bad, I don't think anyone criticizing that player needs to offer any further evidence then their counting stats.

I get what Boudreau says, the but the balance of probabilities appears to be an injury to me, because he physically is unable to do things we expect him to do (like basic skating acceleration). I have never seen him, even in previous slumps, look this physically limited from a mobility perspective.
His last slump was eerily similar to this and he looked equally as bad. You can go back and read the past threads. And at that time, people assumed/speculated he was injured as well. This is basically deja vu.

So, you "get what Bourdreau says", but despite having far less information and insight into the current situation than Boudreau does, you are willing to disregard his opinion in favour of an alternate explanation, and then conclude that that alternate explanation is the more probable one? Pretty dubious, but Ok.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
As I said before the worst thing is they're going to have to go out and pay a Guentzel or trade for a scoring winger now just to play with Pettersson as he has proven he can't make players better on his own. We'll lose several players because of him and won't be able to build a strong supporting cast. This will be a very top heavy cap team like the Leafs within a few seasons.

Reactions: TropicOfNoReturn

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
As I said before the worst thing is they're going to have to go out and pay a Guentzel or trade for a scoring winger now just to play with Pettersson as he has proven he can't make players better on his own. We'll lose several players because of him and won't be able to build a strong supporting cast. This will be a very top heavy cap team like the Leafs within a few seasons.
Or you trade him for 2 top 6 players.

Jarvis/Necas

lawrence

May 19, 2012

this is our little alien 4 years ago.

Granted he struggled in round 1 and lucky for us, we had other players step up for us in the 6 games, from Desmith, Silov Boeser Miller Etc.

this is our boy. He was no hero, but he assisted in the series-winning goal.

Clearly Petterson is playing with an injury.

in this highlite package we see a healthy Petey. If he was 100% I think he would do very very well against Oilers defence.

WE BELIEVE IN YOU PETEY!!!!!

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
He wasn’t bad which is progress. He really needs to stay on his skates.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Nice to see him playing an important part on a massive goal.

Hilarious that he made it happen with Miller's linemates instead of his own, which I guess supports those who were defending him using his lack of quality linemates as a main reason for his struggles (albeit ironic that Suter chose this moment to finally bury one of his bushel full of chances).

He will still need to up his game multiple notches if we are to do anymore damage, assuming his apparent injury allows it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad