Zach Bogosian

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I think Maurice will have a plan for Bogo. Bogo likely focuses his training on strength, and power, but less on conditioning which may lead to some of the injury problems he has had. I would think that Bogo is in the BIG group of guys that needs work on their conditioning. Same with Troubs.

I think TNSE is excited for the future with fitter guys, who are coached well, and play a up tempo pressure game. Bogosian skating ability will serve him well there.

IMO, TNSE is wanting to see how Bogo and many of the other guys (Buff, Kane) plays after a full year with Mo, before we write them off or trade them.
actually I remember hearing from one of the coaches that Bogo was one of those players that are able to play whole game because his conditioning was so good.I'm guessing flexibility would be the biggest issue but I'm sure the trainers who do this as a profession are on top of it.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
actually I remember hearing from one of the coaches that Bogo was one of those players that are able to play whole game because his conditioning was so good.I'm guessing flexibility would be the biggest issue but I'm sure the trainers who do this as a profession are on top of it.
Yoga!!

I plan to do a numbers piece on Bogo in the coming weeks. I have had some interesting preliminary findings.

jetkarma*

Yoga!!

I plan to do a numbers piece on Bogo in the coming weeks. I have had some interesting preliminary findings.

Interesting can be in a positive or negative way , I think I know which direction these will be.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
Yoga!!

I have a theory* on Bogo - be curious if it jives with your findings

*needs to be primary puck mover and actually have fewer options available to him

also see alot of Phanuef issues where they are trying to turn a PMD/OD into a Shutdown D

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I am concerned about him. Definite step back. Plus guys who work out too much often become injury prone.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
By GM simulation league do you mean NHL 14 or something else? Once I learn what type of league it is I will offer advice.

Awesome, thanks for the response. It's like a fantasy keeper league where players are assigned stats based on real life performance and an engine simulates the games. Basically imagine that it is more or less the same to real life except that team needs in regards to trades are different because most teams in the game have made trades altering their teams.

So if possible try to look at value in a vacuum. Hopefully I explained it correctly.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
He better pull up his socks.....If we all think the Pav contract is bad then Bogo playing they way he did this year for another 6 years at 5 mil + would be just as bad ugggggggg

I just hope he was playing dinged up and this season was an aberration .

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
I am concerned about him. Definite step back. Plus guys who work out too much often become injury prone.

this, he's up to like 500lbs too right? Keep calm and stick to 275 like Kaner lol.

No but really, he seems weight training obsessed and thats not always beneficial. Idk, who compared him to Pheanuf above, but that made me kind of sad.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Which is odd because for whatever reason Toby seems to play better alongside more risk taking defensemen like Buff and trouba.

Enstrom is actually an overrated puck mover. His go-to move under pressure is to spin back and pin the puck against the boards, which only serves to delay the turnover. He is a smart player when he has time, but he certainly can't (or doesn't try to) get out of trouble like Buff or Trouba can.

I agree Bogo deferred to Enstrom on the breakout way too much. I think skating the puck up ice more will help him gain back his confidence, as would staying healthy and being able to play his physical game. Personally, I'd like to see Trouba with Enstrom and Bogosian with Clitsome (or someone other than Enstrom or Stuart) next year.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Enstrom is actually an overrated puck mover. His go-to move under pressure is to spin back and pin the puck against the boards, which only serves to delay the turnover. He is a smart player when he has time, but he certainly can't (or doesn't try to) get out of trouble like Buff or Trouba can.

I agree Bogo deferred to Enstrom on the breakout way too much. I think skating the puck up ice more will help him gain back his confidence, as would staying healthy and being able to play his physical game. Personally, I'd like to see Trouba with Enstrom and Bogosian with Clitsome (or someone other than Enstrom or Stuart) next year.

I'd love to see Bogo next to a guy like Methot or Hamhuis.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Yeah, a good number #2, or excellent #3/4. Which is what he is right now.

Bogo's a #5-#6 D man on any playoff calibre team. Best years were year two in the NHL and Jets inaugural season. Pretty inconsistent career.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I really hope Bogo has a bounce back season. I think it may be a little too early to give up on him but one thing I would really want to see is more of an offensive game. I see signs of him rushing the puck but then he just curls back way too often, he has the tools but seems to lack the confidence to use them.

He could learn a thing or two from Adam Pardy, there is a guy without any tools but manages to pull off some sweet dangles in the offensive zone.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
he certainly isin't #2, especially after this season. lets be honest...

He played at that level or very close to it when paired with Enstrom and getting 23 plus minutes a night. Sorry, I don't agree with some people here that want to go all chicken little with Bogo on every little mistake. People should watch more hockey than just the Jets and this years playoffs is a great example of very good defensemen making boneheaded plays, but getting bailed out by their goalie. Bogo became a whipping boy here for some this year, and no matter what good he would do, people just loved to herp and derp about him in GDT's.

Bogo's a #5-#6 D man on any playoff calibre team. Best years were year two in the NHL and Jets inaugural season. Pretty inconsistent career.

Bogo would be a solid middle pair guy on more than half of the current playoff teams IMO.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

The only team Bogosian would not make the top 4 of is St. Louis because he'd be behind Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk. He'd be the #2 or #3 guy on basically every playoff team.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He played at that level or very close to it when paired with Enstrom and getting 23 plus minutes a night. Sorry, I don't agree with some people here that want to go all chicken little with Bogo on every little mistake. People should watch more hockey than just the Jets and this years playoffs is a great example of very good defensemen making boneheaded plays, but getting bailed out by their goalie. Bogo became a whipping boy here for some this year, and no matter what good he would do, people just loved to herp and derp about him in GDT's.

Bogo would be a solid middle pair guy on more than half of the current playoff teams IMO.

Yea we need Zach to stay healthier and sure he is not Doughty or Pietrangelo but as usual our board is over reacting to Bogo’s drop in production this season. Zach is a very solid top 4 NHL defender "as is" over his sample size in Winnipeg. I agree with your sentiment on watching other playoff teams and games and even the best of the best are getting their pants pulled down allot. To defend is to get embarrassed at some point.

boanst

May 25, 2013
It looked like he missed having Hainsey there to tell him where to go for about half the season.

Pairing him with a veteran defensively solid LHD better than Stu would be my priority.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Yea we need Zach to stay healthier and sure he is not Doughty or Pietrangelo but as usual our board is over reacting to Bogo’s drop in production this season. Zach is a very solid top 4 NHL defender "as is" over his sample size in Winnipeg. I agree with your sentiment on watching other playoff teams and games and even the best of the best are getting their pants pulled down allot. To defend is to get embarrassed at some point.

Exactly PS. For many GDT's, it seemed like it was some sort of meme to jump on Bogo. And then after the game, I would post that Bogo played the most minutes (usually), and was probably one of our better defenders.

I am looking forward to Truck's article on Bogo as well. Maybe some of my thoughts will change.

But Garret has also said the following:

"I only think Bogo has disappointed some because he is what he is and is not what he is not.

He is a solid 5v5 offensive defensemen who skates with the puck very, very well and solid PKer.

He is not a shutdown defensemen who crushes tough minutes (but on the other hand isn't crushed by them) and not a high-end power play producer.

Basically solid #2/3 depending on team dynamics, usage, depth.

IMO I'd love to see:
Enstrom-Trouba
X-Bogosian
Stuart-Clitsome/Postma"

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=82274499&postcount=658

Which is what I think and have said as well. Islander fans love Hamonic. Bogo is a better defenseman, but Bogo was drafted 3rd, and Hamonic at the top of the second. I think some people can't get the idea out of their head that Bogo should be as good or better than AP right now.

Injuries are a concern though and we need him to stay healthy for extended stretches for sure.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

I also think Bogo was unbelievably unlucky this year, so many bad bounces went against him, pucks deflecting off him, etc. It seemed like a black cloud was following him around and maybe zapped his confidence at times. I'm betting things will be better. To me he was better after Maurice took over so I agree too much panic going on in regards to a still young defenceman

Whileee

May 29, 2010
... I thought that Zach Redmond was as good or better than Postma at the end of the season. Do we still think that he is out of the picture for the Jets?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad