Zach Bogosian

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Great article truck. It would be interesting to see Zach paired with a more solid stay at home guy and cut loose a bit (oh wait Hainsey is gone). Interesting that allot of scoring from defenders can be so streaky as well. As I recall Zach finished off both 2011-12 and strike shortened 12-13 pretty strongly. I especially remember 12-13 (before his concussion) when he seemed to get more time on the ice with the LLW line late in the year and he got on a roll.

I am a fan of Bogosian but he seems to be caught between a rock and a hard place. He is an offensive defensman that has been trapped behind one of the best in the game and I think that caused Noel to try to make Zach into a more defensive defensman. He also has Trouba pressing on the right side as a kid who loves to push the play.

Some savvy GM from another team that needs a RH PP/ offensive D man would be wise to try to trade for Zach.
Thanks

DiehardKingsFan

Jul 28, 2006
I love Bogo, I remember half hoping we'd draft him (obviously glad we have Doughty). Hope he gets his stuff together and realizes his potential, still has enormous upside. Also hope it doesn't require a change of scenery so that he doesn't end up on the Ducks or something.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I love Bogo, I remember half hoping we'd draft him (obviously glad we have Doughty). Hope he gets his stuff together and realizes his potential, still has enormous upside. Also hope it doesn't require a change of scenery so that he doesn't end up on the Ducks or something.

I would be shocked if Zach was traded in the next 2-3 years, but if ever was I would be more shocked still if he was traded to a Western team. Don't worry it won't happen.

jetkarma*

IMO he is definitely a guy that needs to elevate his game , production and effectiveness if we are to improve as we hope. Right now he is close to being a JAG type , and that can't be for a former #3 OA , that is where TNSE is showing how they are different/better .

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I don't mind what he is, I just think he's overpaid.

To use the mid-2000's Senators as a comparison, I think Bogosian is going to be Chris Phillips on the 2nd pairing while Trouba and Morrissey become our Chara and Redden.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
I don't mind what he is, I just think he's overpaid.

To use the mid-2000's Senators as a comparison, I think Bogosian is going to be Chris Phillips on the 2nd pairing while Trouba and Morrissey become our Chara and Redden.

I couldn't totally live with him at that level. Phillips was an excellent #3 on a very good team. Took some difficult minutes, too.

Phillips had a knack for elevating his partner's game that Bogo doesn't seem to have, though. That's something that would be difficult to develop too, I would think.

I also agree with you about the overpaid thing...

jetkarma*

This gets back to the current Jets drafting , if the top picks perform to the level or above their draft slot that is a positive , if they perform below that it isn't. Obviously to the degree on how that happens is a key but right now he isn't at the level he was drafted at or the level it appears Scheifele , Trouba or Morrissey will be , imo .

Still a lot to be determined re Bogosian though and if he steps up and stays healthy , that will go a long way to solidifying the d corp. Crossroads???

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
70 + games this season would be a great start, then if his shooting % can return to normal I think more posters would be chatting about Bogo as an important part of the future again.

Shooting % improvement is a given........Zach's ability to stay relatively healthy.....:crossfing :help:

jetkarma*

70 + games this season would be a great start, then if his shooting % can return to normal I think more posters would be chatting about Bogo as an important part of the future again.

Shooting % improvement is a given........Zach's ability to stay relatively healthy.....:crossfing :help:

And less WTF moments . Time to put things in sequence and to be more of a difference maker imo . He has the ability , we all know and see that , just needs to do it . Be a huge plus if he elevates his game to near where it should be.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
badly rushed into the league, at the throats of his coaches in Atlanta....

Bogosian being rushed is a very debatable subject considering how good his rookie year was, being physically mature, and having an outstanding draft year scoring 61 in 60.

"Badly" rushed it just plain wrong.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Bogosian being rushed is a very debatable subject considering how good his rookie year was, being physically mature, and having an outstanding draft year scoring 61 in 60.

Agree.

To me, a couple of things hurt his development. Getting injured in his first year. Then the wrist issue.

But I also believe that trading for Buff hindered him a bit. Buff was now in the #1 pairing, getting the pp reps and being that purely offensive guy, but not really a defensive guy. That forced them, IMO, to try to make Zach a shut down dman, and leave Buff to put up points. As a result, I think Bogos complete game has failed. If he's not a solid shut down guy, then his value appears to be less.

I would much rather the Jets pair him with a guy that is more stay it home, but still a smart puck mover, and allow Zach to move up into the play more when the situation calls for it.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
And less WTF moments . Time to put things in sequence and to be more of a difference maker imo . He has the ability , we all know and see that , just needs to do it . Be a huge plus if he elevates his game to near where it should be.

Yea most development isn't linear and I agree with your post, this would be a nice season for Zach to reach the next level.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Agree.

To me, a couple of things hurt his development. Getting injured in his first year. Then the wrist issue.

But I also believe that trading for Buff hindered him a bit. Buff was now in the #1 pairing, getting the pp reps and being that purely offensive guy, but not really a defensive guy. That forced them, IMO, to try to make Zach a shut down dman, and leave Buff to put up points. As a result, I think Bogos complete game has failed. If he's not a solid shut down guy, then his value appears to be less.

I would much rather the Jets pair him with a guy that is more stay it home, but still a smart puck mover, and allow Zach to move up into the play more when the situation calls for it.

Agreed Bob. IMO, Bogo is at his best when he's playing angry and physical in our end, but using his excellent wheels to make plays with the puck.

A stay at home D like an Alzner type would be nice to see as his partner.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Agreed Bob. IMO, Bogo is at his best when he's playing angry and physical in our end, but using his excellent wheels to make plays with the puck.

A stay at home D like an Alzner type would be nice to see as his partner.

Bang on, Huff.

Been thinking about Alzner for a few years now as a guy for our top 4, and pair with Bogo. But his contract is so good, the Caps would be crazy to move him.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Bang on, Huff.

Been thinking about Alzner for a few years now as a guy for our top 4, and pair with Bogo. But his contract is so good, the Caps would be crazy to move him.

Oh for sure. I would think he would be an untouchable for them. I was just using his name as a type.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Oh for sure. I would think he would be an untouchable for them. I was just using his name as a type.

That's the type, for sure. A guy that can play big minutes in a shut down role, but is still pretty good in his own zone.

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
do you think trade bogo on draft day can be a good idea? comming from his worst season, but I think a lot of teams would give a couple of assets to take a gamble on that guy...

and that guy need a change of senaries, do you take a top 20 pick and a good prospect or top 4 D man, like coburn and Phi 1st 14? Etem and the 10 overall this draft? other?

if he continu to be behind buff and enstrom, and now trouba, as well morrisey soon, Bogosian will never get 1st PP time and top pairing dutys, you might better get 2-3 assets for Bogo now than a no 4 D man who never reach his potentiel for you...

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
do you think trade bogo on draft day can be a good idea? comming from his worst season, but I think a lot of teams would give a couple of assets to take a gamble on that guy...

and that guy need a change of senaries, do you take a top 20 pick and a good prospect or top 4 D man, like coburn and Phi 1st 14? Etem and the 10 overall this draft? other?

if he continu to be behind buff and enstrom, and now trouba, as well morrisey soon, Bogosian will never get 1st PP time and top pairing dutys, you might better get 2-3 assets for Bogo now than a no 4 D man who never reach his potentiel for you...

Why would you trade him after an abnormally bad season when is value is at an all time low?

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013

He had 23 points and was minus 18. That doesn't say good rookie year. I don't see how his draft year is relevant either.

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
Why would you trade him after an abnormally bad season when is value is at an all time low?

I think his value is not that low, maybe a lot on teams, like me, still believe in his potential and think he need a fresh start, in winnipeg he dont get 1st PP time and top pairing ice time...

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He had 23 points and was minus 18. That doesn't say good rookie year. I don't see how his draft year is relevant either.

Not to nit pick but in Zach's rookie year he had 9 goals 10 assists in 47 games and he was a plus 11 (I hate + - but put in in for the record). Keep in mind Bogo broke his leg 8 games into the season and had to miss months and start back with the AHL team to get in shape. he had a really impressive pro debut for an 18 year old. He was a full year younger than Trouba and put up similar goals in less games. I believe garret or truck posted that his rookie year was one of the best ever for 18 year old D men in a few categories.

He also had a fast start to his 2nd season until broke his thumb and injurred his wrist on October 31st. He Played through the injury that year but it really screwed him up.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

Yeah. No.

Bogosians rookie season was very good and he looked like a franchise d-man for the future. Very much like Jacob Trouba actually ;) physical, jumping the rush, making plays and scoring goals. His sophomore season was quite a let down afterwards.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not to nit pick but in Zach's rookie year he had 9 goals 10 assists in 47 games and he was a plus 11 (I hate + - but put in in for the record). Keep in mind Bogo broke his leg 8 games into the season and had to miss months and start back with the AHL team to get in shape. he had a really impressive pro debut for an 18 year old. He was a full year younger than Trouba and put up similar goals in less games. I believe garret or truck posted that his rookie year was one of the best ever for 18 year old D men in a few categories.

He also had a fast start to his 2nd season until broke his thumb and injurred his wrist on October 31st. He Played through the injury that year but it really screwed him up.

I just don't get the let's trade Bogo talk. After his first season in Winnipeg he looked destined to be a top pairing guy. He has struggled a bit over the last couple seasons mostly due to injuries so we are going to dump him. If you look around the league teams are searching for young defenseman like him. He is signed long term on a reasonable contract. Buff is likely gone this off season, if we then dump Bogo we might end up with a Clitsome/Postma 2nd pairing. Ouch. We need another 2nd pairing defenseman not get rid of the only one we have. One of my biggest fears for the Jets is Chevy gets happy feet and unloads a guy like Bogo and he reaches his potential in a new environment, and we are forever trying to find a large bodied minute eater for the 2nd pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad